Belgium Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True dat.
The Akkurat casks usually last for at least a week (crazy long, tight?) - not too many crazy Lambic heads in Sweden.
Yeah, Zwanze day at Akkurat made that pretty clear. Reading the threads for the American bars afterward was lulzy, we just walked in, got a table, and ordered lambic after lambic. Akkurat is awesome.

I've got a friend traveling to Belgium for work later this week. They don't know many details but what they have told me is they're flying into Brussels and will be working in Antwerp for a couple weeks. They also know nothing about beer, but are willing to bring me back a bottle or two.

I'm hoping to make it as easy as possible for them. Is there a place in either Antwerp or Brussels that is ideal for a one stop pickup of good bottles? Also, what should be available? Is St. Lam or an LP reasonable to expect? 3F vintages? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Franch is right, though there are stores that have other things. I got a LPG at a random store in Brugge, and there was a store outside Gent that had a fantastic selection. But afaik there's not really anything in Antwerp outside of those "BELGIAN BEERS WOO!" stores that have maybe RdG and regular Gueuze.

Délices et caprices in Brussels occasionally has Cantillon/3F, and a pretty good selection of obscure Belgian microbrews. Check their RateBeer page, http://www.ratebeer.com/p/delices-et-caprices-brussels/4665/, their FaceBook page seems to be gone/down.

great great great store. best prices in grand palace and outside of cantillon itself.

bier temple has fantome tulips currently.

cantillon had loads of bottles and glassware including the iris glass.

My wife and I are going to Europe for the first time at the end of the year. Leaving Christmas night and returning January 10th. We will be in Brussels for 3 days (29th-31st). I am curious about whether or not most places will still be open.

We will be going to DhvL, Moeder Fontainas, Cantillon, Bier Circus, and Drie Fonteinen (on our way out).

Anyone have info for me?

Cheers
Ryan

My wife and I are going to Europe for the first time at the end of the year. Leaving Christmas night and returning January 10th. We will be in Brussels for 3 days (29th-31st). I am curious about whether or not most places will still be open.

We will be going to DhvL, Moeder Fontainas, Cantillon, Bier Circus, and Drie Fonteinen (on our way out).

Anyone have info for me?

Cheers
Ryan
You'll need to check with them about hours. Some places in Belgium will close for long periods of time without it being obvious (DHVL particularly). Moeder really ought to be open, the rest you'll need to check. Keep in mind that 3F's shop has butt****ing insane hours, I've actually never been to it despite having been to the restaurant twice, it's just always closed. If you want to go there you really need to plan it.

^this. It's not uncommon for shops/breweries/whathaveyou to shut down for 2-3 weeks over the holidays with little or no notice or postings. The phone is your best friend and definitely plan/call ahead.

Congrats on your trip and hopefully the weather cooperates despite the cold!

You'll need to check with them about hours. Some places in Belgium will close for long periods of time without it being obvious (DHVL particularly). Moeder really ought to be open, the rest you'll need to check. Keep in mind that 3F's shop has butt****ing insane hours, I've actually never been to it despite having been to the restaurant twice, it's just always closed. If you want to go there you really need to plan it.
Did you ask if you could go to the store? Our waitress took us over there after our meal to buy stuff and tour the cellar.

Tickets are purchased, and I'll be spending 4 or 5 days in Belgium while traveling through Europe this October.

I'd like to check out Brugge and Dinant, but I'm not sure it's necessary to stay the night there. Would a good base be Brussells, then just drive or take a train for day trips?

Tickets are purchased, and I'll be spending 4 or 5 days in Belgium while traveling through Europe this October.

I'd like to check out Brugge and Dinant, but I'm not sure it's necessary to stay the night there. Would a good base be Brussells, then just drive or take a train for day trips?
That should work fine, though in general I find European train systems perplexing and have mostly driven around. I'd also consider using Antwerp as a base instead of Brussels, depending on what you want to do (both beer- and non-beer-wise) it could end up being preferable. Brussels kinda sucks.

