best dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
I recently tried using Citra and realized that it is my favorite hop. It is very intense and resiny. I love the intensity of the hop. What other hops can I try that will give me that ultra-intensity?

I have used Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Cascades, etc., and they can be really great. However, the Citra really blows me away. I used to have Simcoe as my top hop.

I recently tried using Citra and realized that it is my favorite hop. It is very intense and resiny. I love the intensity of the hop. What other hops can I try that will give me that ultra-intensity?

I have used Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Cascades, etc., and they can be really great. However, the Citra really blows me away. I used to have Simcoe as my top hop.

I really like Mosaic with Citra.

I really like Mosaic with Citra.

i have 2 5-gallon batches of IPA in primary now, and I am planning what to do for dry hopping. I brewed a 10-gallon batch and hopped with Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic (8 ounces total in 11.75 gallons finished wort, all in the last 10 minutes.) It smells amazing. I was thinking of making one a Mosaic/Citra dry-hop and the other a Simcoe/Amarillo dry-hop. Maybe I'll go ahead with that plan or try one as a Mosaic/Citra and one as a Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra!!

I also smelled some Nelson Sauvin recently and got a huge heart on. I'd like to try that hop soon!!

I've been using summit and citra together and get tons of compliments. It's actually the wife's favorite beer.

i've been wondering about summit. i haven't tasted a beer with it since a friend used it in a mint beer he made. it kind of turned me off, mostly due to the mint. what is the summit hoppiness like? is it fruity or more dank?

i've been wondering about summit. i haven't tasted a beer with it since a friend used it in a mint beer he made. it kind of turned me off, mostly due to the mint. what is the summit hoppiness like? is it fruity or more dank?

Definitely dank. Its a great when mixed with other hop varieties.

I did not get that at all. I use it in late addition or dry hop, never have used it for bittering. That might be the key.

i'll try it out.

i've been finding lately, with experimenting with dry hopping, that i like the dry hop character a lot more than the boil hop character. has anyone tried just making a wort, bittering it and then adding lots of dry hops instead of boil aroma/flavor hops? I like the dry hop character a lot more than the boil hop character. it is a lot more resiny and fresh to me. maybe i'm adding the boil hops too late or early?

i'll try it out.

i've been finding lately, with experimenting with dry hopping, that i like the dry hop character a lot more than the boil hop character. has anyone tried just making a wort, bittering it and then adding lots of dry hops instead of boil aroma/flavor hops? I like the dry hop character a lot more than the boil hop character. it is a lot more resiny and fresh to me. maybe i'm adding the boil hops too late or early?

to quote myself, if i may, i added 8 ounces of pellet hops in the last 20 minutes to my last IPA. the hoppiness is ok, but not great. it smelled great during fermenation, but is kind of underwhelming when finished. every beer i've added even as little as 2 oz of dry hops to (for 5 gallons) i've been more impressed with than boil hops. maybe it's better to add all of the aroma/flavor hops to the dry hop stage. maybe i need to add some hops while chilling instead of during the boil as well? if i add whole cone hops i've found i can get a lot of hop character through the boil. for example, i made a 10 gallon batch of amberish wort that i pitched with english ale yeast and with lager yeast ( to make a dunkel. ) i used whole leaf hallertau, maybe 3 oz at 60 minutes and it was way too hoppy for either style. it had so much noble hop character that it was overpowering. however, when i make this hop bomb ipa with 8 oz of pellet hops, i'm not super impressed. why would that be?

Have you tried a hop-stand/hop-bursting/steep? I like to cool the wort to somewhere between 170-180, then add the hops and let steep for 20-30 mins. Then continue cooling to pitching temps from there. On some brews where I want massive fresh hop aroma, I've pretty much replaced then 0-15 min boil additions (or cut those way back) with the hop-stand. Dry hopping on top of this gives really great results where that big dry-hop flavor/aroma is the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just saw your last post after I replied above. From what I can gather you're going after, I'd suggest doing your bittering addition, then only minimal hop additions 0-30 mins during the boil. Even flameout additions will add some bitterness if not cooled quickly (and don't retain as much aroma as expected). Add a couple oz for a hop-burst as described above, and a couple oz for a dry hop, and I think you'll like the results.

Have you tried a hop-stand/hop-bursting/steep? I like to cool the wort to somewhere between 170-180, then add the hops and let steep for 20-30 mins. Then continue cooling to pitching temps from there. On some brews where I want massive fresh hop aroma, I've pretty much replaced then 0-15 min boil additions (or cut those way back) with the hop-stand. Dry hopping on top of this gives really great results where that big dry-hop flavor/aroma is the goal.

I recently read an article at theelectricbrewery.com where Kal did a Pale Ale or something where he used his boil kettle PID to maintain 170ish for a hop stand. I'm building an electric HERMS in my basement now and hop to experiment with this a lot more in the near future! ;) For now, I could try using my immersion chiller to bring down the wort temp, add some pellet hops and then stir them every once in awhile for 30 minutes or so and then chill down the rest of the way. I'v always been afraid of DMS, but I think with american 2-row it's a non-issue. I'll try a steep on my next hoppy brew and see what happens. I like the idea of adding hops when the heat is really low but is still there to extract the oils, sounds very reasonable.

Just saw your last post after I replied above. From what I can gather you're going after, I'd suggest doing your bittering addition, then only minimal hop additions 0-30 mins during the boil. Even flameout additions will add some bitterness if not cooled quickly (and don't retain as much aroma as expected). Add a couple oz for a hop-burst as described above, and a couple oz for a dry hop, and I think you'll like the results.

