Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribed. It's pretty cool that simplifying recipes can actually help a brewer learn MORE about malts, hops and yeast. Planning to do a SMaSH over the holiday, perhaps the much-referred-to MO/Amarillo. Here's what I was thinking for a 3 gal batch:

6 lbs MO
0.33 Amarillo FWH
0.33 Amarillo 20 min
0.33 Amarillo 0 min
US-05
34 IBUs

Not trying to make an IPA really - more of a pale ale. Any thoughts?

I did a Maris Otter/Simcoe Saison SMaSH w/ 3711 that turned out awesome. The dry tartness from 3711 paired w/ the Simcoe was a nice combination.

Just did another SMaSH with Golden Promise and Cascade. Tasted awesome going into the bottling bucket.

Subscribed. It's pretty cool that simplifying recipes can actually help a brewer learn MORE about malts, hops and yeast. Planning to do a SMaSH over the holiday, perhaps the much-referred-to MO/Amarillo. Here's what I was thinking for a 3 gal batch:

6 lbs MO
0.33 Amarillo FWH
0.33 Amarillo 20 min
0.33 Amarillo 0 min
US-05
34 IBUs

Not trying to make an IPA really - more of a pale ale. Any thoughts?

I made a MO/Armarillo SMaSH which I thought was delicious. I did hop mine up a little more for 60 IBUs and addition times were FWH, 15, 5 and 0.

I made a MO/Armarillo SMaSH which I thought was delicious. I did hop mine up a little more for 60 IBUs and addition times were FWH, 15, 5 and 0.
Appreciate the feedback, glad to hear! After further consideration I picked up a 2nd oz of amarillo and am thinking 45-ish IBUs. FHW, 20, 5, and a 1 oz hopstand for about 20 min or so. Have had some success with whirlpool stands and squeezing out extra flavor/aroma that way. Probably tomorrow...can't wait!:rockin:

Appreciate the feedback, glad to hear! After further consideration I picked up a 2nd oz of amarillo and am thinking 45-ish IBUs. FHW, 20, 5, and a 1 oz hopstand for about 20 min or so. Have had some success with whirlpool stands and squeezing out extra flavor/aroma that way. Probably tomorrow...can't wait!:rockin:

I have this planned again soon and will definitely be doing a hopstand.

Good luck!

I did a first smash Vienna/Eldorado pale ale with white lab kolsch yeast and currently drinking it on tap. It's quite tasty with a nice sweet/toast maltiness from the Vienna and the el dorado hop is pleasantly fruity. I guess I will making more smash recipes and naming it the smash hit series :mug:

I'm looking at doing a Cascade SMASH myself (going to pickup the ingredients on Friday in fact). What were your OG & FG? I'm hoping it to turn out a bit malty with some nice hop flavor but not a dry finish.

My best smash was 10 lb, Breiss 2 row pale
1 oz. cascade at 60
.5 oz cascade at 15
.5 oz. cascade at flameout.
1 oz. cascade 2 weeks dryhop after 2 weeks primary
Mash at 148 for 90
US-05
Great beer is really easy...

My best SMaSH used 2-row and Columbus. I'm planning an IPA with 2-row, some Munich, and just Columbus. I think I'm going to forgo a bittering charge and hopburst instead.

2 row and Centennial (Bell's Two Hearted)

2 row and Chinook (Stone's Arrogant Bastard)

I was going to do a SMaSH for my last beer because of this thread but I couldn't decide on which base malt to use, so I did a DMaDH. I made a pale ale with a base malt of 50% Vienna and 50% Marris Otter with 50% Nelson Sauvin and 50% Montueka hops. Of course, I call it my 50/50 Pale Ale and it is one of the best beers I have ever made in my 8 years of brewing. That could be partially because of my new DIY BrewPi temperature controlled fermentation chamber though. I'm a believer in simplicity.

I just finished carbing a Vienna and Nelson Sauvin as my first smash, not familiar with each but thinking that (by description) it'd be a good / interesting combo - the result was really nice... Malt comes across as soft and smooth and easy to drink, the hop adds this grape-like aroma to start that then fades / lingers in the background. Overall kinda has a smooth pale ale / hint of white wine thing going...

I must not have had enough hops for bittering - not getting much bitter at all.

I did an interesting SMaSH a few months ago -- a triple decoction bock with all Munich and Hallertauer. Came out very nice, a huge sweet malt bomb. Took me about 8 hours, though!

I'm not sure but I have one that will be bottled/kegged in two days. It just so happens to be my first all-grain batch as well:

Marris Otter/Nugget/Notty

The gravity sample I took when adding the dry hops was a kick in the face, so much flavor. I can not wait to try it in its completion.

I'm doing one with Briess Pale Ale malt and Centennial tomorrow. I recently read "Malt" and the author had some nice things to say about Briess in general and the pale ale malt in particular, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

In the end, I'm trying to find a way to give a nice malty backbone to other styles I brew, particularly IPAs. I figure the pale ale SMASH and the Munich/strisselspalt SMASH I have in the keg right now should be a good start.

