Best Flip Top for the Money

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I'm sure. I'm trying to build my Grolsh flip-top bottles. I am trying my best to drink as many as possible by Monday, or so. So I can put asmuch of the new batch as possible in them. For the money, I'm I going the right way with Grolsh? I have bought a few Fisher's, because of thie size, being alittle bit bigger, and brown as opposed to green. Anything I'm missing? This posting is more than likely a waste of time. I am just new to the game and I'm feeling it out.

Well, around here I can only get Grolsch flip tops. I've never seen any other beers in them, and I wouldn't imagine it's much different for you down there, so I would guess it's you r best bet other than ordering empties from a homebrew store, but then you don't get to enjoy emptying them out.

When buying them full of beer, i find it gets pricey after a while when you're slowly building a collection of these bottles. However, if i had to choose between the Grolsch or the Fischer, i'd pick the Fischer.....brown bottles, bigger, and i prefer the taste over the grolsch. With that being said, at 5 bucks a pop, it could get pricey. I recently went around to local recycling depots and asked about buying some of the swingtops back, they charge $3 a dozen (25 cents each). That particular place had mainly the grolsch. Went to another place and they charged 35 cents each...so a bit more, but they had a larger quantity and alot of fischer, so i bought about 3-4 dozen fischers there for about 15 bucks if i remember. This is alot better pricing for me as apposed to going to the LHBS and purchasing a case of 12 ez swing tops for $30...:)

The problem I have with the Grolsch Flip tops...I dont' like green bottles for anything other than Apfelwein and Mead. I'm just not responsible enough to keep them in the dark, and I really don't like skunky beer. I do however LOVE to bottle a nice stout in "ez cap" Brown Flip Tops that are $18 a case from the LHBS!

Jmac00: The recylcling depot is a brilliant idea! If I can't convince the owner of my favorite bar to give/sell a bunch of empties to me, then I will definately hit up the recycling plants.

Jmac00: The recylcling depot is a brilliant idea! If I can't convince the owner of my favorite bar to give/sell a bunch of empties to me, then I will definately hit up the recycling plants.

The ones around here don't even bother sending them back i don't think, they just had them stored off to the side away from everything else. A bit dusty, but with lots of cleaning and soaking they're good as new....:mug:

I am looking for the conversion type flip tops
if any knows where to get um.

see the attached photo

000_0760.jpg

There are more euro breweries than just Grolsch who have the flip top bottles. Flensburger, Schwabenbraeu, etc. all sell their flip top bottles over here. If I can get that stuff here in Melbourne, most other parts of the country should have them, too. :)

I am looking for the conversion type flip tops
if any knows where to get um.

see the attached photo

I for one....have NEVER seen anything like this before....But I WANT SOME!

I'd use them with the Lindemans Lambic bottles and package some fancy brew in them!

WHERE to get these?

Google.com..Here I come!

I for one....have NEVER seen anything like this before....But I WANT SOME!

I'd use them with the Lindemans Lambic bottles and package some fancy brew in them!

WHERE to get these?

Google.com..Here I come!

He posted on the weekend asking and got no replys but me drooling over them...I tried googling, but couldn't figure out the keywords to use...I turned up nothing. Hopefully you'll crack the code...I want some as well.

Yep but stated that they don't work on beer bottles unfortunately.

I may try to find a local recycling place, the brown flip tops sound great! Also just bought some of the 8 oz coke bottles today to drink and then fill with some barleywine someday! Good little taster bottles (though brown would be better).

I just picked up two more dozen flip top bottles at my local recycling depot for $3....bought all he had, 4 brown fischers and the rest were grolsch. He's gonna keep saving them for me as i'm the only one that comes in to buy them back. What i do is basically take all my other recyclables, get my money for them, then turn around and buy the empty flip tops....so not really any money out of my pocket when you look at it that way, just trading the flip tops for all your empty cans and other bottles... :)

I never liked the Grosch due to not being able to put a label on them very well. Too much molding on the bottle.

Back