Berry Wheat Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsn309

Reaction score
So I brewed a base wheat beer this weekend, and it's sitting in my primary. I plan to rack it to a secondary this weekend and want to add some fruit flavors.

I originally planned to add some wild raspberries I picked last summer and froze, but I don't have as many left as I thought. So instead I am going to mix in some blueberries, and blackberries with the raspberries. I'm going to puree the fruit and steep for about 5 minutes to sterilize. I plan to keep it to about 2lbs total and let it sit in the secondary for about 2 weeks.

This is my first "fruit" beer so I don't want to overdo it and end up drinking potpourri. Does this sound like a good plan? I'm also thinking of adding some coriander because I like the taste in wheat beers and it could help cut any tart flavors from the fruit. Kind of going for a lemon berry wheat.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Cheers! :mug:

Doesn't sound too bad but let me make some suggestions (and ask a question):

1) Steep your berries in what? If you're attempting to sanitize with star san that's not going to do very well and you'll lose a bunch of juices and flavors. If you're going to sanitize with boiling or hot water then you're going to lose even more juice and flavors. All you have to do is freeze them. That not only sanitizes them but it breaks open cell walls and allows tons of juice and goodness to flow out.

2) You definitely won't be drinking potpourri with only 2lbs of fruit. Fruit juices have a lot of sugar and the flavors that are volatile can be "scrubbed" out by fermentation. I'd go with 5lbs total.

3) Coriander won't really cut tartness from fruit. You can't fix tart with tart ;)

I hope that helps :mug:

Thanks Reno. I already planned on freezing the fruit (to break cell walls...) but I had read other people still suggest boiling in hot water (also read soaking in Vodka) even if frozen. It'd be a lot easier if I can just use them frozen though!

I can up the fruit but think 5lbs might be too much for a 5 gallon batch. Maybe take it to 3lbs? If it's not strong enough I can always increase it on the next batch. If it comes out light it should still be drinkable without being too fruity.

Do you think the coriander is worth adding?

Cheers. :tank:

One other thing I am wondering. I have some pectic enzyme that I use with cider to clear out the haze caused by fruit pectin. Has anyone ever used this in a "fruit" beer and is it worth adding?

Many thanks!

Oh yeah, pectin works great for clearing fruit beers. Time helps too but I don't know how much beer turn-out you have.

As far as boiling, I just wouldn't. You will drive off a lot of volatile compounds that contribute flavor. Yes, the same thing happens during fermentation but if you boil and scrub off volatile compounds there won't be much flavor left.

Go the vodka route if it brings peace of mind :mug:

Thanks again Reno. I plan to let it sit for two weeks once adding the fruit. I'll add the pectic enzyme at the same time. Maybe I'll rack to a tertiary for another two weeks before bottling.

I've heard the longer you let fruit beers condition the better the flavors so I'm not in a rush with this one. I've got a few other brews on tap so my fridge won't be empty! :D

Back