Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doesn't make sense.

seems to me it should follow maritime/admiralty law; in non-territorial/international waters, you are subject to the laws governing the country of the flag your vessel is flying.

don't see how space could be any different

seems to me it should follow maritime/admiralty law...

don't see how space could be any different

I imagine that the difference is that "maritime/admiralty law" has had centuries to build up and establish institutions like the IMO, whereas if you don't have that international framework (that everyone takes for granted now that it exists), then it has to be explicitly spelt out at a national level.

Compare with 200 years ago, when it was not universally agreed that slavery was A Bad Thing, and there was no ban on transporting slaves on the high seas but some countries had abolished it at a national level and over time started actively stopping slave ships.

And to get on topic :
https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/16697718.farmer-impaled-tractor-spike-freak-accident/A farmer has revealed how a metal tractor spike punctured his lung - narrowly missing his heart....Dennis was able to pull the spike out of his chest and walk to his nearby farmhouse....The tractor's heavy metal arm, tipped with three two-feet long metal bale spikes, had suddenly collapsed onto him, piercing his chest, breaking ribs and puncturing one of his lungs...."There was blood coming out of the hole so I knew it was worse than a sticking plaster job."...Their footage shows Dr Weston treating Dennis, and quizzing him about the pain in his chest. Asked how bad it was on a scale of one to 10, the farmer replied: "About 4."...Within a week of coming out of hospital, Dennis was back doing light work around the farm.

They mekk'em tough up North...

The Land of the Free is just weird. Mind you, who knows what might have happened if that's what had been used "for law enforcement purposes" on George Floyd...

https://www.chron.com/politics/texas/article/In-Texas-even-possession-of-a-sex-toy-is-11161211.php
Texas ... labels the sex toy as an "obscene device" and declares it a crime if someone "possesses six or more obscene devices"...It does make exceptions for people who have the multiples of the device for medical and law enforcement purposes...Which means you can legally own more guns than sex toys in the Lone Star State.

The Land of the Free is just weird. Mind you, who knows what might have happened if that's what had been used "for law enforcement purposes" on George Floyd...

https://www.chron.com/politics/texas/article/In-Texas-even-possession-of-a-sex-toy-is-11161211.php
Texas ... labels the sex toy as an "obscene device" and declares it a crime if someone "possesses six or more obscene devices"...It does make exceptions for people who have the multiples of the device for medical and law enforcement purposes...Which means you can legally own more guns than sex toys in the Lone Star State.
Yeah. I bet there would be less cases of resisting arrest if there was a threat of a dildo being used on you !

Last edited:
Talking of which, a man working at the British Bung Company went to court this week :
https://news.sky.com/story/calling-...harassment-employment-tribunal-rules-12611690
The three employment judges:
th-1269509452.jpg

She was "performing", not the same as acting. Maybe doing it for Florida Man. The solar radiation beats hot on the Sunshine State, indeed.

To be fair they usually do weed control as well as mowing, and the weeds have certainly been controlled.

I meant them checking the chemicals they planned to go around spraying, before rolling out the tanker for the day. But yeah, those places tend to do multiple services.

Using those chemicals requires licensing, and the owner is probably the licensee, and responsible for the actions of the workers. Owner will probably be in bankruptcy court just as fast as he can run to the courthouse.

Farmers and commercial applicators who use pesticides in mass quantities commonly purchase these products in containers known as “shuttles”. A shuttle is a plastic tank, in the shape of a cube, measuring approx. 4’x4’x4’, enclosed in a steel cage. These containers hold, typically, 265 gallons of a product. They’re called shuttles because they can be reused, “shuttling” back and forth between the dealer/distributor and the end users. The containers can be returned when empty, washed out, and refilled. If they’re refilled with a different product the labels are changed to reflect the chemical which is contained in the shuttle. Sometimes, the labels don’t get changed. And, sometimes, an unscrupulous customer will buy several shuttles and then return one with the explanation that they mistakenly ordered too much product. What they really did was to use the product and then refill one of the shuttles with a much cheaper product which has the same appearance as the labeled product. That way they get a refund for the price of the labeled product and are only out the cost of the unlabeled, much cheaper, product. Since some pesticides can be very expensive and some, which look identical, are much cheaper, this can be quite advantageous to those unscrupulous enough to engage in the practice. I’m aware of one case which happened in our county where the substitution resulted in the loss of several thousand acres of wheat on several farms which were sprayed by the same aerial applicator who received one of the mislabeled shuttles from the chemical dealer. The lawyering contest continues…

Judging from the photos in the linked article I would guess that the brown lawns were sprayed with glyphosate. There aren’t too many herbicides which would kill every blade of grass in a healthy lawn besides glyphosate.

You had one job. ONE JOB!

"To be fair", the dude that did this probably could not read, english or mexican, or maybe even understand the instructions he was given.. but yeah, he probably nodded and indicated that he knew what he was doing.

Fake it 'till you make it may not always work. Of course the boss is always ultimately responsible for what there crew does.

"To be fair", the dude that did this probably could not read, english or mexican, or maybe even understand the instructions he was given.. but yeah, he probably nodded and indicated that he knew what he was doing.

Fake it 'till you make it may not always work. Of course the boss is always ultimately responsible for what there crew does.

Most likely scenario.

And probably poorly-trained on top of all that. "Just pour the bags of green pellets into the big hopper, and the blue pellets into the smaller one. Got it? Now get to work."

Judging from the photos in the linked article I would guess that the brown lawns were sprayed with glyphosate. There aren’t too many herbicides which would kill every blade of grass in a healthy lawn besides glyphosate.

There are other lawn chemicals that could do this in overdose, but yeah glyphosate would do it.

As to availability of that stuff, I can buy 5 gallon jugs of 40% from nursery supplier without giving certification. One of those jugs last me a few years, mainly only use on poison ivy these days.

CSB time:

Several years ago I was working in my front yard. It was late spring. A Trugreen-Chemlawn truck pulled up in front of the neighbor's home across the street. The guy reeled the sprayer hose out of the truck and began spraying this bright yellow liquid all over the lawn. The winds were very gusty that day and probably half of the chemical was blowing away in the wind. Luckily for me it didn't blow in my direction. After spraying most of the front lawn the guy seemed to get frustrated and gave up and left, without finishing the rest of the yard. The neighbor was not home at the time and I was hoping for his sake that crap was fertilizer and not herbicide.

It was herbicide.

A few days later both of the neighbor's front yard trees were dead. Not big trees--they were young 3" caliper trees. Still, a loss of a few grand. I mentioned the incident to the neighbor, who called the lawn service. A few weeks later, two new trees were delivered and planted.

/CSB

Back