Best artificial sweetener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseymac91

Reaction score
What is your opinion on the best artificial back-sweetener for hard cider? Truvia, splenda, equal, or sweet n low? I'd like to hear from people who have actually used them. Xylitol is not an option for me, it causes stomach pain. I've tried back sweetening with AJ concentrate and bottle pasteurizing. It tasted good, but was more trouble than it's worth for me. I'd rather add my priming sugar and be done with it, like beer.

I find that stevia (Truvia) has the most pleasant taste of the alternative sweeteners, as it is rather flavorless. Plus, it's completely natural and unfermentable and is acceptably used by British pubs to backsweeten their housemade ciders. You might say it is "authentic" for this day and age.

This is up to you. At this point, you should go by taste. If you put too much, though, your brew might end up tasting like those fake, sugary fruit "drinks." Stevia is not COMPLETELY flavorless, but it is by far the best tasting.

Back