Best yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
What is the best yeast to use for an amber ale, I am going brew ferment and secondary over bourbon soaked oak chips!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1056 is good, 05, 1450, 1272, 001, 002, Nottingham, would all work. IMO 1450, 1272 and 002 would all accentuate the malt character a bit better

Sent from the Commune

I'm about to brew an amber this weekend. Planned a little last minute so I'll be using US-05 (dry yeast) but WLP001 or wyeast 1056 are good liquid choices. Really anything that ferments nice and clean works well.

Monsterbrew.com is recommending American ale blend yeast WLP060 how does that differ from California ale yeast WLP001?

Best is too subjective. As duboman listed there are a lot of choices. All of them are good, none are "best". It comes down to preferences.

Right I got that, I guess I should have said what would you recommend and why?

Completely agree with KH. Best only means what matches your intentions or preferences.

Do you want fruity, dry, phenolic, etc.

Nothing fruity, not sure what phenolic means, so I guess dry

Best is too subjective. As duboman listed there are a lot of choices. All of them are good, none are "best". It comes down to preferences.

Agreed. What is your favorite amber ale? If you can do some research on that beer's yeast, you can typically find a similar yeast from white labs or wyeast. That would be my strategy. Personally, I like Wyeast Northwest Ale for a slightly fruity finish. US 05 is a safe bet.

Roed Haus Brewery

Back