Best NEIPA hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorites so far are Azacca/Bravo/Citra; and Azacca/Citra/Galaxy.

Azacca/Bravo/Citra was uber tropical heavy on the pineapple, zero dankness (a good thing to me).

Azacca/Citra/Galaxy was very nice, but the Galaxy brought some dankness, which I don't really care for.

Im looking to expand my NEIPA recipe, I generally use mosaic and galaxy + whatever citra, etc. I'm out of galaxy, so i brewed a 100% mosaic NEIPA and its bit underwhelming. I have chinook, ctz, simcoe, comet, medusa and mosaic on hand. Any ideas on ratios/% or combos on these? I was thinking ctz/simcoe/mosaic flame out then at 160 degrees another dose. Dry hop with mosaic and simcoe

edit: I have also not used medusa before so I do not know that flavor well

Im looking to expand my NEIPA recipe, I generally use mosaic and galaxy + whatever citra, etc. I'm out of galaxy, so i brewed a 100% mosaic NEIPA and its bit underwhelming. I have chinook, ctz, simcoe, comet, medusa and mosaic on hand. Any ideas on ratios/% or combos on these? I was thinking ctz/simcoe/mosaic flame out then at 160 degrees another dose. Dry hop with mosaic and simcoe

edit: I have also not used medusa before so I do not know that flavor well

I am not a fan of mosaic on the hotside because I get the savory/onion from it. Also I don't like using more that 1/3 of my dryhop with mosaic because it is SOOO potent (I think the most potent of all hops)

Based on your available hops I would do this
Simcoe 66% / chinook 33% in the flameout/whirlpool - this will give you lots of geraniol & linalool to set up the biotransformation during fermentation

Simcoe / CTZ / Mosaic - equal parts in the dryhop. The Simcoe & Mosaic will bring lots of 4MMP fruitiness to the party and the CTZ will provide some herbal/dank for balance.

Also if you are Looking for another hop - add Strata to your mix. It is right there with Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy in terms of potency and you get the fruit/herbal balance all in one. Similar to Mosaic I think it is best used only in dryhop and not whirlpool.

Hi guys, I've surprisingly seen Nugget being used in several recipes recently.
If it really works that would a great addition to reduce the costs somewhat. Anyone tired them in a NEIPA?
Also I only have access to German Nugget, anyone know if they would work too?

Nugget is no Citra or Galaxy, it hasn't got the complexity you want for a starring role, it's a one-trick pony. But it does have a lot of linalool. So if you want a cheap source of linalool (floral, with the potential to biotransform into citrus) then a bit of Nugget in whirlpool or early dry hop may give you what you want.

My last 3 batches have been iterations of NEIPAs. I had really good success with Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado on my first one. I just placed an order for supplies for my next few batches and I'm going to try an all New Zealand NEIPA soon. Motueka, Wai-iti and Wakatu in 2:2:1 ratio.

Thanks, yes I wasn't thinking it would be the star of the show. I have seen a recipe given for a popular NEIPA by the brewer which was mainly Nugget and (I think) Nelson. I need to check later as I'm in work now. Another off the beaten NEIPA track hop I was thinking about was Taurus. For some strange reason they give Citra as a substitute for it in some charts.
Here for example:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/hop-substitutions/

Probably a mistake but they are almost giving that hop away in the European online shops. Would be good if it could be used for 1/3 of the hops bill for an NEIPA.

Taurus is another one with huge amounts of linalool - it came up in a recent discussion of terpenol-rich hops. Again, it's one of those hops that has been bred to have lots of oils for bittering and so has lots of terpenols by accident, but is probably a bit one-dimensional as a late addition.

My favorites so far are Azacca/Bravo/Citra; and Azacca/Citra/Galaxy.

Azacca/Bravo/Citra was uber tropical heavy on the pineapple, zero dankness (a good thing to me).

Azacca/Citra/Galaxy was very nice, but the Galaxy brought some dankness, which I don't really care for.

What combination are you using the azacca/bravo/citra hops?
Is any particular one used more for dry hopping or whirlpooling?

Taurus is another one with huge amounts of linalool - it came up in a recent discussion of terpenol-rich hops. Again, it's one of those hops that has been bred to have lots of oils for bittering and so has lots of terpenols by accident, but is probably a bit one-dimensional as a late addition.

Thanks again, some great discussion and information in that thread (mainly from yourself ;)).
When I find time I'll go through it all in more detail.

Thanks, yes I wasn't thinking it would be the star of the show. I have seen a recipe given for a popular NEIPA by the brewer which was mainly Nugget and (I think) Nelson. I need to check later as I'm in work now. Another off the beaten NEIPA track hop I was thinking about was Taurus. For some strange reason they give Citra as a substitute for it in some charts.
Here for example:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/hop-substitutions/

Probably a mistake but they are almost giving that hop away in the European online shops. Would be good if it could be used for 1/3 of the hops bill for an NEIPA.

