Benefits of Double Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMK1992

Reaction score
I was wondering today what the benefits of double dry hopping over single dry hopping are. I read about a beer by a UK brewery who have quadruple dry hopped with 35 grams per litre! I have an IPA which I plan on double dry hopping. The first charge of hops will be added just after fermentation for 4 days then removed and the second charge added for 4-5days.

Any advice on dry hopping would be greatly appreciated.

@bleme I’ve been pushing this idea of more is not better for the past two years in some of the ipa thread on here and have gotten so much push back. I figured it out anecdotally trough my own trials and errors, so now I’m excited to have science to back it up

I read/saw an interview (I can't recall which it was) where The Alchemist claims they use significantly less hops than they have seen in some of the clone recipes of their beers.

@bleme I’ve been pushing this idea of more is not better for the past two years in some of the ipa thread on here and have gotten so much push back. I figured it out anecdotally trough my own trials and errors, so now I’m excited to have science to back it up

The question, then, becomes how do some of these breweries get such extreme hop flavor?

I really liked the part where it talked about how the oils responsible for citrus flavors saturate at lower levels than the oils responsible for other flavors do, so once you hit that point you are changing the balance of flavors instead of just increasing the level of flavors. That's a powerful tool for the tool-belt.

Check out this great article on the science of dry-hopping. I suspect that UK brewery is doing that mostly for marketing purposes.
"https://patspints.com/2019/01/16/the-surprising-science-of-dry-hopping-lessons-from-tom-shellhammer/"

Here is a link to the actual article regarding diminishing returns:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...rofiles-of-beer.pdf?origin=publication_detail

I will note that this was only done with Cascade hops (looks like they ground up whole cones?), so we can’t really extrapolate this effect to other cultivars (eg does this same g/L ratio hold up with Galaxy?).

Additionally, it looks like they basically keg hopped in mesh bags, prior to filtering the beer for sensory analysis. Did this affect the outcome?

Regardless, I have found from my own dry hopping that more hops doesn’t always equal more aroma/flavor.

The question, then, becomes how do some of these breweries get such extreme hop flavor?
Proper fermentation with a clean desired ester production. eliminating oxygen contact so that hop compounds do not oxidize. Dryhoping under pressure to keep surface tension so oil volatization is minimized.

I have found that 2.0-2.5 oz/ gallon total in combination of boil, whirlpool, and dryhop Seems to be the sweet spot for me. Ends up being 10-12 total ounces for a 5 gallon beer

Last edited:
I have found, via my own nose, that if I do two dry hoppings I get more detectable aroma than I was getting with just one. After fermentation, I'd toss the first round in, usually 1-1.5 oz of hops, and then around day 5-6 toss the second one in, usually the same amount. Then let them sit till sometime between day 10-12.

Nothing scientific about it. Just wasn't happy with the aroma in my IPAs and wanted more. This seemed to do the trick and bump it up to noticeable levels that I was happy with.

I have found, via my own nose, that if I do two dry hoppings I get more detectable aroma than I was getting with just one. After fermentation, I'd toss the first round in, usually 1-1.5 oz of hops, and then around day 5-6 toss the second one in, usually the same amount. Then let them sit till sometime between day 10-12.

Nothing scientific about it. Just wasn't happy with the aroma in my IPAs and wanted more. This seemed to do the trick and bump it up to noticeable levels that I was happy with.

Did you compare to same amount of hops added at once?

Proper fermentation with a clean desired ester production. eliminating oxygen contact so that hop compounds do not oxidize. Dryhoping under pressure to keep surface tension so oil volatization is minimized.

I have found the a total of 2.0-2.5 oz/ gallon for a beer tends to be the sweet spot

So approximately 10-12 ounces total for a 5 gallon batch. What is your preferred breakdown for bittering/whirlpool/dry hop? How many ounces in each step?

