best bag for pellets in keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
I have a beer that has been aging in a corny, and I would like to do a second dry hop with some pellets that I have laying around ( i know, spare me). What would be the best way to add these to the keg? I was thinking about tea bag material. Anybody done this yet?

Iordz said:
I do it quite often. I one of these:http://morebeer.com/view_product/15685/102209 The bag is dedicated to dry hopping only, and I boil it before I put it in the keg and after I take it out.

thanks for the repply. i do use those in fermenter, but wasn't sure if they would be good out of a serving vessel. glad to hear it works for you. i guess it's no big deal if there is a small amount of particulate for the first pull.

I used a bag like that, too. It worked fine, but the last time I used a large stainless steel tea ball. I just sanitized, and added some leaf hops. That worked great, but I'm not sure how well it would work with pellets.

I used a paint straining bag. I think it was like $6.00 for a pack of three at the local hardware store.

I use a stainless Tea Ball. Drop it in Starsan for a minute, put your hops in, drop it in the keg. Works like a champ.

infuser%20ball%202.jpg

Thanks again everybody. I have the tea strainers too. I was thinking that a press and seal diy teabag might be good for keg, but have not seen it. They come in large sizes too.

press_and_brew_teabags.jpg

I prefer to keep the hop bits from floating around in the beer. Those tea bags look to be effective. On my last IPA I used a knee high pantyhose, new and carefully cleaned, of course. I used leaf hops, though, so that's a little different than pellet.

To be totally ghetto, you can use women's knee-highs, for sale in just about every grocery store and drugstore in the country. I use them for both grain-bags to steep and as hop bags in my boil and secondary (for dry-hopping.)

NOVA Brewer said:
To be totally ghetto, you can use women's knee-highs, for sale in just about every grocery store and drugstore in the country. I use them for both grain-bags to steep and as hop bags in my boil and secondary (for dry-hopping.)

Yeah, good idea. I'm finding I can't get much hops into one of SWMBO's thongs. :)

A regular sized tea bag is much too small. Those hops blow up like a fat woman's ankle after a chinese meal.

Here's what I've used time and again:
1-gallon paint strainer from Lowe's.
1-small plastic zip tie.
Some sanitized marbles (plenty of them...hops are very "floaty")

Make sure to zip tie the bag at the bottom of the dip tube, but high enough to prevent the bag from clogging the intake:

DryHop1.JPG

DryHop2.jpg

Dryhop5.jpg

Dryhop7.jpg

Yep. Sinks right down to the dip tube. Works like a charm. I leave it in there till the keg is empty.

That is good to know, since I just picked up two of them from Northern Brewer. I have a DIPA to dry hop with some Cascade pellets. Even with pellets you find that it clears up ok? If so I must say I'm pleasantly surprised.

Back