I found that hop bill for a professional NEIPA using a significant amount of Nugget, less than I first thought though.
Only whirlpool and dry hop:

1 oz (28 g) Mosaic pellets [12.5% AA] at whirlpool
0.75 oz (21 g) Simcoe pellets [13% AA] at whirlpool
0.33 oz (9 g) Nugget pellets [13% AA] at whirlpool
1.5 oz (42 g) Mosaic pellets [12.5% AA] at dry hop 1
1.25 oz (35 g) Simcoe pellets [13% AA] at dry hop 1
1.25 oz (35 g) Nugget pellets [13% AA] at dry hop 1
1.5 oz (42 g) Mosaic pellets [12.5% AA] at dry hop 2
1.25 oz (35 g) Simcoe pellets [13% AA] at dry hop 2

What combination are you using the azacca/bravo/citra hops?
Is any particular one used more for dry hopping or whirlpooling?
I lean toward Azacca for flameout and/or whirlpool, sometimes adding in another like Bravo, but I go light on those anyway to keep bitterness down. You can really get a LOT of bitterness in whirlpool if not careful, which is why I've gone away from whirlpooling and just pitch some in at flameout, allowing it to stay through chilling and settling without a specific "whirlpool" rest at a set temp.
So Usually 2 ounces at flameout, then about 3 oz (usually one of each variety) at pitch, and again at high kreusen, and sometimes again in the keg.

So in a nut shell, I lean more heavily on Azacca early and balance my varieties (rarely more than 3) in all later additions.

My last 3 batches have been iterations of NEIPAs. I had really good success with Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado on my first one. I just placed an order for supplies for my next few batches and I'm going to try an all New Zealand NEIPA soon. Motueka, Wai-iti and Wakatu in 2:2:1 ratio.
I did soemthing similar before - motueka, waimea, rakau, kohatu. It was super limey - made me think it was a corona flavored neipa. I enjoyed it as did everyone that drank it. Careful with the waimea it is potent bittering hop.

I did soemthing similar before - motueka, waimea, rakau, kohatu. It was super limey - made me think it was a corona flavored neipa. I enjoyed it as did everyone that drank it. Careful with the waimea it is potent bittering hop.

I'm not using Waimea this go round but I noticed that NZ hop after I had already ordered and may use it in my next NZ ipa, if I do another one. I saw it had a really high AA%

How did the NZ neipa turn out?

How did the NZ neipa turn out?

It's only been in the keg 6 days so could use a little more carbing but turned out really nice. All tropical fruit but very mellow. If I was to do it again I might throw in a citrusy American hop like citra or centennial and see how that played with them.

My go-to NE IPA uses Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra for the hop bill. I was ordering Galaxy from Yakima Valley recently, and all they had at the time was a buddy pack of Galaxy and Ella...aka Stella previously. I've never used Ella, but wondered if Galaxy/Stella/Citra may make a decent hop combination. I ordered the buddy pack have the hops on hand, and could plug in the AA% in BeerSmith to keep within my normal IBU range. Any thoughts on Ella pellet hops?

Just did one with Citra and Cashmere that came out great. Also another fav of mine is Citra+Amarillo+Mandarina Bavaria

I have been reading this post for about an hour but cant decide on my ''bittering'' hop that I will use. I brew 45L batches. My boil is about 57L volume.

I want to use these 4 hops Citra/Amarillo/Mosaic/Eldorado.

The NEIPA I brewed last year was veryyyy goood and was using 1 oz of Galaxy @ 60min but I cant find any GALAXY... SO which one of these 4 hops above could be used in my boil and at flameout or any other ideas...

I changed the bittering hop from 60min to 30min to get a little less bite to it and also replaced 2oz of Galaxy by 3oz of El Dorado at whirpool 85C 20 min and added 3oz of Eldorado in my dry hop from last year recipe.

Here is my planned recipe, the malts / yeast is the same I used than last year. I need to figure out the ???? in my listing....

pale ale malt 17lbs
Munich malt 4lbs
1lbs Corn Sugar
oats flaked 3lbs
wheat flaked 3 lbs
London Ale III 1318

1oz ???? 30min

2oz ???? @ Flameout

3oz Amarillo 20 min @ 85C
3oz Citra 20 min @ 85C
3oz El Dorado 20 min @ 85C
1oz Mosaic 20 min @ 85C

Dryhop once fermentation almost done
6oz Citra dry hop 4 days
3oz Amarillo dry hop 4 days
3oz El Dorado dry hop 4 days
3oz Mosaic dry hop 4 days

Thanks for your help ! I should brew this beer next week.

