Best Commercial Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yreval

Reaction score
I know a lot of beer aficionados kinda turn up their nose at the annual arrival of pumpkin beers. I understand. That said, it *is* that time of year again; I know they're starting to flood my local bottle shop.

Those of you that are willing to drink the stuff (or, perhaps, even enjoy it): What's your favorite? There are a lot of cloying and nauseous brews out there, but there are definitely a few diamonds in the rough also. If I'm gonna pick up a pack for the season, I need some guidance. :cross:

Pumpking, from Southern Tier is my favorite. I know I've had some others that I enjoyed, but the only other ones that come to mind right now are the bad ones - Sam Adams Pumpkin Harvest (I think that's what it's called), O'Fallon's, and Schlafly's were pretty terrible.

I never liked pumpkins but my brother convinced me to brew Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale clone... He's in the restaurant and bar industry with about fifty beers on tap and last year they kept selling out of it.

I coincidentally found the recipe in the latest BYO magazine...

Southern Tier Pumking is my favorite but I did just have an Anderson Valley Pumpkin aged in Whiskey Barrels that was delicious.

Saint Arnold Pumpkinator

It sells out pretty much first day all around Houston. It lasts longer in Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas.

It is probably my favorite beer of all time.. I LOVE it. Wish it was easier to get around here.

Talking about Pumpkin beer in August is ... it's just wrong. Having said that, Pumpking is delicious. It's already in the shelves, and the bar around the corner has it on tap. Haven't bought one on principal.

Hard to pick one favorite but my 2 favorites are the Southern Tier Pumking and the Arcadia Jaw Jacker

I used to really like Schlafly's Pumpkin, but the last several years it hasn't been that great. Maybe my palate has changed or they tweaked the recipe or something...I dunno. Mother's Brewing Company has a beer called Mr. Pumpkin that is pretty good. Last year I discovered Crown Valley's Imperial Pumpkin Smash and it's pretty much become my favorite. Pumpkin beers are pretty much my favorite beers and I'm always on the look out for another one to try. I know that people get cranky about them coming out in August, but a good beer is a good beer regardless of the time of the year.

not sure why I feel you have a negative attitude toward pumpkin ales... everyone likes different things... for example,, pepper beer,,, or vegetable beer... smoke beer or sours... I happen to like pumpkin ales. just sayin : -)

From a review on Boston.com:

1. Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale: The organic brewery out of Middlebury, Vt. came in at the top spot. Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale was supremely well balanced. Pumpkin is present, but it's not in your face. There's a subtle hop overtone that lets you know you're drinking a real ale. My fellow tasters ranked this highly as well. This is exactly what I want in a pumpkin beer.

I couldn't agree more. If you hate the sweet, liquid pie style most brands offer for pumpkin ale don't despair; Wolaver's is the beer drinker's pumpkin. I'd drink it year round if it was available....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's a clone recipe for Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale in the last issue of BYO. So you could fulfill that drinking it year round desire if you wanted to...

I'll have to check that out , thanks!!

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin and DFH Punkin Ale are favorites. There's new stuff moving into the market out here so maybe I'll find a new one.

I second St. Arnold's "Pumpkinator" in this category. If you can get your hands on a bottle, around mid-October when it is released (and an Imperial Stout fan) I am of the opinion you will be pleased with this pumpkin beer. As it is a limited release, and highly sought after in TX, you will have to act fast to get your hands on a bottle. :mug:

Braaaiins! from Spring House Brewing is the only one I really like. I haven't had Pumpking but I've heard that they're similar. I hope to try that one this year.

I have a bottle of Tröegs' Master of Pumpkins from last year. I didn't plan to age it initially, but I didn't get to it before Thanksgiving and afterwards it didn't seem right to drink it. I'd like to get a fresh bottle this year and compare them.

I haven't had too many, but I recently bought Uinta's and Dogfish Head's. Uinta's was just ok, a little too bitter and lacking body. Dogfish Punkin Ale was pretty good though. That's one of my favorites.

Also I just need to say that I'm genuinely shocked by how many people are saying Southern Tier Pumking is their favorite! That is by far the WORST beer I've ever tasted. Not just the worst pumpkin beer, but the worst beer I've ever had. I would drink a skunked natty light over that beer. I've bought two bombers of it over the years and I poured them both out. I just don't see the appeal. It tastes like they backsweetened a beer with cheap butter flavored pancake syrup. Or maybe like yeast are pooping straight diacetyl into my mouth! I've never bought anything else by Southern Tier because if they can make something that foul, I can't bring myself to take a chance on anything else they've made.

Anyway, rant over! All the Pumking lovers may proceed to flame me!!

I'm a big fan of Fermentation Without Representation from Epic Brewing. Nice porter with just enough spice to taste without being over the top.

I can take or leave most pumpkin-spice beers. However, the one I really like every year is Shipyard Pumpkinhead. One place I went to last week served it in a pint glass with cinnamon sugar around the rim. Damn tasty.

I would have to say Southern Tier Pumking; as far as pumpkin beers go, this one is great. I personally don't like a beer that is just brewed with "pumpkin spice", this one doesn't have that fake spicy flavor to it, it has a very smooth pumpkin flavor, like fresh natural pumpkin.

