Belgium Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gf and I are going to be in Belgium from May 2 to May 7. We're still dicing up our exact days, but will be staying in Brussels and will do at least a day trip to Bruges.

I have a lot of recs from friends, but I want to be thorough so if anybody has ANY recs for anything they feel I should see, please share.

My gf and I are going to be in Belgium from May 2 to May 7. We're still dicing up our exact days, but will be staying in Brussels and will do at least a day trip to Bruges.

I have a lot of recs from friends, but I want to be thorough so if anybody has ANY recs for anything they feel I should see, please share.
Probably perfect time for Hallerbos!!!

Also Ghent is great.
What kind of recs?

Probably perfect time for Hallerbos!!!

Also Ghent is great.
What kind of recs?

Truly any suggestions regarding anything that you feel should be seen/done. I probably have enough brewery/blenderies, but best hole in the wall restaurants and bars, best higher end restaurants, and any touristy stuff that is actually fun.

Hallerbos does look beautiful, and we were talking about finding a day for a hike, so the fact that it was the first thing you suggested tells me we should make it a priority.

EDIT: Also, I don't have the bandwidth or baller lambic guy status to keep up with and be hip to this stuff, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are Bokkereyder bottles still impossible to come by, or is there somewhere in particular that may have something if I get lucky?

Last edited:
Going to be in Brussels Sept 28th-Oct 1st. Really hoping they announce Zwanze day for the 28th. Worst case if it's not happening then we'll be driving to 3F.

Any thing worth knowing about Zwanze day besides unique taps and hanging out with lambic loving drinkers?

I didn't know if Cantillon will be open that day for any sales or not as well.

Going to be in Brussels Sept 28th-Oct 1st. Really hoping they announce Zwanze day for the 28th. Worst case if it's not happening then we'll be driving to 3F.

Any thing worth knowing about Zwanze day besides unique taps and hanging out with lambic loving drinkers?

I didn't know if Cantillon will be open that day for any sales or not as well.
IIRC, Zwanze at both Moeder Lambic locations is ticketed and purchased in person.

Someone got one for me before, but not sure if that was an official proxy situation.

Do what the millennial do and post to their fb or insta page, assuming they do that.

A bottle of it isn't too much of a concern for me than more of just hanging out and trying the taps. I would like to stock up on the year round bottles at Cantillion which I assume I could just go that Monday if they don't clear out of inventory.

In the states its a ticket to the event but didn't know if it was different at Moeder etc.

I'll have to check out and see if there's any groups on the fb or insta.

Thank you for the info!

A bottle of it isn't too much of a concern for me than more of just hanging out and trying the taps. I would like to stock up on the year round bottles at Cantillion which I assume I could just go that Monday if they don't clear out of inventory.

In the states its a ticket to the event but didn't know if it was different at Moeder etc.

I'll have to check out and see if there's any groups on the fb or insta.

Thank you for the info!
Pretty sure you won't score a bottle of this year's Zwanze to go, but you'll likely be able to try a bunch of it and perhaps previous years if you go to ML with a ticket.

Yeah, bottles are not for sale to go. A few get out here and there, usually as gifts.
The ticket is for trying Zwanze and whole bunch of other great beers, as GetchaPull said.

fwYB5EJ.png

And yeah the taplist is usually pretty good

You can probably find it by scrolling back through Moeder's timeline or by looking up the event, I'm on mobile and it sucks to go back that far right now

looks like they had pre sale tickets and they sold out the same day. Just can't tell how quickly because there's no time stamp besides the date but no time.

Are you going for the Toer de Gueuze or is it just dumb luck that you'll be there then? If the latter, then I highly suggest checking out the Toer. We went two years ago and had such a great time we're going back for it this year. (It's only held every two years.)

Are you going for the Toer de Gueuze or is it just dumb luck that you'll be there then? If the latter, then I highly suggest checking out the Toer. We went two years ago and had such a great time we're going back for it this year. (It's only held every two years.)

It was dumb luck that we booked a flight to be there during the TdG, but we actually bought tickets for the bus and everything a few months ago. My gf found a decent deal on airfare, so just went for it, and like 2 days later while doing some research saw the info for TdG and just booked it right away. I was then and am now very excited.

Brussels was a lot of fun. I ate my body weight in cheese, and will be pissing at least trace amounts of lambic for probably the next month. My credit card company probably thinks I'm now a minority shareholder in Moeder Lambic, but I don't regret a single €. Truly a bucket list trip.

Anyway, thanks to this thread for the suggestions. Hopefully I will make it back again soon.

Back