best dry hopping practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
I have recently become interested in trying to make the most flavorful hoppy beers possible. I sometimes have success and sometimes not. has anyone got a really good grasp on these two things?

1) when is the best time to dry hop and what levels are really needed for the hoppiest beer possible?

2) what can be done to keep the high intensity hop flavor as long as possible?

please give me your experiences with things that have worked for you consistently, not something you read online!

I have recently become interested in trying to make the most flavorful hoppy beers possible. I sometimes have success and sometimes not. has anyone got a really good grasp on these two things?

1) when is the best time to dry hop and what levels are really needed for the hoppiest beer possible?

2) what can be done to keep the high intensity hop flavor as long as possible?

please give me your experiences with things that have worked for you consistently, not something you read online!

1) when is the best time to dry hop and what levels are really needed for the hoppiest beer possible? After fermentation is complete. I usually do 1-2 ounces.

2) what can be done to keep the high intensity hop flavor as long as possible? Depends on what type of "flavor" you want...if you want the beer to be more bitter add more at the 60 min mark. If you want more floral, citrus ect... add more at the 30-15 marks. If you want it to hit the nose then add more at 5 min - flameout.

One of the keys is fresh hops....add a ton at flameout and whirlpool.for awesome hoppy flavors and aroma...dry hop for 5 days then do another round....never filter hops for best results

I just did an IPA that has a nice level of hoppiness. I used 100% Eureka (a mango hop if you as me!), 4 oz in the whirlpool for 30 minutes and then 6 oz in the fermentor on about day 5 of fermentation in 6 gallons of wort. I took a sample, and it is perfect. I'm worried that when I carbonate (in the keg) and chill it that the hops will die away within a couple weeks though. Is it better to store the beer a little warmer to maintain hoppiness? I do like 38F now but I thought maybe low 40s might make the hops and yeast drop out slower.

I just did an IPA that has a nice level of hoppiness. I used 100% Eureka (a mango hop if you as me!), 4 oz in the whirlpool for 30 minutes and then 6 oz in the fermentor on about day 5 of fermentation in 6 gallons of wort. I took a sample, and it is perfect. I'm worried that when I carbonate (in the keg) and chill it that the hops will die away within a couple weeks though. Is it better to store the beer a little warmer to maintain hoppiness? I do like 38F now but I thought maybe low 40s might make the hops and yeast drop out slower.

Sure enough, i just kegged the beer, and the hop flavor is much less than it was in the carboy. I think the yeast must be pulling out hop flavor. Maybe I should do my hop stand, ferment the beer out completely, chill down some to drop a bunch of yeast and then dump in a bunch of dry hops. Has anyone tried dropping the yeast out completely and maybe even fining and then dry hopping? the hoppy goodness might have a better chance of staying in solution that way. OR, maybe it would make sense to fine the beer when it is warm and then dry hop. I've heard that if you fine a beer when it is warm, it will never clear up when it is chilled.

Add an ounce or two of your dry hop into a sanitized hop sack and throw it in the keg. It works wonders

Add an ounce or two of your dry hop into a sanitized hop sack and throw it in the keg. It works wonders

I've been doing that too! I resurrected a couple kegs of IPA I had after a month or so by dumping 2 oz of dry hops into one and 4 oz into the other! It made them much more hoppy! It is a different kind of hoppiness though. it took a week or so for me to really enjoy the new flavor.

I've also been trying inverting my serving kegs a few times when they start clarifying too much. it seems to shake all of the hops and yeast back into suspension so that I can get some more of the hop flavor to come back.

One of the keys is fresh hops....add a ton at flameout and whirlpool.for awesome hoppy flavors and aroma...dry hop for 5 days then do another round....never filter hops for best results

Agreed!
I routinely do a 5 and 3 day dry hop at 68-70 then cold crash for 24-36. I've also been playing with a small cold crash before dry hopping to let the yeast drop out, then warm up to 68 and add the hops. Seems to work out well.

I do find that a charge at flameout and a 20-30 minute whirlpool until the wort chills to 180 or so makes the aroma very nice as well as some great flavor.
Just try things a few different ways and see what works for you.

Agreed!
I routinely do a 5 and 3 day dry hop at 68-70 then cold crash for 24-36. I've also been playing with a small cold crash before dry hopping to let the yeast drop out, then warm up to 68 and add the hops. Seems to work out well.

