Best time to add raspberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mculbertson20

Reaction score
I am making the White House Honey Ale kit from Northern Brewer. I thought I would add some raspberries to the recipe. As I am new to home brewing, I have never done this before. Looking for any tips on when to add, and how much to use. The beer kit is for 5 gallons. I'm looking for only a little of the raspberry flavor. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Put them in your secondary or after the primary fermentation is over. When I did it, I used raspberry puree from midwest. One can was added about 3 weeks into the secondary. My beer spent almost 5 months in the secondary because I was using a friend's equipment and we got too busy with work. It was some tasty beer that I drank the last one almost a year from the day we brewed it. Sorry I cant comment on how much frozen or fresh raspberries to add.

I made a raspberry wheat that I used to 2 lbs. of frozen raspberries in the secondary for about 10 days.

depending on how new you are you to homebrewing, you could always add extract to your bottling bucket prior to bottling. I will say adding real raspberries to your secondary is definitely the preferred method, but if you don't have the equipment you can always do it the way I mentioned.

I used Raspberry puree and it came out great.
With whole raspberries the challenge is getting them in a form that the yeast can get to them.

Chances are that whole raspberries are covered in bacteria and yeast and mold.

I'd sanitize a blender, puree them, then freeze the puree to rupture the cell walls so the yeast can get everything.

Then add this to the secondary for at least 2 weeks, and maybe longer so the yeast can get at everything.
Adding the fresh raspberries to the secondary makes sure than any yeast and microbes are exposed to alcohol and a low pH and hopefully cuts down on infection risk.

Latest posts

Back