We went to Ghent for 2 nights and it was our favorite city in Belgium. We used Brussels as a jumping off point and we were a 20 min walk to the Midi train station.. went to brugge and Antwerp from there. PM if you have any questions!

That should work fine, though in general I find European train systems perplexing and have mostly driven around. I'd also consider using Antwerp as a base instead of Brussels, depending on what you want to do (both beer- and non-beer-wise) it could end up being preferable. Brussels kinda sucks.

Thanks, I tend to lean towards cars too, some countries I like the trains, others it just seems expensive and too much hassle.

My experiences of the entire country consists of a few hours in Brussels years ago.

We went to Ghent for 2 nights and it was our favorite city in Belgium. We used Brussels as a jumping off point and we were a 20 min walk to the Midi train station.. went to brugge and Antwerp from there. PM if you have any questions!

Will do, thanks. Ghent definitely looks like a worthy stop, and maybe a good place to set up base since it's close to Brussels and Brugge.

I'm going with people that like good beer, but it will definitely not be the main focus of the trip. Well... Maybe it will be for the Belgium portion. ;)

Dinant (the whole Ardennes valley area actually) is beautiful, recommend it...especially for a romantic stop. Brussels is pretty much a dump unless tourist traps are your thing, but it's definitely Lambic HQ. Recommend staying at least one night in Brugge/Bruges (again romantic), with maybe another in Ghent/Gent and/or Dinant since it's out of the way a smidge. Would definitely drive if you plan to visit a handful of cities. Lots of beer-centric towns, but the recommendations change a bit depending on what you are looking for.

I think I did, actually...
Do you have up-to-date info on the restaurant / retail shop hours? We are heading out there at the end of the month of Quintessance and CBC and would like to check out Drie as well.

Do you have up-to-date info on the restaurant / retail shop hours? We are heading out there at the end of the month of Quintessance and CBC and would like to check out Drie as well.
I don't. The hours are on their website, I think. But contact them ahead of time. The second time I went there the shop was supposed to be open, but there was some kind of giant street fair and so it was closed, and the restaurant had abbreviated hours (I was still able to go). Send them an e-mail with the dates you'd like to be there to ensure no conflicts.

Also, this is something you should do with basically any place that you really want to go to. Belgians apparently love closing shop on random days with little or no notice. Despite living here I've had that happen more in Belgium than I have in the US.

Don't know if we'll go there this trip, but maybe. Depends if we're in the mood to drop $1k on bottles, ha. My self control is limited when vintage lambic is available.

So jealous. I went to Quintessence in 2012 and it was one of my favorite beer events I've ever been to. CBC was incredible last year too; you know a fest is special when you're getting sick of whales and big ass barrel aged beers by the end.

Anyone been to Cantillon lately? Family is going to Europe this weekend and will be in Brussels for a day or two. Couldn't find out what is available at the shop from their website

Anyone been to Cantillon lately? Family is going to Europe this weekend and will be in Brussels for a day or two. Couldn't find out what is available at the shop from their website
It's worth going even if they don't have anything special.

Well I'm not going on the trip, just them. They don't really drink beer but had offered to bring some gifts back
Ah, I see. I think it's difficult to know ahead of time what they'll have on sale, in that case.

I'm headed to Europe in July, and I'll probably be in Belgium ~July 7-10. Thanks for all the info in this thread; I'll definitely be putting it to good use.

Any advice on packing up and shipping a box back to the US? I'll probably only do it if I find several tougher bottles, i.e. not Cantillon/3F Gueze/Kriek. But if I can find St. Lam, Vig, LPs, or rare, I'm thinking it'd be worth to ship a box back. (I can't do a suitcase, as this trip has 3 post-Belgium weeks, and I really cannot afford to lug around extra heavy suitcase, especially when staying in hostels and such!)

I'm headed to Europe in July, and I'll probably be in Belgium ~July 7-10. Thanks for all the info in this thread; I'll definitely be putting it to good use.

