Best NEIPA hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brewed the same NEIPA recipe (braufessor's) many times with different hops now and I try to keep an on going ranking of my favorites. So many of these are ties but the list gives a rough idea of preference.

1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Mosaic
3) Simcoe/Columbus/Azacca/Motueka
4) Galaxy/Azacca
5) Citra
6) Citra/Equinox
7) Galaxy
8) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
9) Azacca
10) Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado
11) Nelson

I just started using Vic. My combination was citra\vic secret\denali. Awesome..
What kind of flavor/nose did you get with that combo? I've always been a sucker for mosaic/citra. But I recently tried vic secret in an all AU/NZ hopped NEIPA and loved the big pineapple nose from the vic secret. Haven't used denali before but have been considering it. I think it would pair really well with mosaic/citra. Just curious as to the nose/flavor.

What kind of flavor/nose did you get with that combo? I've always been a sucker for mosaic/citra. But I recently tried vic secret in an all AU/NZ hopped NEIPA and loved the big pineapple nose from the vic secret. Haven't used denali before but have been considering it. I think it would pair really well with mosaic/citra. Just curious as to the nose/flavor.

Denali is huge tropical flavor hop, mainly pineapple. The aroma is very noticeable (tropical) and has not diminished even after 3 weeks tapped. One of my favorites. With Vic it is over the top tropical with some pine. Highly recommended.

Has anyone used Belma in an IPA or NEIPA? I have acquired almost 2lbs of it for free and based on the description it seems like it would work well. I also have Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo and Motueka that I could blend Belma with but thought I would throw it out there to see what others think of Belma. Thanks everyone and take care!

I'm getting ready to brew one with all Australian hops:

1:2:2
Enigma (for "bittering")
Vic Secret
Galaxy

I'm really pumped.

I did something similar recently with some experimental stonefruit thrown in. Beer was awesome - probably my best IPA to date. Definitely was getting lots of pineapple at first. Interesting enough keg is almost kicked and it has definitely faded.

6 gallon batch

Malt
6 lb American - Pale 2-Row
6 lb German - Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner
2.5 lb American - Red Wheat
1.5 lb Flaked Oats
0.25 lb Canadian - Honey Malt

Hops

0.75 oz Southern Cross Pellet 13.4 Boil 60 min
2 oz Vic Secret Pellet 21 Whirlpool
2 oz Exp Stonefruit Pellet 13.3 Whirlpool
3 oz Ella Pellet 16.9 Dry Hop
2 oz Vic Secret Pellet 21 Dry Hop
2 oz Exp Stonefruit Pellet 13.3 Dry Hop

Wyeast 1318

galaxy/mosaic/equinox
denali/mosaic/galaxy
eldorado/ahtanum/mosaic
All citra including citra hash and citra cryo hops. Awesome.

I’m doing a Denali/Galaxy/ Mosaic neipa for the first time. Never used Denali or Galaxy- how was your beer with this blend? 1:1:1 ratio?

Thanks, Tim

I have a Citra/Mosaic/Amarillo/Belma going right now in a NE IPA. I added 1oz of each, except the Belma was 2oz. Did this for the FO/WP, 1st DH and 2nd DH sometime next week. I think it will turn out nicely, but we shall see.

I've brewed the same NEIPA recipe (braufessor's) many times with different hops now and I try to keep an on going ranking of my favorites. So many of these are ties but the list gives a rough idea of preference.

1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Mosaic
3) Simcoe/Columbus/Azacca/Motueka
4) Galaxy/Azacca
5) Citra
6) Citra/Equinox
7) Galaxy
8) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
9) Azacca
10) Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado
11) Nelson

Of those you listed, I only have #2) Mosaic on hand. Can you tell me the hop schedule & amounts you used? For 6gal batch, I was thinking I'd use little .75oz Warrior @60 then straight Mosaic throughout & dry hopping. Or could mix in a little Azacca with the Mosaic for Dry Hopping?

