Best Production Beer for 22 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
What is the cheapest best beer you found in a 22 oz bottle. I just had a Berkshire Hefe that was 3.99, label peeled right off and the beer was fantastic. I would get more, but TSA might give me funny look at the airport tomorrow.

Think the cheapest I found was 1.59 at a Korean grocery store in San Jose. Beer was not good. Wish I remembered the name, but I went to the Meadery that night and had a few flights :)

I really dig the laguinas they are around 5 bucks at my local shop the beer is rad and the labels are super easy to the point I feel like I'm getting the beer for free

Actually had a Laguntias Hop Stoopid tonight too. Not a hop head, but thought the beer was good.

I found a 12 pack of 22 oz Red Rocket Ale at my beer distributor for 28 bucks. Great deal, the beer was about a year old but still tasted good. The only problem is that the labels have been hard to remove with oxyclean. The ink wipes right away but the label stays stuck.

I found a 12 pack of 22 oz Red Rocket Ale at my beer distributor for 28 bucks. Great deal, the beer was about a year old but still tasted good. The only problem is that the labels have been hard to remove with oxyclean. The ink wipes right away but the label stays stuck.

I made my first attempt at a Red Rocket clone yesterday. (Completely overshot my estimated OG level by 18 points, added 1/2 gallon previously sterilized water at the beginning of fermentation but beersmith still tells me my estimated ABV will be 7.3% so it will truly be ROCKET fuel.) Anyway, I'm curious what distributor had the Red Rocket. While I don't live in the "burgh", I visit family there quite often and would like to pick some up to get the 22 oz bottles on my next visit.

Go pens! (Watching the first preseason game while typing this.)

If you live near a Trader Joe's their "house" brand, actually called Mission, is $1.99 for a 22. Last time I was there they had a brown ale and a hefe. Not the best ever but drinkable. Contract brewed by someone in Paso Robles.

I can't be 100% sure, but it's my understanding that Trader Joe's Mission Street Pale Ale is secretly brewed by Firestone Walker (located in Paso Robles). One of the best bargains out there. If you can find it fresh it's delicious and sessionable.

Not beer related, but still related, I have it on pretty good authority that the Vodka sold at CostCo under their Kirkland brand is literally Grey Goose off the same bottling line just in a different package. I was told this by a friend who makes snack food under private label for a bunch of stores (Whole Foods, TJ's, Aldi, CostCo, etc.). Just goes to show how much you pay in mark up for brand names.

I made my first attempt at a Red Rocket clone yesterday. (Completely overshot my estimated OG level by 18 points, added 1/2 gallon previously sterilized water at the beginning of fermentation but beersmith still tells me my estimated ABV will be 7.3% so it will truly be ROCKET fuel.) Anyway, I'm curious what distributor had the Red Rocket. While I don't live in the "burgh", I visit family there quite often and would like to pick some up to get the 22 oz bottles on my next visit.

Go pens! (Watching the first preseason game while typing this.)

Got mine from Save Mor, right outside the city in Squirrel Hill. They got a great selection and very competitive prices from what I've noticed.

Edit: BTW that sounds like you may have come up with a good beer even if it isnt a true red rocket clone.

The Mission/TJ's stuff says Steinhaus Brewery on them with a Paso Robles address. I would believe it was Firestone Walker; my wife and I did a blind taste test of about 9 different hefes a few months ago for fun. We were surprised to find that the Mission was right up there on top with one of the German ones, but for different reasons. The German had a better yeast/wheat flavor, but the Mission had a slightly sweeter, ester-y taste.

Back