I do find that a charge at flameout and a 20-30 minute whirlpool until the wort chills to 180 or so makes the aroma very nice as well as some great flavor.
Just try things a few different ways and see what works for you.

Have you compared dry hopping with the yeast in suspension in primary before cold crashing with dropping the yeast first, then warming up and dry hopping or is it just kind of by memory? I think I will try doing the yeast drop followed by dry hopping next time.

I have been doing 0.5 - 1 oz per gallon in the whirlpool (at 160-170F) for 30-60 mins. I think maybe 60 mins is better than 30. I am constantly trying new things, but I haven't come upon the ultimate method for super hop bomb IPA that lasts a decent amount of time. I have a strong intuition that the yeast are pulling down a ton of hop flavor and aroma though. My beers that are dry hopped in primary with yeast in suspension taste AMAZING from the fermentor, but they are lacking when they are chilled and carbonated, good but not GREAT!

I have 2 5 gallon batches of Tasty's session pale ale in primary now, one with us-05 and one with omega yeast lab conan. i already dry hopped them with yeast in suspension. I think i'll chill them down, drop the yeast, and then warm them up and throw in more hops to see if that helps the situation!

This is a good read

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/10-tips-to-optimize-dry-hop-aroma.html

Something to add, I also heard on a podcast a while back that letting your hops warm to room temp 24hrs before brewing and dry hopping help release more goodness from the hops.

1 more thing, I will cold crash and add gelatin. Then bring back to room temp, add hops then after X days cold crash again to drop hop debris. If you use gelatin and you cold crash after you dry hop there is a theory that it will also diminish your hop aroma.

This is a good read

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/10-tips-to-optimize-dry-hop-aroma.html

Something to add, I also heard on a podcast a while back that letting your hops warm to room temp 24hrs before brewing and dry hopping help release more goodness from the hops.

thanks. i read that. it has some good advice i think. i am going to invest in a CO2 transfer setup to get from primary to keg/dry hop keg.

I wonder if this makes sense:

Primary ferment and then put a bung in the carboy and chill down to freezing to drop as much yeast as possible.

After yeast drops, warm beer back up to a few degrees warmer than the primary ferment temp (to make sure CO2 pushes out instead of atmospheric air coming in) and then dry hop in primary.

rack from primary under CO2 to a dry hop keg or directly to consumption keg.

For fun, I just inverted my Eureka! ipa keg a few times and then poured a sample and compared with before shaking it. it is obviously much cloudier after inverting the keg. the aroma is stronger and the flavor is stronger. maybe i just need to invert my kegs periodically to get the hoppy goodness back into suspension? it's a pretty dramatic change.

Have you compared dry hopping with the yeast in suspension in primary before cold crashing with dropping the yeast first, then warming up and dry hopping or is it just kind of by memory? I think I will try doing the yeast drop followed by dry hopping next time.

I have been doing 0.5 - 1 oz per gallon in the whirlpool (at 160-170F) for 30-60 mins. I think maybe 60 mins is better than 30. I am constantly trying new things, but I haven't come upon the ultimate method for super hop bomb IPA that lasts a decent amount of time. I have a strong intuition that the yeast are pulling down a ton of hop flavor and aroma though. My beers that are dry hopped in primary with yeast in suspension taste AMAZING from the fermentor, but they are lacking when they are chilled and carbonated, good but not GREAT!

I have 2 5 gallon batches of Tasty's session pale ale in primary now, one with us-05 and one with omega yeast lab conan. i already dry hopped them with yeast in suspension. I think i'll chill them down, drop the yeast, and then warm them up and throw in more hops to see if that helps the situation!
This will be my first real test of letting fermentation finish, chill a little then rise to dry hop for 5 days or so then a true cold crash.
I don't know if I have noticed a huge difference with longer whirlpools especially after it gets below 150. Plus, waiting an hour to chill and pitch doesn't always work for me.
I also enjoy dry hopping in the keg but if you like clear beers, that's not always gonna happen but it does give some real nice aroma. And, I've had some beers I wasn't happy with and adding 2 oz in the keg for 3 days or so can be a real beer saver sometimes.

