Best PID?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad041

Reaction score
I have been trying to search around the forum and looking online for the differences between PID's I find online. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to get or what to look at to decide? I am planning on getting 2 to run a rims system. I want to make one like the one High Gravity sells that runs 2 elements. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

The Auber ones have a good ratio of quality and affordability. Plus that is what many people here use, so you can easily ask questions. As for the best, you could spend hundreds of dollars on those.

Auber Instruments PID 2352 temp controller.

Lots of diagrams on this forum for set ups.

And mostly provide by a single man!

If you want easy to build I would go Auber. P-J's diagrams are based on them (correct me if I am wrong) and a lot of people use them so can help out. Plus the documentation is in actual English, and what they say on the box is what's inside!
If you have a fair bit of electrical/electronics background/knowledge or are able to learn the MyPin a near direct replacement, and the Sestos is comparable with a few limitations (°C only)

Hey guys what about the omron e5cc ? Any good ? i have a mate that wants to get rid of 2 for $60 i was thinking of replacing my inkbirds

Cheers
Screenshot_20190416-090226_Google~2.jpeg

I know Ss Brewtech uses those on their electric system, and I believe Grounded does as well. They seem to be pretty good, but I have no personal experience with them.

Just make sure they have DC output to drive SSRs. Some PIDs have AC output.
You also want to make sure that the output is not a relay contact, as that won't drive an SSR. Another must have for boil intensity control is a manual mode that lets you set a specific power output level.

Brew on :mug:

Cheers guys my bloody mate sold them already so iv just orrderd some inkbird pids instead they seem pretty good cant go wrong for $20 a pop

Cheers [emoji481]

Im surprised theres no mention of the mypin TD4 -snr they are solid performers and only about $35 shipped. Ive used 5 of them with zero issues myself.. The ezboil units are an upgrade but honestly for a regular pid with manual % duty cycle mode thats easy to access for the boil these are a great choice.

Back