Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience is limited, but the best beer yet in my short career was a SMaSH ESB, Maris Otter and East Kent Goldings, yeast was WLP028. I think the yeast made all the difference, it was deceptively full of character.

Vienna, Wolf hops and US-05

Wolf hops? I haven't heard of them? Are they any good?

ZB

They are new this year I believe, from slovenia.

I used some in a hoppy Vienna based pale/ipa, along with styrian cardinal (also new), styrian aurora and will dry hop with styrian cascades

IT's still fermenting but fwiw the hops smelled great out the packet

Has anyone done a SMASH with chinook?
I'm contemplating doing one as my first all grain brew. Not sure if I want 2 row or MO though. Any thoughts?
Screenshot_2016-03-19-12-29-31_zpso7jhdbmg.png

I've done all chinook+MO golden ales before and they are good. Also had some Kernel pale ales and IPAs that are almost all MO (some low colour crystal iirc too )and all chinook and they are great

Madarina Bavaria. Not really a SMaSH as Magnum is my goto bittering charge (but becasue it is a default / always used bittering charge...I think it counts for the purposes of this thread for hop effect and comparison).
Magnum is neutral - and my first time with this Mandarina hop - canot wait to sample after conditioning!
10# Pale Two-Row
2# Vienna
1# Corn sugar

1oz Magnum
8oz Mandarina

1oz Magnum at 60
3oz Mandarina at 10
3oz Mandarina at FO
2oz Mandarina DH for 7 days

Mashed at 150f
DH goes in at primary @day 7 = today....about 3 hours ago

Smells great and gravity sample (burp) makes me believe I will be brewing this a lot.

Madarina Bavaria. Not really a SMaSH as Magnum is my goto bittering charge (but becasue it is a default / always used bittering charge...I think it counts for the purposes of this thread for hop effect and comparison).
Magnum is neutral - and my first time with this Mandarina hop - canot wait to sample after conditioning!
10# Pale Two-Row
2# Vienna
1# Corn sugar

1oz Magnum
8oz Mandarina

1oz Magnum at 60
3oz Mandarina at 10
3oz Mandarina at FO
2oz Mandarina DH for 7 days

Mashed at 150f
DH goes in at primary @day 7 = today....about 3 hours ago

Smells great and gravity sample (burp) makes me believe I will be brewing this a lot.

So two malts and two hops? That's really stretching it. :p

This guy came out pretty good

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: Vienna Simcoe Smash
Brewer: Tom
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (delicious)

Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Boil Size: 13.25 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 86.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 98.8 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2 1.2 %
2.00 oz Simcoe [10.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 38.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 4 8.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 20 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------

152 for 60 minutes then raised to 168 for mash out

Yeast was an inland island blend for my local HBS, Quirky's.

Not a true smash from the chocolate...but just for some color. I took this and spun it into a new recipe, adding some caravienne and victory malt, removing the chocolate, and keeping the rest the same. Fermenting now

Damn, 28 pages and only 1 used El Dorado. I'm planning on brewing a couple SMaSH brews. Base will be either MO or GP and hops will be Mosaic and one with El DOrado.
I would also like to do one that is not fruity or citrusy. Not sure of the hop type yet. I'm guessing NB or Mt Hood would be good.

Try Brambling Cross if you want a weird one.

I've just done a munich/styrian golding smash that came out great, but my favourite is still northern brewer/vienna smash.

going to be trying a mandarina bavaria/vienna next as the mandarina was dirt-cheap last time i ordered hops :D

Don't know if it's been posted, but Weyermann Pils and Mosaic SMaSH is sublime! It's the Lone Pint Yellow Rose recipe. Just remember to dry hop the crap out of it.

Two-row and Crystal hops with English yeast fermented in the upper 60's is another great one. When fresh, it had an almost strawberry ester, became more rising bread and plum as it aged a bit. Now it has a delicious barleywine-esque caramel sweetness, 9 months later. Still tastes like strawberry. :)

I'm doing a Golden Promise and Horizon SMaSH with a house yeast from a local brewery soon. Should make a good warm weather blonde.

I love SMaSH beers!

Challenger and Vienna SMaSH came out really well. I mashed at 150 'F and hopped with:
0.5 o at 60 min,
0.75 oz at 20 m and
0.75 oz at 2 min.
I got alot of sweeter orange than I expected from the hops and it is really complemented by the malty Vienna. It makes a drop-dead simple, cheap, tasty ale.

Has anyone done a SMASH with chinook?
I'm contemplating doing one as my first all grain brew. Not sure if I want 2 row or MO though. Any thoughts?

I did a Maris Otter/Chinook/US-05 smash this past Saturday. 12lbs MO, .5 oz hop for 60 minutes, 2 oz hops for a 30 steep & will dry hop 2 oz next week. Was very light in color but smelled good. Looking forward to this, as I have been wanting to try a simple recipe.

My regular beers are all IPA's with 12lbs of MO or Two Row, 1lb of Victory, Vienna, or Munich, & about 1/2 lb of Crystal 60 for some color. Most of the time I use just on type of hop, depending what I have on hand. US-05 is my regular yeast.

My experience is limited, but the best beer yet in my short career was a SMaSH ESB, Maris Otter and East Kent Goldings, yeast was WLP028. I think the yeast made all the difference, it was deceptively full of character.

How did you treat the WLP028? What temp was it at? Did you have temp control?

