Best temps for coopers kit yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebrewin

Reaction score
I know it's probably **** yeast! But would you follow the temp directions that come with the kit or lower them to say 12-14 deg C

It will be sluggish at best st those low temps. I would say 18 would probably be the sweet spot.
Saying that, i have taken it up to 27-28 without too many problems.

Not sure what the instructions say, but you should be fine pitching and starting it off at 16-17*C then, after the first week, bringing it up to finish at around 18-19*C.

Those temps would be as measured on the fermenter, not the ambient air.

If you rehydrate that dry yeast in 37.7*C (100*F) tap water, it has a better chance of doing a good job (more cells)

Some would say 100°C in the boil as yeast nutriants for another better yeast :D
Keep it at the low end of the recomended, 18°. try not get over 21°

The reason I ask is one of my mates is getting into brewing and I just don't want it to work out terrible and turn him off brewing altogether lol Personally I use different yeast like us-05 or Nottingham don't like the coopers kit yeast at all.....

The reason I ask is one of my mates is getting into brewing and I just don't want it to work out terrible and turn him off brewing altogether lol Personally I use different yeast like us-05 or Nottingham don't like the coopers kit yeast at all.....

How much is a packet of us05? Might be a good idea to stare him down the better track by using a better dry yeast.

Coopers yeast will perform better at higher temperatures than US05 and that I feel is the main reason that Coopers put it in the kit. For beginners who have difficulties with maintaining lower temperatures in places like Australia it is a safer bet for them to reduce the likelihood of off flavours.

Back