Thanks!
Robert

Of those you listed, I only have #2) Mosaic on hand. Can you tell me the hop schedule & amounts you used? For 6gal batch, I was thinking I'd use little .75oz Warrior @60 then straight Mosaic throughout & dry hopping. Or could mix in a little Azacca with the Mosaic for Dry Hopping?

Thanks!
Robert

this thread is a goldmine of information and is the recipe I use: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/

For my all mosaic one I used 1 oz columbus to bitter at 60 min, then 3 oz of mosaic each at 0 min, whirlpool, dry hop on day 3, and dry hop on day 12 (total of 12 oz mosaic).

I haven't done it yet but I think any combination of mosaic and azacca between 0 min and dry hop would be great. I would probably go heavier on the mosaic. Also, since I posted that list I did a 1:1 mosaic ekuanot version and that ended up being one of my favorites yet.

60min boil: bitter charge of your choice
180* whirlpool 15min: 1oz ea - Citra, Strata, Denali
140* whirlpool 15min: 1oz ea - Strata, Denali & 2oz Citra
Dryhop #1 @ 72hrs: 1oz ea - Strata, Denali & 2oz Citra
Dryhop #2 @ Day 7: 1oz ea - Strata, Denali, Citra

Imperial Yeast - Barbarian (conan). Dont use 1318 on this mix. The esters from 1318 do not compliment it well.

My other "tip" - yeast selection does different things to different hop combos. Eg- Galaxy / Mosaic is better with 1318 than Conan.

I have a 1/2lb each of Simcoe, Azacca, El Dorado, Mandarina Bavaria, and Enigma. Any of these work good in combination? Was thinking maybe Simcoe/Azacca/El Dorado.

60min boil: bitter charge of your choice
180* whirlpool 15min: 1oz ea - Citra, Strata, Denali
140* whirlpool 15min: 1oz ea - Strata, Denali & 2oz Citra
Dryhop #1 @ 72hrs: 1oz ea - Strata, Denali & 2oz Citra
Dryhop #2 @ Day 7: 1oz ea - Strata, Denali, Citra

Imperial Yeast - Barbarian (conan). Dont use 1318 on this mix. The esters from 1318 do not compliment it well.

My other "tip" - yeast selection does different things to different hop combos. Eg- Galaxy / Mosaic is better with 1318 than Conan.

Just saw this and it had me interested.

Any thoughts on general rule on when to use 1318 vs Conan depending on the hops?

Tried Columbus / Citra, a pure legit combo, but I thought Columbus' spicy, grassy character bit overpowers. I used 4 : 1 ratio of those hops for whirlpool and dh, but I'm trying to see what will happen if I cut back some of Columbus at dry hopping.

Also, looking for some tropical juice bomb combo, not a citrus, danky one. Any recommendation? And the ratio?

Honestly with all the NEIPA's I have brewed in the last year or so. I am stuck on single hop NEIPA's

Grab your favorite hop and LAYER like crazy! But NOTHING in the kettle till flame out. :)

Cheers
Jay

Honestly with all the NEIPA's I have brewed in the last year or so. I am stuck on single hop NEIPA's

Grab your favorite hop and LAYER like crazy! But NOTHING in the kettle till flame out. :)

Cheers
Jay
First off, BIG fan of your stuff. About to order some more...

What sort of whirlpool/hopstand temps are you doing? I too brew a lot of NEIPAs (at least one a month). And I also do zero hops until flameout or after (save for a small FWH bittering). Historically, I've always done a flameout addition and let that sit for 20-30 mins, then a whirlpool/hopstand at 175* for 20-30 minutes. But on my most recent one, I did the first at 185*, and the second at 120*. I just kegged and carbed it so it's still pretty green. But it might be my best one yet. I had also been doing about a 2:1 chloride:sulfate. But I bumped this one to 3:1.

I want to brew a very basic 80% Pale ale malt and 20% Oat malt pale ale with London III.
Like hop hands with different hops.
I want to do a small 60 min addition of Nugget and then 3 other hops at whirlpool and dry hop.
Two of them will be Vic Secret and El Dorado as they are getting old in my freezer.

what other hop would go with these?

