Best Priming Method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemingsFinest

Reaction score
This is a newbie question, but with my last two brews I have been very disappointed with the carbonation levels. My priming method simply consists of heating up water, mixing in my sugar, and pitching it directly into my bottling bucket with my fermented beer. I got this method out of a brief "how-to" manual that came with my first brewing kit, and I'm starting to lose trust in it.

What is the easiest and most reliable way to prime your beer? thanks.

That's the way I prime my beer too. When you add the beer to the priming solution, it should mix it up. If not, grab yourself a sanitized spoon and give it a few stirs. How much priming sugar (dextrose?) are you using? You may need to bump that up a tad if all else is equal. I use 2/3 cup dextrose for a 5 gallon batch. You could also use 1 and 1/4 cup dme. Are you sure that there is enough yeast and is it viable enough to carbonate? You may want to think about adding fresh yeast come packaging time. What temperature and how long are you carbing the brew at?

can you tell us what is disappointing you with the carbonation levels? It looks like what I do and i have not had a problem (well except the capper I broke tonight). One thing that might be different is that I put the sugar mixture into the bottling bucket, then add the beer to get it mixed in well.

Here you go:

1. When your beer is finish fermenting and conditioning, get 5 ounces (or 3/4 cup) of corn sugar* and boil with a pint of water to kill the germs.

2. Turn off heat and cool in ice bath (or not, if you wish) to room temperature (or the temp of your beer).

3. Pour into bottling bucket.

4. Transfer fermented beer into bottling bucket, causing it to swirl around and mix with the sugar solution.

5. GENTLY stir the mixture with a sanitized spoon to ensure proper mixing.

6. Fill bottles and cap.

7. Keep bottles beer in 70-80 degree location for 3 weeks (or more depending on the style) until they have carbed.

Using more corn sugar may increase the carbonation level, but you would risk overcarbing the bottles and creating gushers, or worse, bottle bombs.

*You can also use table sugar, or malt extract, but the amount will be different, as those have different amounts of fermentables, by weight.

Back