Best extract kits??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't brewed it yet but I recently picked up a brew craft USA rouge kit that has it all. Hop bags grain bags a ton of grain for steeping, lots of DME and very detailed instructions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I'm not a big fan of commercial pre boxed kits. There is no telling how long the ingredients have been pre packaged and sitting on a warehouse shelf. That said Moorbeer and Austin home brew supply get my vote.

On kits, the bulk of the cost is the LME. LME is our base malt and is very important on how it's packaged and how fresh it is also how fermentable it is.

That said I like to use a ultra light LME and use the steeping grains for the color and flavor.

Haven't done extract in awhile but when I did I found morebeer to give me the best for the price and result

Not a fan of kits here either...I was an avid brewer many years back when we lived up north, just now getting back into it. I gave my equipment and recipes to a friend who was just getting started back then, wish I had the recipes now (I have them locked forever in a fried comp harddrive :( ) There are more than enough recipes (extract + adjunct grains + hops + whatever) available online, it's almost silly to pay the price premium for a ready to go kit....but, that's just my opinion, and all... unfortunately, I can't answer the original question...heh

Midwest supplies gets my vote for kits. Good selection, lots of information on site, and very helpful customer service.

I've had great luck with ritebrew. Most kits are dme unless it's a specialty malt like Munich. From what I can tell they pack them to order, not grabbing out of a pile. Shipping via Speedee is dirt cheap if you are in their delivery area.

The only reason I ask is because today is my first brew ever. I was just thinking kits would be easiest until I learn more

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I've never been disappointed with a Northern Brewer kit. They are local for me so I pick them up at the store. I get the feeling that they have enough volume that nothing sits around for long.

So far I've done:

• Irish Red Ale (twice)
    Scottish 8/s (twice)
    Burbon Barrel Porter
    La Petite Orange (twice)
    Dead Ringer

All of them were excellent.

I was just thinking kits would be easiest until I learn more

I think that's a good approach.

On kits, I used to buy exclusively from Midwest but switched to Austin Homebrew. All the good things you hear about Midwest and their kits I found are true. However, I sometimes prefer to brew smaller batches and Midwest kits only come in LME form which I have found difficult to store well compared to DME. In terms of value, I find Austin's flat rate of $6.99 pretty appealing.

I think that's a good approach.

On kits, I used to buy exclusively from Midwest but switched to Austin Homebrew. All the good things you hear about Midwest and their kits I found are true. However, I sometimes prefer to brew smaller batches and Midwest kits only come in LME form which I have found difficult to store well compared to DME. In terms of value, I find Austin's flat rate of $6.99 pretty appealing.

Its not about kits anymore. Now big companies pay some one to sit there and pump out kits day after day and where house them. This is not the freshest way to do things. It would be nice to think we place an order and someone go's and fills that order. That "LHBS service" just doesn't happen With some of the big online HBS. Austin and Morebeer i feel do not do business this way. They are 2 of the big 4. Ive brewed great beers with all but not consistently with some.

It's been a few years, but depending on where you live. Williams Brewing has some nice kits and they arrive sooner than most...

I like the Northern Brewer recipes. Usually I read their recipes and buy the stuff separately, but their kits would be fine.
Austin ships all their kits for free! I made a brown ale from one of their kits and it came out great. Kits are a great way to start. Read up when you brew and learn the characteristics of each grain and why it was used in your beer.

I'm not a big fan of commercial pre boxed kits. There is no telling how long the ingredients have been pre packaged and sitting on a warehouse shelf.

I agree with this. I have brewed one that came with my starter kit from Midwest...and I haven't brewed one since then. If you have a LHBS more than likely their prices are WAY better than a kit. Also, in order to make a great beer, the freshest ingredients you can get your hands on will be the best. There are TONS of great recipes on here including recipes from Yooper, Edwort, Biermuncher, etc. just my .02 cents.

I agree with this. I have brewed one that came with my starter kit from Midwest...and I haven't brewed one since then. If you have a LHBS more than likely their prices are WAY better than a kit. Also, in order to make a great beer, the freshest ingredients you can get your hands on will be the best. There are TONS of great recipes on here including recipes from Yooper, Edwort, Biermuncher, etc. just my .02 cents.

I don't want to come off like a ritebrew shill but their kits are priced LESS than if you bought the individual ingredients. Way cheaper than any of the LHBS around me.

I've been by happy with Austin Homebrew. Their recipes aren't pre packaged, they measure out the ingredients when you order.

I've done a dozen or so and been happy with the results. Good instructions, huge selection. Prices can be a bit high, but it's a quality product.

I don't want to come off like a ritebrew shill but their kits are priced LESS than if you bought the individual ingredients. Way cheaper than any of the LHBS around me.

I get individual ingredients for my PM batches with White Labs vials for around $25-$30. Grains milled in front of me in a grain bag and all. Obviously not an imperial IPA or anything, but for your typical ale or lager, my LHBS has great prices.

Also, I'm not sure what a ritebrew shill is, but I'm sure you're very far from it. Lol. I'm sure auto correct is the culprit for that one.

Edit: I must add that my LHBS owner is an 80 year old retired engineer who isn't concerned about making a ton of money. He's been brewing since the 60s and loves it. He told me his goal is to break even each month and to have something to do other than watch Fox News.

I get mine from Adventures in Homebrewing. They are in Taylor, MI. They mill the grains fresh when you order the kit.

Back