Best time to add bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I tend to brew NEIPA's and APA's most of the time. I'm not into the West coast hop bombs but tend to enjoy a mild hopped beer, like SNPA or Dales PA.

When I brew NEIPA's I normally add my bittering hops at FWH rather than at the beginning of the boil and I usually ignore any IBU value given for the WP.

I do find that FWH are less harsh but at times just not enough of a bite.

So I am trying to determine if I need to aim for a certain IBU for bittering hops when brewing APA's. Is it best to shoot for 20 IBU's from bittering and the rest from mid to late addition hops? Or should I aim for 30 IBU's from bittering hops and the rest from mid to late additions?

Is the consensus to go with FWH or beginning of the boil additions?

I FWH almost all my beers. Once I noticed the subtle difference I just never went back to adding hops at the boil. For my IPA's and hoppy beers I add all my IBU's at FWH then I don't add anything until WP. I usually like around 60-70 IBU's for my IPA's then, for 5 gallons, I'll add 4-8 oz's of hops in the WP, then dry hop with another 4 oz's or so.

I always get a nice bitter, resinous, IPA. Good luck!

Back