Better Bottle scum, how do you get rid of it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
So I got a little lazy after I just recently completed my first AG brew, and decided to wait to clean the Better Bottle. I boiled some water on the stove, and swished it around the bottle for a few minutes, and then added a rag like the Better Bottle website suggests and swished the rag along with the hot water in the carboy for a few minutes. I even then added some brown rice, because I read that could help; see thread

I tried all those methods of cleaning, but there is still some gunk on the top of the bottle, and I do not know what is going to be the best way to remove it. I am open to any suggestions, and as of right now the bottle is sitting outside filled with water because I am hoping soaking the bottle with water for a day or two will help break up some of the remaining gunk.

Image link

Image:

betterBottlegunk.jpg

I always soak with PBW for about 24 hours right after I rack out of the BB. Then I empty and rinse/shake with a bit of water 2-3 times. It hasn't let me down so far. I'm sure results with oxy-free would be similar.

I use hot water and oxy-clean for my Better Bottles. Will rinse as much out as I can with just a gallon or so of hot water and then fill with more hot water and a scoop of the oxy-clean, let it sit for an hour or two and rinse out, all clean and ready to brew again!

+1 Give the oxiclean a try. Add hot tap water, 1 scoop of oxiclean and let it soak for several hours than rinse with hot water. For real tough krausen rings I've never had to do this more than two times and it all just dissolves away.

Yup PBW. Oxyclean works just as well.

What I usually do is3 gallons of hot PBW solution, then dump and mix another 3 gallons and invert the better bottle in a sink, bucket, or tub to do the top part.

i use hot water and oxy-clean for my better bottles. Will rinse as much out as i can with just a gallon or so of hot water and then fill with more hot water and a scoop of the oxy-clean, let it sit for an hour or two and rinse out, all clean and ready to brew again!

+1

As above, oxyclean works well. So does a single dishwasher tablet. You mentioned you boiled water and put it in....don't do that.....they will deform.

Another for Oxyclean.. but be careful on your water temp. Those bottles will warp (or worse) if your water is too hot. I've not had this issue, but others have posted pictures here of their better bottles.

Yeah oxyclean works great. The walmart brand called "Sun" works the best. It doesn't have any perfume or soaps. So it doesn't foam as much and leaves no scents.

Mix a scoop or 2 with hot tap water and soak overnight. VERY IMPORTANT to rinse it all off with HOT tap water. You don't want to leave an oxyclean residue.

But never use boiling water. The max temp for better bottles is 140F Most tap waters are 120F.

First, make sure you are not using water over 140 deg.

Second, Oxyclean free, and let it soak. Given enough time it should loosen up everything so a good shake should be all that's necessary.

+1 for Oxyclean. only the OP did not mention Oxyclean! so thats 14 posts in a row including this one that mentions Oxyclean, so I would go with Oxyclean, yeah definitely Oxyclean....

I've heard that Oxyclean works well. :) I let mine soak overnight with the Oxyclean solution, rinse, then use about a pint of white vinegar in a quart or so of water to swish around, rinse that out thoroughly and follow up with a pint or two of distilled water to make sure there won't be any water spots when it dries so I can see that it is really clean. Probably overkill, but I like the results.

I had a similar problem. I put a few scoops of Oxiclean in, filled it with water, and left it out in the sun for 3 days. Problem so solved!

Yes - Oxiclean seems to be the winner ...it is for me and my Better Bottles..get the scent-free tub and worry no more.

No need to fill the BB up. Put PBW (or Oxyclean) and a gallon or so of hot water in the BB.Invert the BB into a bowl of water. The neck and the top of the bottle will soak and get clean in just an hour or so (with PBW).

yes, but..If you rinse out the trub,then fill it with hot water Oxy right away you are staying ahead of it,rather than letting it just set dirty.

I just use hot water and a dishrag. Stuff the dishrag down the neck of the BB, add hot water and swirl the bejeezus out of it. Been doing it for years and works a treat. And I don't have to buy Oxyclean :)

-Joe

After I rack out of my BB, I immediately fill it 1/3 up with warm (NOT HOT) water and a drip of StarSan and shake the hell out of it.

I do this once or twice and dump it in the toilet. 99% of the crud comes off immediately. Anything left, I'm able to scrub out with a few quick whacks with a bottle brush that I've bent into roughly the shape of the inside of the bottle.

Always clean your gear immediately, is my MO.

and then added a rag like the Better Bottle website suggests and swished the rag along with the hot water in the carboy for a few minutes.
Sorry, I somehow missed this bit. If the rag doesn't work, a hot water soak then rag should. Gotta soften that crud up a bit.

-Joe

I mentioned it earlier, but seriously, a squirt or tablet of dishwashing detergent work really well. And you have it. Right now. In your house.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE OXYCLEAN!!!

I ruined 14 of my carboys with that garbage!!!!!:mad:

Glass or Plastic carboys? How are they ruined? If they're plastic, are you using a tennis ball or something similar when shaking them?

Back