Update from post sometime last year: Technical issues and waning ambition led to my first partigyle experiment being the only one. Golden Promise/Bramling Cross ordinary bitter SMaSH keg kicked faster than any beer I've made before or since. The barley wine from that batch is a bit too thin, though. WLP007 really put the wort through its paces, and didn't leave much malt flavor behind.

I have since done a Golden Promise/EKG best bitter (predictably delicious) and a Maris Otter/Northdown English IPA (oddly astringent).

Oh, and I did a SSSMaSH (single syrup, single malt, single hop) Belgian Quad (see signature). It'll be ready come Christmastime. Samples are INCREDIBLE, though.

Coming up before too long, I'll do another SSMaSH (Invert No.2, Golden Promise, and Bramling Cross) Ordinary Bitter.

At some point, I'll do a series of SMaSH Helles changing only the mash processes. Then maybe Pils and Dormunder Export by changing the water. But that's years off.

OG 1.074
FG 1.018
ABV 7.29%
SRM 7
IBU 74

5g batch size
Mash at 152
60 min boil

5 grams of Gypsum
13 lbs Maris Otter
.5 oz Citra 60
1.5 oz Citra 10
2 oz Citra 5
4 oz Citra 0
2.5 oz Citra Dry hop 6 days
2.5 oz Citra Dry hop 3 days

Wyeast 1217
Ferment at 63-64 deg 14 days

MO+EKG - great IPA
MO+citra - great modern golden ale
MO+ saaz - great pale ale and a great strong pale ale

Golden Promise plus any hops as a pale ale. 40-55 ibu. Cali yeast.
I've done 3 now that many different palates have enjoyed.

That said. I'm done with smash. I'd rather tweak a known good recipe. YMMV.

Golden Promise plus any hops as a pale ale. 40-55 ibu. Cali yeast.
I've done 3 now that many different palates have enjoyed.

That said. I'm done with smash. I'd rather tweak a known good recipe. YMMV.

GP is becoming my favourite base for a lot of things. Did a Golden Promise / Northern Brewer smash using S-04 that turned out great on it's own and would make a lovely base for a wheat or fruit brew. Or fruity wheat. :D

Have got a stockpile of hops of varying types in the fridge and picked up a ton of base grains over the weekend.... going to be making a lot of smash brews for the summer (when it finally arrives!!).

Kegged my MO/Amarillo SMaSH yesterday.

12 lbs MO, 4 oz Amarillo in the boil, 2 oz dry hop, mashed at 154°.

Keg sample was delicious.

1.061 OG
1.012 FG

Have a batch of MO / Citra that will be ready for consumption this weekend

Vienna / Willamette
2.5 Gal batch
3.5 lb Vienna
.5 hops at 60 mins, .5 at 30
half packet S05 yeast. This was a really great beer that all my friends loved. Making more soon.

Just bottled a Golden Promise/Mosaic SMaSH, took a sample and it tasted fantastic!

I made a Maris Otter/Centennial SMaSH a couple weeks ago and it's my favorite beer I've brewed yet. Of course, I've only brewed 14 batches and this was only my 3rd all grain batch, but still...

12 pounds Maris Otter mashed at 150
.5 ounce at 60
1 ounce at 10
1 ounce at 5
2.5 ounce dry hop for 3 days

Grain to glass in about a week and a half after force carbing in the keg and it's EXACTLY how I wanted it to turn out. Bright and citrusy at first and just a little bready at the end so you know you're not just drinking juice. This is going to be my house APA. I considered adding a little crystal next time to darken it up so that's it's within the style guidelines of an APA, but why mess with it if it's good and I like to drink it. This is the first beer that I've brewed that I WANT people to try.

I also brewed a Pils/Simcoe SMaSH a couple days before that and it's pretty good. WAY more clear than the MO/Cent SMaSH, even though the processes and recipe were essentially identical. I guess through my SMaSH experiments I'm learning that Simcoe isn't one of my favorites, even though it's a completely drinkable beer.

I tried one of the "Single Hop" series of beers at Cahaba Brewing (in Birmingham, AL) that used Mosaic. I'm looking forward to experimenting with that one...

A galaxy/MO at about 60 ibu's and 6% is prob one of my fav recipes. Sometimes simpler is really better.

Did a citra vienna, pilsner-cluster, and soon doing a MO and cascade (with grapefruit). Digging the simplicity of these.

Damn, 28 pages and only 1 used El Dorado. I'm planning on brewing a couple SMaSH brews. Base will be either MO or GP and hops will be Mosaic and one with El DOrado.
I would also like to do one that is not fruity or citrusy. Not sure of the hop type yet. I'm guessing NB or Mt Hood would be good.

A Pilsner SMASH is awesome. Soft water, enough grain to get in the 1.050ish range, mash at 149 or so. Bitter with an oz of Northern Brewer and add an oz of Hallertau at 5.

Ferment with a neutral ale yeast or do it as a lager - it'll be awesome either way.

ETA: Ale yeast, I'd use 1007 but Chico would work just fine.

Another edit: I suppose with Northern Brewer and Hallertau it's not a SMASH, but it's still a fine recipe.

Back