Preferably one from:
Simcoe, Cascade, Summit, Columbus, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria, Centennial, Chinook, Soarchi Ace, Ella, Calypso, Belma, Hull Melon, Topaz

However one of the following would be an option too if someone has experienced that they make a killer combo with Vic and Dorado (would like to use them for something else but could be persuaded to use one for this):

Citra, Galaxy, Nelson, Mosaic

Last edited:
First off, BIG fan of your stuff. About to order some more...

What sort of whirlpool/hopstand temps are you doing? I too brew a lot of NEIPAs (at least one a month). And I also do zero hops until flameout or after (save for a small FWH bittering). Historically, I've always done a flameout addition and let that sit for 20-30 mins, then a whirlpool/hopstand at 175* for 20-30 minutes. But on my most recent one, I did the first at 185*, and the second at 120*. I just kegged and carbed it so it's still pretty green. But it might be my best one yet. I had also been doing about a 2:1 chloride:sulfate. But I bumped this one to 3:1.

I will add very little hops (2-3 oz per 12 gallon batch) at flame out. Normally give them 2-3 min to get into the full suspension then drop my temp to 170-175 add another bulk amount of hops and circulate for about 10 min drop another 10 deg another bulk amount of hops circulate and I will do this often on my NEIPAs 3 sometimes 4 drops and additions every time increasing the amount of hops I add. Chill to pitching as I transfer to conical and pitch yeast. NORMALLY after 3-5 days (about 80% attenuation) I am starting my dry hop additions. Add hops (CRYO and a touch of pellet), wait 2-3 days, add more hops, wait 2-3 days, dump trub, add more hops wait 2-3 days crash cool to 35* adding CO2 from my C02 harvester kit, dump trub 2-3 times then pressure transfer to my kegs. I don't always do 3 dry hop additions it just depends on how I am going to serve the beer and when. They don't take a long time to brew so its nice you can wait till 10 days before serving to brew them. The last one I did (I have it on tap right now) I am serving through my canning jar hop randal kit with fresh hops in it and its AMAZING! It is a single hop NEIPA and probably the best one I have done. There is a long troubled story about THIS beer but I wont get into that..LOL

Cheers
Jay

I will add very little hops (2-3 oz per 12 gallon batch) at flame out. Normally give them 2-3 min to get into the full suspension then drop my temp to 170-175 add another bulk amount of hops and circulate for about 10 min drop another 10 deg another bulk amount of hops circulate and I will do this often on my NEIPAs 3 sometimes 4 drops and additions every time increasing the amount of hops I add. Chill to pitching as I transfer to conical and pitch yeast. NORMALLY after 3-5 days (about 80% attenuation) I am starting my dry hop additions. Add hops (CRYO and a touch of pellet), wait 2-3 days, add more hops, wait 2-3 days, dump trub, add more hops wait 2-3 days crash cool to 35* adding CO2 from my C02 harvester kit, dump trub 2-3 times then pressure transfer to my kegs. I don't always do 3 dry hop additions it just depends on how I am going to serve the beer and when. They don't take a long time to brew so its nice you can wait till 10 days before serving to brew them. The last one I did (I have it on tap right now) I am serving through my canning jar hop randal kit with fresh hops in it and its AMAZING! It is a single hop NEIPA and probably the best one I have done. There is a long troubled story about THIS beer but I wont get into that..LOL

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird, I am guessing this is your version of a certain single hop NEIPA from a brewery in Manton? ;) FYI, I am in the midst making the same beer with Mosaic.

Which yeast are you using?

Prost!

Tim

Jaybird, I am guessing this is your version of a certain single hop NEIPA from a brewery in Manton? ;) FYI, I am in the midst making the same beer with Mosaic.

Which yeast are you using?

Prost!

Tim
Not really. This is a general outline on how I approach most all my NEIPAs regardless of hop choices. Making little changes to "process" each time I brew them.

