Belgium Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know of a good breakfast spot in the Manneken Pis area? Also ISO chocolate recs. It's probably been handled in this thread before but I can't seem to find it.
Not exactly Mannekin Apis area, but a few minutes walk is Peck 47. I’ve had breakfast/lunch there at least half a dozen times and am always happy with.

I really liked Galler last time I was there. Marcoloni was great quality, but somewhat sterile for me. A chocolate that's perfectly made with black tea is neat to try, but not as delicious as a well made truffle in my book.

Thanks guys! I'll probably do a mini chocolate tour and check out all of those places. Peck 47 looks great, not super close but I think I'll survive a few minutes walk :)

Anyone have any good recommendations for places to buy bread and cheese near Cantillon? Would like to buy some to take to Cantillon to pair with the lambics. Yes, I know they sell some cheese there. I was more looking for a little more variety plus some good bread :)

While I didn’t get a chance to try it out when I was there this past fall as they were closed, a local had recommended La Fruitiere. It’s pretty much right next to Moeder Lambic and looks fantastic.

While I didn’t get a chance to try it out when I was there this past fall as they were closed, a local had recommended La Fruitiere. It’s pretty much right next to Moeder Lambic and looks fantastic.
Yeah, I was thinking that place as well. They're hosting a beer and cheese pairing event after Quintessence so maybe it's the best place to go. I was wondering if there were other places closer to Cantillon.

Yeah, I was thinking that place as well. They're hosting a beer and cheese pairing event after Quintessence so maybe it's the best place to go. I was wondering if there were other places closer to Cantillon.
That place is 2 tram stops and a 5min walk away from cantillon, pretty easy.
Near cantillon you have mostly Moroccan and Lebanese places (which are cheap and delicious FYI), but I’m not sure if a cheese shop nearby, some small markets, but not a cheese shop.

Anyone have any good recommendations for places to buy bread and cheese near Cantillon? Would like to buy some to take to Cantillon to pair with the lambics. Yes, I know they sell some cheese there. I was more looking for a little more variety plus some good bread :)
There was a great place near my B&B when I was there but it was over by St. Catherine.

Or take the Metro to Annessens, it’s a very short distance. The walk is nice though, and it pays to walk off some of the lambic.
I've done that walk a few times a never thought of it as "nice." It's not long though, for sure.

I've done that walk a few times a never thought of it as "nice." It's not long though, for sure.

You should come visit San Francisco. Brussels felt cleaner and safer. Boulevard Maurice Lemonier is a bit run down, sure, but you’re not stepping over discarded needles, human poop, and a crackhead trying to finesse you out of anything you got.

You should come visit San Francisco. Brussels felt cleaner and safer. Boulevard Maurice Lemonier is a bit run down, sure, but you’re not stepping over discarded needles, human poop, and a crackhead trying to finesse you out of anything you got.
I live in the bay area, so up in the city relatively often. Much like I wouldn't consider waking to Cellarmaker or Mikkeller from BART or Caltrain nice, I wouldn't consider waking from Moeder to Cantillon nice

I live in the bay area, so up in the city relatively often. Much like I wouldn't consider waking to Cellarmaker or Mikkeller from BART or Caltrain nice, I wouldn't consider waking from Moeder to Cantillon nice

That’s fair. Nice wasn’t the best word to use. Doable or reasonable would have been more fitting.

well crave something...

tTc9cKQ.gif

IN.

I did a little more research on Brussels cheese spots and found another place about 15 min walk from Cantillon called Saint Octave. Looks really good. They also have an Instagram account that will make you crave some cheese....if you're into that type of stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/saint_octave/

You can also check out "La Boucherie" which is like one block down from Cantillon. I would pop in there for sandwhiches last week and loved it. I saw they had a variety of stuff so they might have 2-3 cheeses on hand. I know they have bread and meats so worst case it won't be a total loss... Also La Fruitiere? **** YEAH!!! That place is bangin' they have some great beer too on top of the cheese and meats. I had a great french Saison there from La Franche aptly named "Saison!"

Calling out anyone who will be traveling between London and Brussels via Eurostar over the next month or so. I was reading about the rolling train strikes in France and how Eurostar is being affected, but the articles seem to only mention the London to Paris line and not the London to Brussels (or Amsterdam) lines. I understand that these rolling strikes wont affect everyone, but if anyone does come up against this problem over the next month Id appreciate reading your experience and how you dealt with it. Just a wee bit nervous now.

Calling out anyone who will be traveling between London and Brussels via Eurostar over the next month or so. I was reading about the rolling train strikes in France and how Eurostar is being affected, but the articles seem to only mention the London to Paris line and not the London to Brussels (or Amsterdam) lines. I understand that these rolling strikes wont affect everyone, but if anyone does come up against this problem over the next month Id appreciate reading your experience and how you dealt with it. Just a wee bit nervous now.

Yikes. Planned to travel from Brussels to London on 5/4 and then back on 5/8, so I need to read about this. And will report back if I have anything useful to provide after my trip.

Anyone have any recommendations on where in Brussles is best to drink De La Senne? I see that Moeder no longer serves their beer :( Just trying to throw down pints of Taras Boulba for cheap. Also, anyone have thoughts on visiting De La Senne if it is only my friend and I. I know they only do tours for larger groups and its not really a tasting room so not sure if it is worth it for us to visit.

Anyone have any recommendations on where in Brussles is best to drink De La Senne? I see that Moeder no longer serves their beer :( Just trying to throw down pints of Taras Boulba for cheap. Also, anyone have thoughts on visiting De La Senne if it is only my friend and I. I know they only do tours for larger groups and its not really a tasting room so not sure if it is worth it for us to visit.

Drink at De La Senne! It’s a blast and the people are awesome. Careful of times as they are closed some of the coming days due to festivals and such.

Nuetigenough has dls, so do many other bars.

Have a shipping question about the styrofoam shippers from lazenne. Has anyone used the styrofoam 12 shipper that comes in (what looks to be a thin or decorative) a cardboard box? I’d like to avoid buying another suitcase shipper. I’m planning on having the shipper delivered to my hotel for my next trip and use it without a suitcase. Is this a recipe for disaster?

Have a shipping question about the styrofoam shippers from lazenne. Has anyone used the styrofoam 12 shipper that comes in (what looks to be a thin or decorative) a cardboard box? I’d like to avoid buying another suitcase shipper. I’m planning on having the shipper delivered to my hotel for my next trip and use it without a suitcase. Is this a recipe for disaster?
I've done that several times and it works great. Just lugged two similar boxes from SFO-BRU-CPH-SFO (that had previously been shipped to me in the bay) and they held up great. Just don't forget a) they're awkward to move around and b) to bring shipping tape.

Wife and I are on the red eye to Brussels tonight /tomorrow morning. Let me known if you’d like to meet up at Grote tomorrow. Will also be in Bruge and Gent during the week if anyone is around.
If you stop at tierenteyn verlant in gent and want to grab me a 500mL or so of mustard I am very interested.

Back