What do people think about this recipe? I'm thinking about brewing this next week.
I will call it a "Quebec SMaSH" since I am using local Malt and locally picked by myself Cascade Hop:

5Gal Batch
OG 1.058, FG 1.014 (72% eff.)
62.4 IBU
3.7 SRM
-----
11pounds "La Quebecoise" Malt (2.5 SRM)
1oz Cascade FWA
2oz Cascade 60min
1oz Cascade 15min
1oz Cascade 5min
2oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 days
US-05 Dry Yeast, 1 pack rehydrated.

Will mash at 1.25Qt/Pound at 152F, ferment at 64F for 2 weeks. Then Dry hop for 7 days. Carb at 2.3.

I'm not fond of Cascade for bittering. I might do an ounce at 60 or FWH and move the other two ounces later in the boil, perhaps as a whirlpool addition.

What do people think about this recipe? I'm thinking about brewing this next week.
I will call it a "Quebec SMaSH" since I am using local Malt and locally picked by myself Cascade Hop:

5Gal Batch
62.4 IBU
3.7 SRM
-----
1oz Cascade FWA
2oz Cascade 60min
1oz Cascade 15min
1oz Cascade 5min

Will mash at 1.25Qt/Pound at 152F, ferment at 64F for 2 weeks. Then Dry hop for 7 days. Carb at 2.3.

^^ I have to confess that I am referencing Cascade because of the Hop's smell. I hand picked it and the owner had no idea what type it was....
So it could end up amazingly good, too smooth or too bitter. Unfortunately I have no way to know (hence the reason I am doing a Smash, to determine what type of Hop it is for future brews)

^^ I have to confess that I am referencing Cascade because of the Hop's smell. I hand picked it and the owner had no idea what type it was....
So it could end up amazingly good, too smooth or too bitter. Unfortunately I have no way to know (hence the reason I am doing a Smash, to determine what type of Hop it is for future brews)

For anything earlier than about ~30 minutes, the amount to add will depend on the AA% of the specific bags of hops you have. After that, have at it, and it will depend on what kind of beer you want. Easy-sipping beer, solid pale ale, or face-melting IPA.

Any recommendations for a Mosaic hop SMaSH IPA or pale ale?

I was thinking Maris Otter for the malt but am also curious about Vienna and Munich malts.

I realize that, but unfortunately I have NO idea what is the AA% of the hops I harvested.
Free and fresh came at a cost :(

For anything earlier than about ~30 minutes, the amount to add will depend on the AA% of the specific bags of hops you have. After that, have at it, and it will depend on what kind of beer you want. Easy-sipping beer, solid pale ale, or face-melting IPA.

I was thinking Maris Otter for the malt but am also curious about Vienna and Munich malts.

I did a Maris Otter mosaic recently and it was awesome. Rough recipe below:

10lb Maris Otter
3oz acid malt (for Ph purposes)
0.25oz Mosaic - 60min
0.50oz Mosaic - 20min
1.00oz Mosaic - 5min
1.50oz Mosaic - 20min steep/whirlpool
1.75oz Mosaic - Dry hop 5 days

More than a couple of years ago and this would have been considered an IPA. These days the IPA extremists would call itmore of a pale ale, and is about 50 IBU (11.3% AA by the way).

Isnt 5-6% a bit low? I felt like casacde was more "median" with 8%..?

And it is indeed safer to use a known type for bittering, but then it wouldnt be a SMaSH, right? ;)

Golden Promise/Mosaic is the best SMASH I've ever done. I went with 13lbs of GP, 1oz FWH, 2oz at 15, 2oz 20 min whirlpool, and 3oz DH. I fermented low with Yeast Bay Vermont Ale.

I really enjoyed my Maris Otter / Simcoe / US-05 SMaSH. I did cheat and add 5% table sugar to bring the ABV up to 6.7% while keeping it dry.

First hop addition was at 20, then 15/10/5/0/dry for an easy drinking 35 IBUs.

Loads of juicy grapefruit/citrus flavour, no nasty bitterness.

While delicious, I can definitely see why people say that SMaSH beers are sometimes a bit one-dimensional so I'm brewing this again with 20% vienna, adding Amarillo to the hop schedule, more dry-hopping, and adjusting the water for better mash pH and more sulfate / calcium. The last gravity sample was really great.

I did a MO/Mosaic SMaSH a few months ago..it was okay, but not as good as my 2 row/Mosaic SMaSH I've done a few batches of. Came out a bit too malty for my taste, I like this one to be light & crisp. For the next round I'm going to use ESB 2 row with the Mosaic and see where that gets me.

Saison -

22lbs Pilsner
2oz FWH Sterling
2oz Sterling @ Whirl

Imperial Organics Rustic
Bottle Conditioned at 4 Vol

5Gal Batch
62.4 IBU
3.7 SRM
-----
1oz Cascade FWA
2oz Cascade 60min
1oz Cascade 15min
1oz Cascade 5min

I know technically, a SMaSH should only include one type of grain, but I feel the 4.4SRM and 1.055OG - 1.014FG (Beersmith numbers) will make a boring beer.... No? What do you think about me adding some kind malt to add a bit flavor/color?

I have done many SmAsH beers, i am torn between the fruity hops and more traditional varieties for which i find the best.

Galaxy was one of my favourite SmAsH recipes however im drinking my EKG one right now and its fecking delicious.

My mostly SMASH favorite I call "Chronicles of Red X".
15 lbs of Red X, 3/4 oz of Galena, dry hop with 2 oz of Falconer's Flight, WLP001.
Tasty.

Back