best natural nutrients for mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffystump76

Reaction score
So I know raisins and orange peels can be used for yeast nutrient but read somewhere that they do not offer much nutrient, so I am wondering what other natural ingredient's could I use for yeast nutrient and how much would you add to 1 gallon? I seen some videos where they do not add anything but honey and water, so does the nutrient just make fermentation faster or maybe it helps it get a higher ABV?

So I know raisins and orange peels can be used for yeast nutrient but read somewhere that they do not offer much nutrient, so I am wondering what other natural ingredient's could I use for yeast nutrient and how much would you add to 1 gallon? I seen some videos where they do not add anything but honey and water, so does the nutrient just make fermentation faster or maybe it helps it get a higher ABV?
Bread yeast boiled in 1/4 cup of water. Add a couple teaspoons to a gallon when it cools. Nutrients help the yeast do their job, without them you can get a stalled ferment or nasty sulfur smells.

Bread yeast boiled in 1/4 cup of water. Add a couple teaspoons to a gallon when it cools. Nutrients help the yeast do their job, without them you can get a stalled ferment or nasty sulfur smells.
could I just make a jar of dead yeast water and store it in fridge for future use? would it contaminate my must? add 2 teaspoons once a day for 7 days corrcet?

Honey is somewhat expensive, Fermaid O and Go-Ferm aren't. Look up the TONSA method and use those items and you'll have really good mead.
So if for some reason you can't get those things, using dead yeast is better than nothing, I'd make one addition upfront for a low ABV mead and staggered additions for higher ABV mead.

No it's not. It would get moldy quickly and/or contaminated with bacteria. Just boil two tablespoons of yeast in a bit of water each time you want to make a mead.
ok understood, was asking because I read that you want to add nutrients once or twice a day for seven days straight for best results. So from what I am understanding I will have to boil water to make dead yeast nutrient everyday for seven days. correct?

ok understood, was asking because I read that you want to add nutrients once or twice a day for seven days straight for best results. So from what I am understanding I will have to boil water to make dead yeast nutrient everyday for seven days. correct?
No. Google tosna protocol or go to meadmaderight.com.

Fermaid O is kind of natural, so I would use this. Otherwise, the suggested boiled yeast would also help a lot.

^^ This ^^

Fermaid O™ is a blend of inactivated yeast fractions rich in organic nitrogen. Fermaid O™ does not contain added ammonia salts (DAP) or micronutrients.

i.e. processed dead yeast

^^ This ^^

i.e. processed dead yeast
Fermaid o is more then just dead yeast. The yeast hay been fed in a certain way, so that it stored the maximum amount of nutrients possible. So this is different, much more nutrients then just dead yeast, although, technically, it is just dead yeast.

Last edited:
Fermaid o is more then just dead yeast. The yeast hay been fed in a certain way, so that it stored the maximum amount of nutrients possible. So this is different, much more nutrients then just dead yeast, although, technically, it is just dead yeast.
Plus, it is presumably a yeast strain developed specifically for this purpose, not a bread yeast, or even a wine/beer yeast. (Yes, I am speculating here ...)

What is known - it works.

about how many grams or ounces of raisins and crystal malt do you add to a gallon, and how many dates and fig would be put in a gallon?

About 150 GM raisins per 5 liters, 8-10 dried dates and equal number of figs. I steep about 50 GM of crystal malt in 67c water for 30 minutes, filter and add to the bucket. If you don’t like adding solids to fermenter, you can make tea with everything and then filter and add to fermenter.

Can I use crushed malt barley? I have some hanging around for beer making. I guess I would bake them at a high temperature to sterilize them first.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/barley
One-half cup (100 grams) of uncooked, hulled barley contains the following nutrients (6):

• Calories: 354
  • Carbs: 73.5 grams
  • Fiber: 17.3 grams
  • Protein: 12.5 grams
  • Fat: 2.3 grams
  • Thiamine: 43% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
  • Riboflavin: 17% of the RDI
  • Niacin: 23% of the RDI
  • Vitamin B6: 16% of the RDI
  • Folate: 5% of the RDI
  • Iron: 20% of the RDI
  • Magnesium: 33% of the RDI
  • Phosphorus: 26% of the RDI
  • Potassium: 13% of the RDI
  • Zinc: 18% of the RDI
  • Copper: 25% of the RDI
  • Manganese: 97% of the RDI
  • Selenium: 54% of the RDI

What about using marmite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
Marmite (/ˈmɑːrmaɪt/ MAR-myte) is a British savoury food spread based on yeast extract, invented by the German scientist Justus von Liebig. It is made from by-products of beer brewing (lees) and is produced by the British company Unilever. Marmite is a vegan source of B vitamins, including supplemental vitamin B12. A traditional method of use is to spread it very thinly on buttered toast.

Back