The one you are referring too is very specific on hop type, temps, time and yeast and IS the one I have on tap at the house right now! AMAZING recipe design IMHO. Brilliant grain choice (that I couldn't match, unfortunately) I think Cedar Crest Brewery and that team NAILED the design for sure! THAT beer I will strive to recreate over and over for sure!

Normally I am using the London III and have had KILLER luck with it. My last go around I used the Giga Vermont (that is the beer you are referring to) and it was a total cluster FK. BUT the beer turned out amazing all the same with the guidance of your brother. :)

When are you going to get your ass back down here so we can have some beer at MY house?

Cheers
Jay

I have no clue what I am doing but will be doing a El Dorado, Citra, Lemondrop NEIPA in the next week or so!

Cheers
Jay
I really like the idea of progressively lowering the wort temp and doing multiple hop stands. What's the lowest temp you go to, i.e., what temp is the last addition you make? Thanks dude.

I really like the idea of progressively lowering the wort temp and doing multiple hop stands. What's the lowest temp you go to, i.e., what temp is the last addition you make? Thanks dude.
160-150 is really normal for my designs starting the stands at 175-180 after my flame out addition. But my single hop Amarillo I took it down to 110*F adding hops along the way and stood there for almost 30 min. It wasn't by design (the "30" min) I was having an issue with a conical I needed to repair and it just happened. I am very lenient to be honest with my NEIPAs I am not TOO terribly critical first go around. I try and get REALLY close to my hop stand original recipe design but I don't fret if I miss a target temp on the stands when I am designing a new beer. If I am within 5-10 deg on a stand I'm happy. Quantity I am VERY VERY accurate and then I just take GREAT notes and use those when I taste the beer and go from there on round 2.
Now if I am brewing someone else beer I am SUPER critical and stay on target.

Cheers
Jay

Not really. This is a general outline on how I approach most all my NEIPAs regardless of hop choices. Making little changes to "process" each time I brew them.

The one you are referring too is very specific on hop type, temps, time and yeast and IS the one I have on tap at the house right now! AMAZING recipe design IMHO. Brilliant grain choice (that I couldn't match, unfortunately) I think Cedar Crest Brewery and that team NAILED the design for sure! THAT beer I will strive to recreate over and over for sure!

Normally I am using the London III and have had KILLER luck with it. My last go around I used the Giga Vermont (that is the beer you are referring to) and it was a total cluster FK. BUT the beer turned out amazing all the same with the guidance of your brother. :)

When are you going to get your ass back down here so we can have some beer at MY house?

Cheers
Jay
Good to hear Jay! I'll be getting down to NCal in July. I'll let you know. Beers at your place sounds like a great time! FYI, I am using the Imperial Juice Strain, which I think is London III.

Last edited:
Has anyone used Belma in an IPA or NEIPA? I have acquired almost 2lbs of it for free and based on the description it seems like it would work well. I also have Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo and Motueka that I could blend Belma with but thought I would throw it out there to see what others think of Belma. Thanks everyone and take care!
how did you end up enjoying the belma in this beer?

I want to brew a very basic 80% Pale ale malt and 20% Oat malt pale ale with London III.
I want to do a small 60 min addition of Nugget and then 3 other hops at whirlpool and dry hop.
Two of them will be Vic Secret and El Dorado as they are getting old in my freezer.

Preferably one from:
Simcoe, Cascade, Summit, Columbus, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria, Centennial, Chinook, Soarchi Ace, Ella, Calypso, Belma, Hull Melon, Topaz

However one of the following would be an option too if someone has experienced that they make a killer combo with Vic and Dorado (would like to use them for something else but could be persuaded to use one for this):

If i was in your shoes, i would put the calypso with the vic secret and el dorado. I would do it in a 1:2:1 ratio, and i would something simple like maybe: (5 gallon batch im assuming)

.30oz nugget for FWH
.5oz calypso and eldorado with 1oz vic secret at flameout (but also start a whirlpool and cooling immediatly till 170F is reached)
.5oz calypso and el dorado with 1 oz vic at 170F to steep for about 20 min

After 20 min, id chill, and pitch and on day 2 of fermentation (at high krausen) id add 1oz of vic AND eldorado, with only .5 calypso, then the same charge again about 5 days later, after another 5 days, id cold crash and keg..