I have been reading this post for about an hour but cant decide on my ''bittering'' hop that I will use. I brew 45L batches. My boil is about 57L volume.

I want to use these 4 hops Citra/Amarillo/Mosaic/Eldorado.

The NEIPA I brewed last year was veryyyy goood and was using 1 oz of Galaxy @ 60min but I cant find any GALAXY... SO which one of these 4 hops above could be used in my boil and at flameout or any other ideas...

I changed the bittering hop from 60min to 30min to get a little less bite to it and also replaced 2oz of Galaxy by 3oz of El Dorado at whirpool 85C 20 min and added 3oz of Eldorado in my dry hop from last year recipe.

Here is my planned recipe, the malts / yeast is the same I used than last year. I need to figure out the ???? in my listing....

pale ale malt 17lbs
Munich malt 4lbs
1lbs Corn Sugar
oats flaked 3lbs
wheat flaked 3 lbs
London Ale III 1318

1oz ???? 30min

2oz ???? @ Flameout

3oz Amarillo 20 min @ 85C
3oz Citra 20 min @ 85C
3oz El Dorado 20 min @ 85C
1oz Mosaic 20 min @ 85C

Dryhop once fermentation almost done
6oz Citra dry hop 4 days
3oz Amarillo dry hop 4 days
3oz El Dorado dry hop 4 days
3oz Mosaic dry hop 4 days

Thanks for your help ! I should brew this beer next week.

You honestly dont need much for bitterness during the actual boil. A lot of NEIPA recipes dont even use any hops during the boil (i've done a bunch with strictly whirlpool, nothing before, and they came out great). As someome mentioned above, you can extract a lot of bitterness in the whirlpool so you have to be careful. Warrior is a great clean hop for bittering at 60 if you use a small amoutn of it. I'm assuming above is a 10 gallon recipe, so i would maybe just stick to 1-1.5oz of something like Warrior at 60, and shift the rest of your hops to whirlpool of 170ish degrees F. Still seems like a lot of hops for both the whirlpool and dry hop too, but it also depends on how long you leave those hops in the fermenter. If you're able to drop them out or remove them after 3ish days you're fine. But if you're dryhopping with that much early in fermentation, and then leaving them in the fermenter for a week, you run the risk of extracting harshness

You honestly dont need much for bitterness during the actual boil. A lot of NEIPA recipes dont even use any hops during the boil (i've done a bunch with strictly whirlpool, nothing before, and they came out great). As someome mentioned above, you can extract a lot of bitterness in the whirlpool so you have to be careful. Warrior is a great clean hop for bittering at 60 if you use a small amoutn of it. I'm assuming above is a 10 gallon recipe, so i would maybe just stick to 1-1.5oz of something like Warrior at 60, and shift the rest of your hops to whirlpool of 170ish degrees F. Still seems like a lot of hops for both the whirlpool and dry hop too, but it also depends on how long you leave those hops in the fermenter. If you're able to drop them out or remove them after 3ish days you're fine. But if you're dryhopping with that much early in fermentation, and then leaving them in the fermenter for a week, you run the risk of extracting harshness

Thanks for your help ! I prefer to get just a little bittering in the boil to balance everything out so yes max 1oz for my 10 gallons batch. I have no idea why but last year it came out super nice so I just want to repeat it but with something else than Galaxy. Yes its a 10 gallons batch. I added 3oz more than last year for both whirpool and dry hop ( the El Dorado hops ) so I think it will came out with a even more juicy taste than last year... well I will find out !

Keep your opinion coming !

I’ve been using liquid hop extract lately and have been very pleased with the results. It gives a very clean soft hop bitterness without being harsh. I just did a 10 gallon batch. Not really a NEIPA. I like a bit more bitterness upfront. I used the whole 10ml syringe at 60 minutes. Maybe use half.

I had a beer by Wilmington Brewing Company called Lemur Party vol 2 that was damn good. They put their grain bill and hop selection on the cans. This is what it said:

Grain: pale, wheat, oats, carapils, flaked barley, lactose
Hops: warrior, mosaic, amarillo.
dry hop 1: mosaic, cashmere.
Dry hop 2: centennial, citra

Bittering hops ? I thought NEIPA's had no bitterness.

