Best way to incorporate honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus9414

Reaction score
I recently took a stab at adding honey to my brew following the primary and secondary fermentation. I stabilized the cider prior to kegging and thought it would be worthwhile to back sweeten with honey. When racking from the secondary to the keg, I added the honey into the keg. After kegging and purging the headspace, I laid the keg across my lap and agitated it for 10 minutes to try and mix the honey and cider. After about a week i tried it and was overwhelmed by the honey that settled in solution. Once a couple glasses were poured, the honey taste was nearly nonexistent. If it were possible to find a middle ground between these extremes, I'd be jacked. Has anyone found a great way to mix cider with honey other than heating the honey before adding it? I don't want to heat the honey all that much because I don't want to introduce oxygen into the cider if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Just before you stabalize it add your honey and use a drill mounted stirrer, then after the honey dissoved add your stabalizing agents. Keep the drill stirrer on the bottom and you dont have to go so fast to make it froth, we actually bought a cheapo electric drill to stir slower as our regular drill even on low churned things up to fast. You can warm your honey in its container in a sink full of hot tap water and it will be ok. WVMJ

Boil water, turn off heat, mix in honey to dissolve and then pour into secondary/keg...

You can also add the honey to the secondary for aging, just make sure to kill the yeast.

Latest posts

Back