Is the "hop burst" the same as the "hop stand" I haven't found that adding hops in the last 20 minutes adds as much character as I'd like. I'm really interested in trying adding hops for a hot stand though, at maybe 170ish. I KNOW that dry hopping gives big rewards/ounce though!!!

Is the "hop burst" the same as the "hop stand" I haven't found that adding hops in the last 20 minutes adds as much character as I'd like. I'm really interested in trying adding hops for a hot stand though, at maybe 170ish. I KNOW that dry hopping gives big rewards/ounce though!!!

Yes, I think so. I've heard it called a hop stand, hop burst, steep, etc. Whatever the terminology, 170ish for 15-30 mins seems to give very nice aroma compared to 5 min or flameout additions, in my experience. I think the longer the temps remain high (close to boiling), the more hop aroma and flavor dissipates. I chill in an ice bath as quickly as possible down to 170ish, then the rest of the way after the hop stand. If you're wanting some good aroma just shy of a dry hop, it's a great technique. When combined with a dry hop for an IPA or very high aroma APA, I love it.

I also heard it called Whirlpool hopping (that's the title i go with at least) I agree with BrewinBromanite, i think the character of the hops you extract with this method is awesome and you dont boil away all those awesome hop oils you want. I Used it about 4 or 5 brews ago now, and I will never add late hops again(10 mins to flame out) i just feel like you get more bang for your buck! Also i suggest Trying Galaxy Hops. Did a APA with Marris Otter, Bit of Munich 20 and Galaxy and oh man was it good. A must try in my Opinion

I also heard it called Whirlpool hopping (that's the title i go with at least)...

^ That's the other terminology I was drawing a blank on. Lots of info in this forum about the technique (and different variations & theories), but I've been impressed with it after disappointing results with traditional 15/10/5/flameout additions. Of course, it all depends on what you are going for with a particular recipe.

Nelson is a lot of fun, I'm really intrigued by Pacific Gem as well, but I don't think they give you that "ultra-intensity" you're looking for. I certainly wouldn't dissuade you from using them, and they certainly aren't subtle hops, but compared to many of the American varieties, they're a little softer.

When I use the summit I don't go overboard. It is a strong hop and a little bit goes a long way. That is the same with the citra. Along side each other the summit lends a bittering note to the freshness of the citra. I would think more of a grapefruity kind of flavor. The aroma of the two together is unreal. No joke my wife was sitting about 5 feet from my tap when I poured the first one and she said how good it smelled.

The summit is more grapefruity than the citra which lends a welcome bitterness to it. The citra is smooth tasting on the lines of an apricot or sweet orange or maybe a non tart grapefruit if that makes sense. The summit puts a bit of punch to it. Gives the flavor a bit more backbone.

anyone comment on dry hopping with motueka or Hull Melon? Have some of those and was thinking they might be good mixed with some citra, mosaic or galaxy... even Nelson Sauv.
Thanks!

The summit is more grapefruity than the citra which lends a welcome bitterness to it. The citra is smooth tasting on the lines of an apricot or sweet orange or maybe a non tart grapefruit if that makes sense. The summit puts a bit of punch to it. Gives the flavor a bit more backbone.

Thats pretty much the way I use it, you can toss in something piney as well if you want a great trifecta.

I think I'm starting to finally zero in on getting some good hop character in my beer. I've tried the whirlpool hop stand on an american strong ale that gave some really nice hop flavor and some aroma for 6 oz. in 6 gallons of wort. I also have done a few small batches (3 gallons) that contained around 4 oz of dry hops that have been really great. I think I'm going to try doing a hop stand with the dry hop to push things over the edge of hoppiness!

I have a ton of hops on hand now. I recently tried a citra, simcoe, columbus combination that is pretty impressive. Now, I'm doing a calypso, nelson split batch that i plan to add el dorado or huel mellon to each half in a split batch. I'm also planning a nice session IPA-style beer that I am debating hops on. I think I might go with Nelson, Citra, Summit, Columbus on that. there are so many option!

Oh, I also tried a belgian trippel from a new local brewery recently that was brewed using Galazy for some pretty nice hop flavor/aroma that was really delicious. I was thinking of trying a belgian golden strong with a galaxy dry hop.

Well, I've tasted my split batch using the calypso, nelson, huel mellon, el dorado and galaxy hop combo. One was with US-05 and one with London Ale III. It's too early to compare them really, but the LAIII is definitely more fruity in the aroma and seems fuller in flavor. I prefer the US-05 right now, but it's had a few more days to condition. Maybe my hop combinations are a bit too muddled. I have a great general hoppiness, very intense and delicious, but it doesn't have a signature to it. I think I'm definitely zeroing in on great hoppiness. I have just been adding too little hops in the past. It takes a ton of hops to get that super hoppy, resiny character I am going for.

Has anyone experimented with how many ounces per galllon are required in the whirlpool and dryhop to get an intense hoppiness without "wasting" hops? Right now, I'm finding that in the dry hop, around 2 ounces per gallon gives me a really fantastic finished product. I haven't done a whirlpool with the intense dry hopping but will sometime in the next few months. So far I've just been doing the traditional last 15 minutes of the boil hopping. Seems like dry hopping gives a ton more bang for the buck.

Back