Did you compare to same amount of hops added at once?
To an extent, never did a solo 12 ounce in boil beer but I’ve done all whirlpool and all dryhop beer of 10-12 ounces and then various combination of boil/wp/DH. All whirlpool had a good ending flavor but missed the upfront flavor. All dryhop was very delicate and was missing depth.

So approximately 10-12 ounces total for a 5 gallon batch. What is your preferred breakdown for bittering/whirlpool/dry hop? How many ounces in each step?
Depends on style of IPA I am going for
West coast I’m usually at 30% boil ( with 1 oz of that being a 60 min of magnum) 35% whirlpool at 150 and 35% dryhopped 3 day before keg

NEIPA I’m at 10-20% in boil 8 mins to FO 40-45% whirlpool 150 and 40-45% dryhop 3 days until keg

I've really been thinking that more is not better lately. Ive generally been in the 16 oz. per 5 gallon batch range, and have occasionally gone higher than that. (NEIPA)

I always think about going in the 10-12 oz. range but then when it comes time to actually brew I get heavy handed...it's like a mental block that I can't get past.

Interestingly enough there is a thread on another forum, where the head brewer from Weldwerks shares a recipe that he claims is exactly the same one they use in their brewery for juicy bits...a highly respected commercial NEIPA..scaled down to a five gallon batch. The total hop usage is 9.12 ounces split between FWH, whirlpool, and dryhop. He also claims that (3.53 lb./bbl) is right in the range of most commercial neipas, if not slightly higher.

He also goes on to say that in their DDH version, they double the dry hop amount to bring it to 10 ounces, and a total of 14.12 ounces per 5 gallon batch.

The regular version is about .5 oz FWH, 3.5 oz WP, 5 oz DH.

I've really been thinking that more is not better lately. Ive generally been in the 16 oz. per 5 gallon batch range, and have occasionally gone higher than that. (NEIPA)

I always think about going in the 10-12 oz. range but then when it comes time to actually brew I get heavy handed...it's like a mental block that I can't get past.

Interestingly enough there is a thread on another forum, where the head brewer from Weldwerks shares a recipe that he claims is exactly the same one they use in their brewery for juicy bits...a highly respected commercial NEIPA..scaled down to a five gallon batch. The total hop usage is 9.12 ounces split between FWH, whirlpool, and dryhop. He also claims that (3.53 lb./bbl) is right in the range of most commercial neipas, if not slightly higher.

He also goes on to say that in their DDH version, they double the dry hop amount to bring it to 10 ounces, and a total of 14.12 ounces per 5 gallon batch.

The regular version is about .5 oz FWH, 3.5 oz WP, 5 oz DH.
Yeah I agree with all those number. Sloop brewing claims the same thing that they are right around 9 oz when you scale it down for 5gal batch. But you have to take in account for the increase hop utilization commercial breweries can get based on their volume. So when scaling down a recipe from a commercial brewery always add back 25-30% of hops to account for it.

Yeah I agree with all those number. Sloop brewing claims the same thing that they are right around 9 oz when you scale it down for 5gal batch. But you have to take in account for the increase hop utilization commercial breweries can get based on their volume. So when scaling down a recipe from a commercial brewery always add back 25-30% of hops to account for it.

Agreed. He doesn't go as far as to say add 25-30%, even though this is a good suggestion, but he does point out that there are a number of variables that don't necessarily directly translate from a commercial brewery to a homebrew set up. As we all know. Going to shoot for 12 oz in my next batch.

For whatever it's worth a few of the most recent other half 5 year anniversary beers were hopped at 8lbs/bbl..which equates to about 20.5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. Include the superior utilization they get versus a homebrew scale and that is a ton of hops. They were delicious.

I've been thinking about this lately and I think the double, triple, quadruple dry hopped beers are more of a marketing thing. I agree that at a certain point you're not going to get more aroma regardless of how much you add but I also think that more hops add more oil that contribute to mouthfeel and general hop flavor depth.

Back