Best way to get more (different) pressures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetStrunk

Reaction score
I currently have a single body, dual gauge regulator, but wanted to be able to do more than just one pressure.

I thought about returning the regulator (I got it as a gift) and getting a dual body one, but when I thought about it, I realized I really probably want three different pressures: regular beer, soda/fizzy water, and fizzier beer/cider/other. I also have a 1-into-4 gas manifold and will probably end up with between 4 to 6 kegs (looking at 3-4 beer, 1 soda, 1 other).

I know "buy a bunch of regulators" solves the problem, but it seems like there are some different choices, and regulators aren't particularly cheap. Do I buy primary ones and gang them together? Secondary ones and gang them together? Secondary ones and put them inline on each of the gas hoses? Inline off the manifold? Do I save a regulator by setting my primary to soda pressure, putting a wye on that line, and then using another regulator or two to reduce that to the other pressures I want?

[...]Do I save a regulator by setting my primary to soda pressure, putting a wye on that line, and then using another regulator or two to reduce that to the other pressures I want?

There ya go, that one right there. If you're going to be serving soda you'll need somewhere around 30psi on that keg, which is plenty of differential over the beer pressures you can run with secondary regulators.

I think ganged secondaries are the way to go in such cases. With one tee below your primary you can run your soda keg and feed the secondary gang. Then it's just a matter of deciding how many pressures you need, pick up a gang of that many secondaries, and either tees or manifolds to distributed them among your kegs...

Cheers!

Back