Sure enough, i just kegged the beer, and the hop flavor is much less than it was in the carboy. I think the yeast must be pulling out hop flavor. Maybe I should do my hop stand, ferment the beer out completely, chill down some to drop a bunch of yeast and then dump in a bunch of dry hops. Has anyone tried dropping the yeast out completely and maybe even fining and then dry hopping? the hoppy goodness might have a better chance of staying in solution that way. OR, maybe it would make sense to fine the beer when it is warm and then dry hop. I've heard that if you fine a beer when it is warm, it will never clear up when it is chilled.

I heard Vinny said that he does a dry hop, then cold crashes, then brings to fermenting temp, then dry hops again. I've done this with no perceiveable difference. Just a waste of time and hops.

Here's what I've noticed:

Hop stand (whirlpool) at FO. 10-30 minutes. All late addition hops. Dry hopping 3-4 ounces for 7 days (not 5 because there is surely a difference from 5 compared to 7).

This is my experience.

I just finished listening to the latest Brewing Network Session where Colin Kaminski discussed this exact idea. He believes that yeast cling on to some of the hop goodness and pull it out while the yeast flocs. So his suggestion is to cold crash, fine and then bring back to room temp and then dry hop. I have an Orange Cascades Pale in my fermenter right now and will be giving this theory a try this week.

Sounds great. Please update. I am going to try it
Will do.

Note that I did not specify in my post above to transfer to a secondary after cold crashing/fining and before warming and dry hopping.
I am going to use a keg as a secondary so that I can either just server from it, or do a closed transfer to avoid extra transfers that are exposed to air.

Outside of the normal suggestions (minimize O2 [probably the most important], focus on flameout / whirlpool / hopstand / dry hopping, dry hop warm, dry hop in the keg), you might consider yeast immobilization as kind of a nutty suggestion:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=404698

Theoretically, one positive of a yeast-immobilized fermentation is you would have no floc, which would avoid stripping hop lipids and hop matter out of suspension. I gave it a shot on a double IPA (as you'll see near the end of the thread) to test this, but my yeast escaped their magic beans of captivity and I had a normal fermentation in the end. I'm not sure what the end result would be in a keg / after a cold crash (especially if you had loose, unfiltered hop matter at any point in the process, which would effectively drag down through the solution). Just something wacky to contemplate.

1- ferment beer at low temps
2- do a d-rest to remove chances of diacetyl and ensure fermentation is finished.
3- add a substantial dryhop (my APA's get 2.5oz normally - IPAs get 3.5-4oz)
4- let the dryhop sit max 3 days, then cold crash for an additional 2 days.
5- transfer by co2 to keg if possible, to ensure no oxygen pickup.
6- I gelatin as well, i like th taste of clear beer over hazy beer. (Call it personal preference)
people reckon gelatin drops too much aroma out, but i notice a minimal difference, and it tastes cleaner (Most likely my own mind playing tricks)
7- carbonate drink and enjoy with friends. (most important part)

I've got a Blind pig clone with 100% NZ hops, which will get an even shorter Dryhop 48 hours, due to the grassiness of NZ Hops.
3.5oz of hops in the dryhop (4 different varieties in equal portions)

huh, maybe i'll focus on oxygen. i use tons of hops, so that's not the problem. i feel like i destroyed a hoppy pale ale with gelatin, but i didn't do a side by side, so maybe it can work. maybe if you want that super intense, fresh, cloudy hoppiness, you just have to drink it within a week or two?

huh, maybe i'll focus on oxygen. i use tons of hops, so that's not the problem. i feel like i destroyed a hoppy pale ale with gelatin, but i didn't do a side by side, so maybe it can work. maybe if you want that super intense, fresh, cloudy hoppiness, you just have to drink it within a week or two?

Yeah oxygen is your enemy.
my beers improved o end when introducing co2 for transfer.
you could theoretically destroy with gelatin, but in my experience less is more.
1/2tsp with 1/2 cup hot water, throw into keg, and transfer on top.
I find minimal difference.
It just depends if you want clear beer or not, if you dont care, then i wouldn't worry about it.

I finish fermentation, then transfer to the keg. I fine with gelatin, chill, and carbonate at once. Then, 5-7 days later, I add in 2 oz or so of hops in a voile hop bag and put it back in the fridge.

Back