I haven't had too many, but I recently bought Uinta's and Dogfish Head's. Uinta's was just ok, a little too bitter and lacking body. Dogfish Punkin Ale was pretty good though. That's one of my favorites.

Also I just need to say that I'm genuinely shocked by how many people are saying Southern Tier Pumking is their favorite! That is by far the WORST beer I've ever tasted. Not just the worst pumpkin beer, but the worst beer I've ever had. I would drink a skunked natty light over that beer. I've bought two bombers of it over the years and I poured them both out. I just don't see the appeal. It tastes like they backsweetened a beer with cheap butter flavored pancake syrup. Or maybe like yeast are pooping straight diacetyl into my mouth! I've never bought anything else by Southern Tier because if they can make something that foul, I can't bring myself to take a chance on anything else they've made.

Anyway, rant over! All the Pumking lovers may proceed to flame me!!

I love Pumking and I think it is by far the best representation of a Imperial Pumpkin beer.
As far as other beers by Southern Tier, don't judge the their other beers without trying them. You may not like Pumking but I would be willing to bet you would love some of their other stuff.:mug:

I like the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin and the DF Punkin Ale.

I picked up a bottle of Pumking over the weekend...yeah not a fan. It starts off nice up front where you actually can taste the pumpkin and not just a mouthful of cinnamon and allspice. But the finish, all I could taste was this mix of hoppy biscuity mess, I guess what they refer to on the label as "pie crust" flavor. It just didn't mesh well for me, didn't seem all that balanced.

I really want to like these beers, and I've tried many, but unfortunately all I can taste in them is the allspice.

This is exactly why I brew my own recipes haha. I actually like the taste of pumpkin and brew accordingly instead of all the pie spice they usually taste like.

Pumpking by Southern Tier is my least favorite by far. Was looking forward to trying it and I honestly hope the one I had was a bad batch. It tasted like a shot of pumpkin pie spice tincture. I bought 2 fought my way through 1 and put the other in the back of my keezer to give to someone I don't like...

From a review on Boston.com:

1. Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale: The organic brewery out of Middlebury, Vt. came in at the top spot. Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale was supremely well balanced. Pumpkin is present, but it's not in your face. There's a subtle hop overtone that lets you know you're drinking a real ale. My fellow tasters ranked this highly as well. This is exactly what I want in a pumpkin beer.

I couldn't agree more. If you hate the sweet, liquid pie style most brands offer for pumpkin ale don't despair; Wolaver's is the beer drinker's pumpkin. I'd drink it year round if it was available....

But it is! Wolaver's shared their clone recipe in last months BYO Magazine

I really liked last years Pumpkin Patch from Rogue. I had it up in Portland in their taproom and it was amazing. Had it out of the bottle a month later and, while still good, not nearly as good out the tap. Haven't bought one yet this year.

Just saw this thread and I regret my purchase of Sam Adams Pumpkin Harvest. I will however try it anyways.

Glad to see that Tröegs and Weyerbacher are high on the good list. Being from Pa, but living in Ga not sure if I will be able to try it, but I'm going to seek these out.

Sorry I couldn't add anything to the post. Maybe a review of Pumpkin Harvest over the weekend.

Just saw this thread and I regret my purchase of Sam Adams Pumpkin Harvest. I will however try it anyways.

Glad to see that Tröegs and Weyerbacher are high on the good list. Being from Pa, but living in Ga not sure if I will be able to try it, but I'm going to seek these out.

Sorry I couldn't add anything to the post. Maybe a review of Pumpkin Harvest over the weekend.

Hey, I'm in Smyrna too! I'm pretty sure I saw Weyerbacher's pumpkin at Smyrna World of Beverages on South Cobb near the East-West Connector. They have a pretty decent selection there.

This is exactly why I brew my own recipes haha. I actually like the taste of pumpkin and brew accordingly instead of all the pie spice they usually taste like.

But can you ACTUALLY taste the pumpkin? Most of what I read seems to suggests that pumpkin itself contributes essentially no flavor and is only included in those recipes so that it technically be called a "pumpkin beer." Anyone else have thoughts on this?

My favorite pumpkin beer this year is Schlafly's. Bought 4 Pumking 1 was great 2 tasted like alcohol and 1 still in fridge... not much consistency. All the Schlafly's have tasted great and YES you can taste the pumpkin it isn't all about the spice.

Pumpking by Southern Tier is my least favorite by far. Was looking forward to trying it and I honestly hope the one I had was a bad batch. It tasted like a shot of pumpkin pie spice tincture. I bought 2 fought my way through 1 and put the other in the back of my keezer to give to someone I don't like...

But it is! Wolaver's shared their clone recipe in last months BYO Magazine

I couldn't agree more. Last year their PumKing was excellent. I even brewed a double batch based on the recipe here on HBT that turned out great.
However this year's brew is AWFUL!! Much too much cinnamon. It's overpowering & you can't get beyond that initial smack to your pallet.
Hopefully they'll improve next year.
Otherwise I'll stick to my clone.

Back