Also i would use the 1318 for this to accentuate the hop profile.

Anyone done a Huell Melon (7%), Nelson Sauvin (12%), and Ekuanot (14%) combo? Thinking even amounts for flamout and whirlpool and then 1.5: .75: .75 ratio for dry hops....
At my brewery here in Michigan I use Huell Melon in one of our NE IPA's along with El Dorado and Mosaic. Huell Melon smells super pungent in the packaging but I don't feel like it translates to flavor/aroma as I'd like. Recipe below:

67.5% 2-Row
14.7% White Wheat
.2% Crystal 10
8.6% Flaked Oats

Magnum - 30IBU @ 60min
El Dorado @ Flameout (54.5% of whirlpool hops)
German Huell Melon @ Flameout (27.3%)
Mosaic @ Flameout (18.2%)

DH #1 is equal to whirlpool
DH #2 is slightly more heavy

Tasting notes and feedback thus far is that it tastes like a ripe melon, not as juicy. I may sub out either Huell Melon or Mosaic with Belma and see if it rounds out the flavor better.

Preferably one from:

well I'm going to brew this on the weekend and have decide for bittering with Nugget and the rest with 1:1:1 Vic, Citra and El Dorado.

80% Pale ale 20% Castle malted oats
Nugget at 60 min approx. 10 IBU
1.25oz each of Vic, Citra and El Dorado for a 20 min whirlpool
7 days dry hop 1.5oz each of Vic, Citra and El Dorado
London ale III yeast

will report back in about a month
:)

Cheers
Jay
I used to use this approach. I was told by a reputable brewery that this was how many of the big boys were making their juice bombs. BUT, after many batches, I decided to try some hops in the boil, and I have to say, at least for me and my beers, that it has added complexity. Although, I've never done the layered flameout additions. I used to just dump them all in at flameout. Might be interesting to try out.

I used to use this approach. I was told by a reputable brewery that this was how many of the big boys were making their juice bombs. BUT, after many batches, I decided to try some hops in the boil, and I have to say, at least for me and my beers, that it has added complexity. Although, I've never done the layered flameout additions. I used to just dump them all in at flameout. Might be interesting to try out.

Latest issue of BYO has a great article by Scott Janish on the science behing IPAs, etc. One of the things that he talks about is boil hops and one of the big takeaways I had was certain hops are better than others at different points. High AA hops that are low in alpha humulene and beta-caryophyllene are got for boil bittering : Waimea, Loral, Citra, Mosaic, Galazy, Bravo, Galena, Columbus.

Since Galena is pretty affordable I might grab some to try out for bittering.

Latest issue of BYO has a great article by Scott Janish on the science behing IPAs, etc. One of the things that he talks about is boil hops and one of the big takeaways I had was certain hops are better than others at different points. High AA hops that are low in alpha humulene and beta-caryophyllene are got for boil bittering : Waimea, Loral, Citra, Mosaic, Galazy, Bravo, Galena, Columbus.

Since Galena is pretty affordable I might grab some to try out for bittering.
I'll have to check it out. I've used Columbus, Bravo and Galena for bittering. I've used Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic in the boil, at flameout and for dry hopping. Had good luck with everything except Galaxy in the boil. It's really harsh. Basically overpowers everything. My conclusion with Galaxy, at least for me and my batches, is to not boil it and to use it sparingly.

I'm not fond of Citra in the boil. When I use it, it's strictly a DH addition. I love columbus or Simcoe as late boil addition, then layering with something like Mosaic or El Dorado in the WP and galaxy or citra as DH additions.

Last edited:
I'm not fond of Citra in the boil. When I use it, it's strictly a DH addition. I love columbus or Simcoe as late boil addition, then layering with something like Mosaic or El Dorado in the WP and galaxy or citra as DY additions.
I was always told not boil Citra, but I've had good luck lately. I'm talking small amounts at the 20 min mark at the earliest. In think it adds a bit complexity without being catty.

Back