Best Yeast for Blackberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
Last year I made a 1 gallon batch of blackberry wine for the first time. I used Cotes des Blanc to preserve the fruity flavor. My initial taste test was pleasing. I plan to make another gallon batch this year. Is there a better yeast for blackberry? Someone suggested 71B-1122 to reduce malic acid. What do you suggest?

Last year I made a 1 gallon batch of blackberry wine for the first time. I used Cotes des Blanc to preserve the fruity flavor. My initial taste test was pleasing. I plan to make another gallon batch this year. Is there a better yeast for blackberry? Someone suggested 71B-1122 to reduce malic acid. What do you suggest?
I just bottled a blackberry wine and used cotes myself it tasted good a little acidic maybe, but fruity. Got some 71b in the fridge I'm trying next.

Examining old scribbled note books. I must be neater when scrawling. Some of this is hard to decipher.

2009 with D47 = made a mild tawny weak port like wine more like a fortified wine 10/10 - would make again but have said it needed more body
2013 late foraging wine - Youngs red burgundy yeast on blackberries, sloes and elderberries = would make again with less sloes 10/10.
2015 blackberry and pekmez - Youngs Bordeaux red = haven't bottled yet so no mark
2017 blackcurrant - Youngs dessert yeast= haven't bottled yet so no mark
2017 blackberry - Youngs dessert yeast = too sweet but still lovely.
2017 crabs and blackberry - dessert yeast again = syrupy liqueur with a tart finish
2017 blackberry and elder with a touch of pear - pinched a starter from a dessert wine = was thin so 6/10
2017 blackberry, elder, touch of banana - Youngs burgundy = 8/10 bit earthy from the elder berries, like thin fruity port, needed body and would use sultanas and more tea next time.

Old rough notes scribbled to use Red Star/Lanvin burgundy yeast.

We use Lalvin, that's what our local winemaking shop suggested when we started and have had good luck with it. Just started five gallons of blackberry last week.

Last edited:
On the strength of this thread I have just bought five different Lalvin yeasts. I fancy making a number of batches of the same wine in exactly the same way but just using different yeasts to see what happens. Blackberries will be plentiful enough when the time comes.

Nice chart here. Press the plus's to find out more.
https://www.lallemandwine.com/en/uk-scandinavia/products/catalogue/wine-yeasts/

Back