You definitely need some IBUs even in a NEIPA, but you can typically get them from the huge whirlpool and dry hop so I've mostly moved away from 60 minute additions in my NEIPAs. The ones I did with it were fine though provided I kept it low and used something clean like magnum and was careful about my whirlpool IBUs(e.g. adding most or all below isomerization temp)

You definitely need some IBUs even in a NEIPA, but you can typically get them from the huge whirlpool and dry hop so I've mostly moved away from 60 minute additions in my NEIPAs. The ones I did with it were fine though provided I kept it low and used something clean like magnum and was careful about my whirlpool IBUs(e.g. adding most or all below isomerization temp)
I hear some people not using standard 60 min bittering charges, but I've always look for around 20 IBU from a 60 min addition. I feel it adds layers to the beer that I miss when skipping the addition. I feel there's less complexity with only flameout/whirlpool additions.

Bitterness is pretty much a crap shoot with this “style”. There’s really no tool you can use to predict it especially with heavy dry hopping loads which will actually reduce finished IBUs. I’ve also seen studies where a brewery didn’t add any hops until after 175 and the finished IBUs (tested) were north of 45.

IMHO you need hops added to the boil to add depth, complexity, and drinkability. If your water chemistry is correct and your boil pH in spec you won’t get as much perceived bitterness in the finished beer as you think.

For me the two reference breweries for more modern IPAs add plenty of hops (or hop extract) to the kettle. Tree House and Hill Farmstead.

I also find the no bitterness, super high FG, full of protein beers to be incredibly hard to drink and cranky gross. But I guess some people like them.

I've been having issues with potential light oxidation scrubbing away some hop aroma from a couple of my recent NEIPAs. Currently working through that, but since i started integrating around .25oz of Warrior at 60mins, and then dropping my whirlpool hops to 150 degree, the ones that i havent had oxidation problems with have come out amazing. Much better balance than no bittering hops and a higher whirlpool temp

Bringing this thread back to life. Anyone have any experience with whirl pooling with simcoe? I usually whirlpool with about 6 oz, but i have never used this much simcoe. My last batch i did 6oz citra in whirpool and 6oz citra dry hops which was very good. Im looking to try some fun hops that are in one of my favorite beers by a local brewery.

.65oz Warrior 60min
oz? Simcoe Whirlpool

3oz Sabro Dry hop
3oz Motueka Dry Hop

Simcoe is a staple in my whirlpool but I always use a blend: equal parts Simcoe, Bravo & Citra. All of those mesh well together and make a nice citrus base with a hint of pine for balance. Using all Simcoe you would probably be equal citrus & earthy pine. The yeast will drop most of the pine stuff so I would not be too concerned about that...BUT amount of sabro You may want to reconsider. Sabro is VERY potent stuff and if used a lot in the dryhop the "woody" will be overpowering. I used it once with equal parts galaxy & citra (3oz each) and the beer tasted like cedar. As I suggest you consider modifying the dryhop to 4.5oz Motueka & 1.5oz Sabro.

Also keep in mind that yeast selection, pitch rate, and ferm temps play a HUGE role in NEIPAD so it is difficult to match commercial beers exactly

Bringing this thread back to life. Anyone have any experience with whirl pooling with simcoe? I usually whirlpool with about 6 oz, but i have never used this much simcoe. My last batch i did 6oz citra in whirpool and 6oz citra dry hops which was very good. Im looking to try some fun hops that are in one of my favorite beers by a local brewery.

.65oz Warrior 60min
oz? Simcoe Whirlpool

3oz Sabro Dry hop
3oz Motueka Dry Hop
Personally I love Simcoe, I get "dank"/onion/catty from it. It can be found in tons of popular beers, some of which you would never think would include it. I prefer using it with hops such as citra, el dorado or amarillo to ballance it out. Typically I go slightly higher on my dryhop additions over the whirlpool.
Why not start with equal parts Simcoe, Sabro and Motueka in whirlpool and dryhop as a control batch and tweak your dosages from there?

I have a orange cream NEIPA in my fermenter as we speak. I used Magnum for bittering and Amarillo, Galaxy and Mosaic in late addition and whirlpool. Thinking of dry hopping with the same , maybe even some El Dorado. Trying to get good orange notes.

I have a orange cream NEIPA in my fermenter as we speak. I used Magnum for bittering and Amarillo, Galaxy and Mosaic in late addition and whirlpool. Thinking of dry hopping with the same , maybe even some El Dorado. Trying to get good orange notes.
I would go Amarillo dominant if you're looking for candy orange notes. That's always seems to be the overriding flavor and smell I get from it.

You have a nice fruity profile. With your orange/Vanilla addition you’ll get a nice overall profile and complexity

The Sabro/Motueka combo was a serious bummer for me. Both lots of each hop I had were decent but together they were not that awesome. Incredibly earthy... which I really can’t explain. It was rather odd

I was planing on just dry hopping with Motueka/Sabro. What about whirlpooling with just simcoe? Anyone have luck with using by itself in the whirlpool? If so how much would be ideal in a 5 gal batch?

Back