Bells 2 hearted clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
I Did a search and there is a couple different versions gonig around.

Can anyone provide a recent clone of this brew.. An extract batch. 5 Gall boil would be ideal but I can convert if need be.

Also, if no extract batches are available i will try to convert the AG recipe.

BrooZer said:
I Did a search and there is a couple different versions gonig around.

Can anyone provide a recent clone of this brew.. An extract batch. 5 Gall boil would be ideal but I can convert if need be.

Also, if no extract batches are available i will try to convert the AG recipe.

I've brewed both AHS and NB's kits for this and I can say I liked AHB's extract kit better. Their recipe is..

.5lb Munich
.5 Crystal 20
.5 CaraPils

7.5 lb pale extract

1.5 oz Centennial 60
1 oz Centennial 15
.5 oz Centennial 5 min

.5oz Centennial Dry hopped for 7-14 days

Wyeast 1056 or WLP001

Makes a pretty tasty brew for sure. All the AHS kits rock!

We did the AHS clone as well, though we had some hop substitutions, with all of the Centennial except for 1 oz at 60 minutes being switched to amarillo. It was good, but the aroma was a bit off from the real thing.

It was also our first brew, so the differences may have been due to problems on our end.

Still a great beer, though. :)

hey so whats the time/temp for them there grains you have listed....? Thanks. mmm thinking about 2 hearted is making me happy and thirsty. Hopefully I can find hops to make it!

BrooZer said:
Do you know the boil volume? I do ful boils and would like to adjust the hops accordingly if that recipe is set for 2.5 - 3 gall boil.

The recipe is for all-grain, which of course is a full boil. The hopping would remain the same.

I made one from Austin Home Brew's extract kit and it's about as close as you can get. I try to keep 2 Hearted constantly going as my old stand-by beer.

YooperBrew said:
The recipe is for all-grain, which of course is a full boil. The hopping would remain the same.

Awesome, Is it right to assume that breiss light DME will replace the marris malt?

BrooZer said:
Do you know the boil volume? I do ful boils and would like to adjust the hops accordingly if that recipe is set for 2.5 - 3 gall boil.
Sorry, I've just noticed you're after an extract recipe. That recipe is for a 5 gallon batch, and is AG, as Yooper says.

my first batch was a 2 hearted clone.

I followed this recipe http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=128

considering it was my first batch, it came out great. I was able to get my hands on a 6 pack of the real stuff for comparison purposes and while the commercial version was lighter, the malt characteristics were very close. My brew wasnt as hoppy as the real stuff though. it needed more aroma and more bittering so take that into consideration when brewing.

ohiodad said:
I've brewed both AHS and NB's kits for this and I can say I liked AHB's extract kit better. Their recipe is..

.5lb Munich
.5 Crystal 20
.5 CaraPils

7.5 lb pale extract

1.5 oz Centennial 60
1 oz Centennial 15
.5 oz Centennial 5 min

.5oz Centennial Dry hopped for 7-14 days

Wyeast 1056 or WLP001

Makes a pretty tasty brew for sure. All the AHS kits rock!

Did you use that recipe with a 5 gallon boil?

A friend of mine was on this quest. I wonder if he ever got it right. I'll ask him. He loves that stuff, and his IPA is even better (IMHO) than Bells, so I don't know what he is after.

Homercidal said:
A friend of mine was on this quest. I wonder if he ever got it right. I'll ask him. He loves that stuff, and his IPA is even better (IMHO) than Bells, so I don't know what he is after.

I look forward to finding ouT!!

BrooZer said:
Did you use that recipe with a 5 gallon boil?

AHS kits are designed for a 2.5 gallon boil. I would suggest cutting your bittering hops by 1/4 to 1/2 for a full boil.

To answer my own question from AHS

Yes, our recipe kits are written for 2.5 gallon boil. You can do a 5 gallon full boil if you choose, just reduce the bittering hops by 1/4 oz to adjust for the hop utilization of the full boil.

.5lb Munich
.5 Crystal 20
.5 CaraPils

For this recipe, are these elements places in the grain bag and steeped before the liquid extract is added? I want to try this but want to try to collect the ingredients on my own. Thanks!

I'm brewing this today but I picked up 2 bags of carapils and forget the munich. I'll just make up the missing Munich with equal parts Crystal and CaraPils. I'm sure it'll taste good, maybe not quite like 2 hearted, but good nonetheless.

Brewed an extract version of this on Monday and woke up Tuesday to an airlock full of hops! I went to pull the airlock out and as soon as I touched it, it shot into my hand. Probably the only reason it hadn't blown was because it was a brand new lid. Luckily it didn't gush any krausen, just sweet hoppy CO2. Rigged up a blowoff tube before work. I'm excited about this one. I have an ounce of Centennial waiting in the wings for dry hopping.

What yeast did you use? So many different opinions on the yeast, aside from harvesting...

I brewed the recipe from a past Zymurgy and it turned out very nice. I had a 6pk of Bell's Two Hearted Ale to compare and was pleasantly surprised. It uses WLP001

Hi everyone- new here. I'm brewing a quick and simple version of this currently and thought i would chime in.

6# light DME
2# Vienna
1# Carapils
5 oz. Centennial
1 oz. @ 60-15-10-5 and 1 oz. dry hop

I took out the half pound of crystal and replaced with carapils because Im expecting a drier less residual sugar content and fuller backbone by doing this.

I'm fermenting this with US-05 yeast @ 70 deg F

Does anyone think I have miscalculated or misjudged anything in this recipe? -Thx

Back