American Wheat Beer Berry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-3

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast California Lager 2112
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
14.7 before the friut addition which gives a nice tartness in addition to the hops
Color
4.31 SRM before the fruit addition, nice deep red afterwards
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Additional Fermentation
Bottle conditioning for 3 weeks
Tasting Notes
Nice fruit tartness, not as sweet as Leinenkugle Berry Weiss
HI all,

SWMBO put me to the challenge - make a clone of Leinenkugle Berry Weiss, but less sweet, so it can be more drinkable.

I came up with this after a few tries, and I have to say it is one great beer! I have not entered it in any competitions, but I have had a few friends volunteer to purchase all of the ingredients so that I can brew a batch for them.

Partial Mash Recipe, 5.5 gal batch.

BerryCapture_zpspwgdza3o.png

The mash is only for the 2 row and Crystal malts, as all of the extract should be added at flameout. Your mash time may vary from what I have above. I got conversion in 30 minutes and I checked with iodine, but your results may vary.

I purposely kept the IBU's low, because the fresh fruit will lend a tartness that mixes well with the hop bitterness. I also kept the SRM low because I wanted the berries to color it as much as possible.

After primary fermentation is over, place 24 ounces of fresh raspberries and 24 ounces of fresh blackberries in a blender with a few shots of vodka, pulse your blender a few times until the fruit is all broken down.

Then pour all of the fruit into your secondary container and rack the beer on top of it. Leave yourself some headroom, as the sugars in the fruit will start a new round of fermentation going. I left it alone for 14 days in secondary and then bottled with priming sugar and the 4 ounces of lactose listed in the recipe above just to cut the fruit tartness a little.

It's such a simple recipe, but it tastes great and with the lower ABV it lets you have a couple when it's hot outside without getting a headache. The OG/FG listed above is based off of the primary only, you will end up with a different FG after all of the fruit sugars are eaten by the yeasts.

This is what it came out looking like:

berry%20wheat_zpsafvyzse0.jpg

Hope you enjoy it!

Not surprise your is not as sweet. If I remember correctly they use berry flavoring (flavor station) instead of real fruit.

Latest posts

Back