best book for all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinmarty

Big Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which would be the best book to learn how to do all grain brews.. I'll await your reviews and suggestions.

Cheers to all.

I like John Palmer's "How to Brew". Seems popular, not sure if you have already read that and are looking for more.

If you need something you can put by the throne and is methodical, Palmer is probably the one, but most of what I have learned came from HomeBrewTalk, BrauKaiser, The Jamil Show, and YouTube.

If you need something you can put by the throne and is methodical, Palmer is probably the one, but most of what I have learned came from HomeBrewTalk, BrauKaiser, The Jamil Show, and YouTube.

+1

and add thebrewingnetwork.com

www.homebrewtalk.com

Just kidding, kinda... i just read the tutorials and used the search as much as i could until i eventually felt comfortable/bored of waiting and i just tried it. Really, it is simple just sounds complicated. Watch a friend or some You Tube videos if you need the visual to help, I think I watched one right before i tried it and helped quite a bit.

This.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and video is a solid stream of pictures. Use youtube.
Look up Bobby_M. There's an Osborn(e) guy there with a bunch of vids too.

Starting in the early 90's I have to suggest The complete Joy and Homebrewers Companion along with all the Classic Beer Style Series books. You will always refer back to them.

In addition to looking at sample videos from you tube and several books you my also want to look at some online brewing software like BeerSmith of ProMash. I started using BeerSmith when I did all grain brewing and it really helped check my math and build confidence in what I was doing since I did not have anyone in oerson to show me the complete process. I paid $23 for BeerSmith 1.0 and now there is a newer version online with a free trial period.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll go with Palmers how to brew. seems like the most popular. Wanted to make sure cause I'm on a limited budget right now and rather spend it on equipment and ingredients than books. Already bookmarked brewing network and couple others but don't always want to be sitting in front of the computer. That's why I wanted to find 1 good book that would teach me everything on all grain brewing.

Cheers to all.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll go with Palmers how to brew. seems like the most popular. Wanted to make sure cause I'm on a limited budget right now and rather spend it on equipment and ingredients than books. Already bookmarked brewing network and couple others but don't always want to be sitting in front of the computer. That's why I wanted to find 1 good book that would teach me everything on all grain brewing.

Cheers to all.

limited budget? i'd go to youtube and other internet sites for the videos. the videos are far and away easier to understand the first time around than books.

This.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and video is a sold stream of pictures. Use youtube.
Look up Bobby_M. There's an Osborn(e) guy there with a bunch of vids too.

thanks passedpawn love the Bobby_m videos on how to brew all grain. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

cheers

I got a tablet computer so among other things I can peruse HBT whenever I'm near a WebZone. Furthermore, I can download various materials - pdfs about brewing or any of the above books.

It also works great near the throne! Not that I'd know.

Brent

I got a tablet computer so among other things I can peruse HBT whenever I'm near a WebZone. Furthermore, I can download various materials - pdfs about brewing or any of the above books.

It also works great near the throne! Not that I'd know.

Brent

If I was that well equipped I would not need a book. especially for reading in bed in the evening or on the can, not that you would know anything about reading in the throne room :cross:

I've read several books on brewing, my favorite being "Beer, tap into the art and science of brewing". It gets rather scientific though, just a fair warning if you aren't very fluent in that area.

Back