Best size fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
New to home brewing here and pretty much doing meads and ciders at the moment.

I like to do "test" batches (1 gallon) to start to get a feel for the recipe. Wouldn't want to ruin a whole five gallon batch.

I've been using one gallon carboys as primary's but now starting to rethink this as I'm not getting a "true" one gallon batch. I know I can use them as secondaries so no equipment is lost.

What does everyone recommend for good small batch fermenters?

Thanks

Little Big Mouth bubbler for Northern Brewer is about 1.4 gallons. It's a cinch to clean too since the cover is screw off. I wish they made a 3g version

little_bmb_1000_x700.jpg

For one gallon batches I really like using the Little Big Mouth Bubbler. It holds 1.4G so you can aim for a one gallon finished output with enough extra headspace during fermentation. I mainly do 2 or 2.5G batches now and use a 3G Better Bottle, or a 3G food-grade plastic bucket I found online. Had to add my own hole in the lid for an airlock.

When I was making kombucha I used a 2.5 gallon glass jar. It would probably be an ideal primary fermentation vessel for wines, ciders, and meads. After primary you could use a couple of 1 gallon jugs for secondary.

I haven't made kombucha in a long time, I might give the jar a clean and start some mead!

I use 2 one gallon glass carboys. It’s enough to make it worth it for me but still small enough to keep everything indoors and all grain. I get 16-20 beers, average 18 depending on how big the beer is. My trub layer is much bigger with a high gravity beer, because the thicker wort doesn’t allow the cold break to sink into my brew kettle, so a lot more gets into the fermentors. Using two fermentors allows me to do some interesting things, like my last brew was a partigyle and I have my big beer in one fermentor and my smaller beer in the other. Potentially, I could pitch two different yeasts into each fermentor. Generally though, I just use both to make the same beer.

Latest posts

Back