Best brew day so far!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
So yesterday morning I decanted the starter "beer" and added another 1/2 gallon starter on top of the yeast slurry and headed off to work with brewing to look forward to upon my return.

I came home to a starter with a nice krausen on top and 6 gallons of strike water at the perfect temperature (SWMBO is so awesome!!!)... it's Tripel time :rockin:

Everything just seemed to go smoothly:
- The mash only lost 0.4*F over 75 minutes (more grain, less headspace I'm assuming)
- Sparge volume ended to up being exactly what we wanted
- The starter was the proper size and pitched at high krausen
- Hit 72% efficiency (have been having problems lately not getting over 68%)

Even when I realized with 5 minutes left of the boil that the bucket we had already cleaned/sanitized didn't have a lid to go with it, we simply got the proper equipment sanitized to transfer our maple cream ale into a corny and cleaned it's lid in a calm and efficient manner and didn't let it phase us. It took a little over a year but I believe we have our set-up dialed in and completely figured out. It's a great feeling, considering the severe ghetto nature of our rig.

What this post really boils down is I wouldn't be to this point if it wasn't for the great talent and patience of everybody on HBT. Through all of you I have learned in three years what could have taken twice as long on my own.

Thank you!

Bach7210

Reaction score
Great to hear of your success. Some brew days are just like that for me. A picture of relaxation by a boiling pot of wort, wonderful. Others...I've got some great stories!

OP
Reno_eNVy

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
UPDATE

Holy carp, it's going crazy! Hardest fermentation we've seen to date. Dumped in a fat starter on Tuesday night and it started bubbling a bit after just an hour but wow it has really escalated out of control! I woke up this morning to a 1g water bottle half full of foam (really good thing we used a blow-off) and the bubbles sounded more like a muffled machine gun than anything :eek: The yeast is a beast and smells amazing.

Here's the recipe if anybody is interested:

Belgian Tripel
13.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.22 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
2.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
2.00 lb Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM) Sugar 11.11 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.56 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) Yeast-Ale

6 gallons
OG 1.090 (72% eff)