Any advice on packing up and shipping a box back to the US? I'll probably only do it if I find several tougher bottles, i.e. not Cantillon/3F Gueze/Kriek. But if I can find St. Lam, Vig, LPs, or rare, I'm thinking it'd be worth to ship a box back. (I can't do a suitcase, as this trip has 3 post-Belgium weeks, and I really cannot afford to lug around extra heavy suitcase, especially when staying in hostels and such!)
I believe from looking into it that it's just much cheaper to check an extra than to ship. If you have to ship then I actually can't help you, but I imagine it'll be as easy as finding a bpost location.

I believe from looking into it that it's just much cheaper to check an extra than to ship. If you have to ship then I actually can't help you, but I imagine it'll be as easy as finding a bpost location.

Yeah checking an extra bag is like $35-40. Shipping is...not that cheap

Depends on your carrier, I've seen more like 50-70. Shipping will be significantly more, beer sites charge like 70 Euro, and presumably doing it on your dime is going to be even worse.

Plus shipping is going to be riskier.

Shipping is doable though keep in mind that styro shippers AFAIK are unavailable in Belgium, as in most European countries. A friend in Brussels who has shipped stuff to me also had a hard time even finding bubble wrap (he eventually found it in a moving supply store in an industrial estate, but he may just have been clueless). Shipping 12 bottles to the US will likely run you $75-100. Don't forget to tick "cadeau" on the customs form... ;-)

Shipping is doable though keep in mind that styro shippers AFAIK are unavailable in Belgium, as in most European countries. A friend in Brussels who has shipped stuff to me also had a hard time even finding bubble wrap (he eventually found it in a moving supply store in an industrial estate, but he may just have been clueless). Shipping 12 bottles to the US will likely run you $75-100. Don't forget to tick "cadeau" on the customs form... ;-)
If OP goes to Grote Dorst he might be able to get one from Yves. If you're not shipping and just want to pick up something to carry the beer in those plastic 12-bottle crates are everywhere and someone will sell you one.

Bluecane, let me know if you want shipping advice. I ship 60-120 kilos twice a year via BPost. If your'e doing large volume, it's the only way to do it. There are some tricks as well.

Best advice is to befriend someone who is dialed into the beer scene in belgium early on and they can help you stock some shipping materials and such. Bring them american beers + cash as a thank you. drop me a PM if you want some help.

My first bag is free, but my second bag is $100 traveling internationally with United Airlines. So, that's a lotta $$. I'm leaning toward it being too stressful and just drinking all the lambic I can while in Belgium/Amsterdam, but I'll give it more thought.

Bluecane, let me know if you want shipping advice. I ship 60-120 kilos twice a year via BPost. If your'e doing large volume, it's the only way to do it. There are some tricks as well.

Best advice is to befriend someone who is dialed into the beer scene in belgium early on and they can help you stock some shipping materials and such. Bring them american beers + cash as a thank you. drop me a PM if you want some help.
This is great advice, although it might be a bit much for me. Quick math is that's 50-100 bottles, which is probably out of my budget? I certainly can't afford $1,000 on bottles right now.

My wife and I are traveling to Europe in the fall and I was checking into shipping options and most of them either A. scare me or B. cost a ton. USPS is over $100 for shipping but you never know what will happen through customs. UPS and FedEx are way worse at around $200-$300 to ship even a small box of 12 bottles. I plan to bring an extra bag and just load it with as much lambic as possible and pay the additional baggage fees. I think it is cheaper and less risky than shipping internationally. Looking forward to our trip in Dec./Jan.

I shipped like 4 boxes back via BPost when I went (was heading back to Saudi Arabia for work so couldn't bring alcohol with me) and it worked fine. It wasn't exactly cheap but I have no regrets. I picked up my packing materials from an AVA Papierwaren store (like a Belgian Staples); I think I had one bottle break (a Westy 12 if I recall correctly) but everything else made it.

Back