Belgium Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there are any Belgians who live near Brussels (and will be in town during early August), I could use a favor. PM me for details. There can be beer, cash, ZJs, or other compensation in it for you.

How very mysterious.
Not really, I just have stuff I'd like someone to hold for me. The guy currently doing it will be out of the country before I get in. I was going to have it shipped to my friend in France but that's making me nervous.

Anyone have experience with kids in Belgium? Specifically in pubs/bars? I know in other European countries I've travelled it's not an issue, (Ireland comes to mind) but I don't want to take my kid into a place and get dirty looks/asked to leave. Of course, I'd only be taking my kid into places fairly early. (Dinner time at the latest)

Thanks!

Anyone have experience with kids in Belgium? Specifically in pubs/bars? I know in other European countries I've travelled it's not an issue, (Ireland comes to mind) but I don't want to take my kid into a place and get dirty looks/asked to leave. Of course, I'd only be taking my kid into places fairly early. (Dinner time at the latest)

Thanks!
De Heeren has a bouncy house.

My kid isn't walking yet, but can I jump around in it?
Dunno, I didn't try.

Anyway, I don't have kids so I never really paid attention, but my guess is that as long as they're well behaved you'd have a hard time finding a place that would turn you away for having them. Especially if you only have an infant.

Dunno, I didn't try.

Anyway, I don't have kids so I never really paid attention, but my guess is that as long as they're well behaved you'd have a hard time finding a place that would turn you away for having them. Especially if you only have an infant.

Wasn't serious about the jump house. ;)

Kind of assuming the kid shouldn't be a problem, just wondering if anyone has insight. She's very well behaved too.

My wife and I were all over in Belgium but without our boys. That said, most places we were in had couples with kids. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

Cheers!

Yeah, I was in Belgium a few weeks before bottles were released and heard about a cask at Moeder, but it was gone before I got there. It's hard to find, man.

First time reading this thread so digging up an old post but it's relevant - if only to gloat.

We were there as part of a BeerCycling trip last year and JVR was kind enough to give us a taste from the barrel 8 days after the Apricots were added.

As cask as it gets.

Suggestions for the best way to get to De Heeren from Grand Place? I really want to go but probably wont be able to if it's going to be some crazy expedition.

Suggestions for the best way to get to De Heeren from Grand Place? I really want to go but probably wont be able to if it's going to be some crazy expedition.
I've never done it but there's a train stop that's like a mile from the restaurant. Google can probably tell you the deets.

Planning to spend the weekend of August 16-17th in Belgium. Send a BM if you want to hang out and share some beers together :D

might be in brussels for zwanze. any one have an idea when fou foune will be released. i know it's around end of september or beginning of october

might be in brussels for zwanze. any one have an idea when fou foune will be released. i know it's around end of september or beginning of october
Apparently they started filling bottles of Fou today:
UU03Duc.jpg

It's really anyone's guess when it'll come out. I just missed it being there in late September last year, which IIRC would've been in time in 2012. So who knows?

flexabull, even if you're late for it at Cantillon you may be able to find it at a store.

Is there any reliable way to know what bottles/glassware Cantillon will have for sale any given day? I've been given the impression that they kind of just throw things on the shelves on a day to day basis and that it can be hit or miss with the exception of special releases and the usual shelf loons. There's a sporadically updated thread on the other site but other than that I haven't found too much reliable info. I'll be there in mid-September so I'm just curious as to what I should expect.

Also, fingers crossed for an early Fou' release this year!!

I'll be in Brussels on 9.17, maybe Fou is left over? Either way, can't wait to visit Moeder Lambic and Cantillon, plus all the other sites. Can anyone recommend a good spot to grab lunch? Seems all the famous beer places are pretty focused on JUST beer. Also if anyone is going to be there and wants to hang for a bit or trade or whatever, get at me.

I'll be in Brussels on 9.17, maybe Fou is left over? Either way, can't wait to visit Moeder Lambic and Cantillon, plus all the other sites. Can anyone recommend a good spot to grab lunch? Seems all the famous beer places are pretty focused on JUST beer. Also if anyone is going to be there and wants to hang for a bit or trade or whatever, get at me.

I recommend Nüetnigenough for lunch - good (but not amazing) beer selection, but excellent food/pairings. It was a really memorable meal for me. I had the Rochefort stew paired with De la Senne Zwarte Piet, and cherry pie paired with a Hanssens Kriek. Prices are a bit high but more than fair.

so 3F appears to not be open except on Fridays/Saturdays - any idea if there are ever exceptions to this?

The store isn't open but the restaurant is open all week as far as I know. You can't buy stuff but the restaurant, at least when I was there, had a bunch of cool vintage bottles to drink.

Anyone know what 3F usually has/will have for sale during Open Beer Days?
Last year it was 2008 OGV 750's and 2005 OGV 375's. There may have been some other stuff but I think that was the main thing. I'm really interested in what's available this year, but haven't heard yet.

Last year it was 2008 OGV 750's and 2005 OGV 375's. There may have been some other stuff but I think that was the main thing. I'm really interested in what's available this year, but haven't heard yet.

Cool thanks. Wasn't sure if they had pre-2002 one-offs, seasons, Hommage/Framboos, etc. for sale but it sounds like that's wishful thinking. Hopefully there's a new batch of OGV this year!

Cool thanks. Wasn't sure if they had pre-2002 one-offs, seasons, Hommage/Framboos, etc. for sale but it sounds like that's wishful thinking. Hopefully there's a new batch of OGV this year!
Yeah, that's super wishful thinking. I'm hoping there's a new OGV, mostly to see if he'll be continuing the series...

Back