Belgium Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be in Brussels on Tuesday and Wednesday if anyone wants to drink some beers. I think Cantillon is closed on Wednesdays but I'll be there on Tuesday for sure.

Quick question, as I'll be visiting Belgium again in mid-December and hope to hit a few spots I didn't make it to last time. I've seen a lot of people mentioning emailing Joost at DHVL before going. I'm wondering if that's a necessity to visit, or if I'll be able to simply drop in.

Quick question, as I'll be visiting Belgium again in mid-December and hope to hit a few spots I didn't make it to last time. I've seen a lot of people mentioning emailing Joost at DHVL before going. I'm wondering if that's a necessity to visit, or if I'll be able to simply drop in.

You can drop in. If you are able to make a reservation its highly recommended, as it does get busy, but as long as they are open and its not too booked/crowded you should be able to drop in.

Sorry guys I can't make it then :(
oTZs4a5.gif

Fill me in, what's the plan?
steinbbr will be in town for Cantillon Open Day and wants to visit Tilquin the day prior...Friday, 10 November. Pierre's requirement is 10 people to open on an "off" day, so we're trying to get to 10 people. So far, it looks like we are at 6 and need at least 4 more. To my knowledge, no agreed upon time yet if we get to 10.

steinbbr will be in town for Cantillon Open Day and wants to visit Tilquin the day prior...Friday, 10 November. Pierre's requirement is 10 people to open on an "off" day, so we're trying to get to 10 people. So far, it looks like we are at 6 and need at least 4 more. To my knowledge, no agreed upon time yet if we get to 10.
Sounds cool. The 10th is the day after my last exam this period so that would work but it's still pretty far away, I'll try to make it work.

Nice summary :D and as far as timing goes I'm flexible with whatever works for the group or Pierr's availability.

Went to 3F and the table next to myself was able to purchase Zenne and Hommage to go. When I asked about it as well, I was told that it was not an option. I should have held my expectations in check, but it was still a little disappointing.

Went to 3F and the table next to myself was able to purchase Zenne and Hommage to go. When I asked about it as well, I was told that it was not an option. I should have held my expectations in check, but it was still a little disappointing.

tenor.gif

Understand the disappointment, but one has to realize that brewers/owners of breweries have friends. This happens everywhere.

Anyone know what Drie has for bottles to go right now? Will be there next weekend, can't wait!

I just wanted to chime in and thank the contributors of this thread and those that answered my questions, as I had a wonderful first visit to Belgium and Amsterdam.

I have little new information to contribute, but would be happy to pay it forward should any first timers want to look at my itinerary or ask some questions.

A couple of minor points: of the three cities I visited in Belgium (Antwerp, Brussels and Ghent), Ghent was my favorite by a long shot. Next time I'd probably just stay there for the duration of my trip. Second, I made it a point to visit Cantillon twice and the L-o-D once; next time I'd probably prioritize 3F, as that was the highlight of our trip beer-wise. Incredible service, a fun impromptu tour, and a hell of an on-site drinking list. Honestly, with what's generally available at both breweries, I made no effort to stray from the beaten path to try and tick "rarer" stuff offered at the restaurants/bars commonly recommended. Oh, and Amsterdam is probably the prettiest city I've ever visited; I think that the amount of walking we did there negated the amount of cheese/bread/waffles/fries/beer I consumed while in Europe!

I think that the amount of walking we did there negated the amount of cheese/bread/waffles/fries/beer I consumed while in Europe!

Haha, I feel the same way about every Euro trip I've taken; I eat and drink non stop but some how come home weighing less.

I just wanted to chime in and thank the contributors of this thread and those that answered my questions, as I had a wonderful first visit to Belgium and Amsterdam.

I have little new information to contribute, but would be happy to pay it forward should any first timers want to look at my itinerary or ask some questions.

A couple of minor points: of the three cities I visited in Belgium (Antwerp, Brussels and Ghent), Ghent was my favorite by a long shot. Next time I'd probably just stay there for the duration of my trip. Second, I made it a point to visit Cantillon twice and the L-o-D once; next time I'd probably prioritize 3F, as that was the highlight of our trip beer-wise. Incredible service, a fun impromptu tour, and a hell of an on-site drinking list. Honestly, with what's generally available at both breweries, I made no effort to stray from the beaten path to try and tick "rarer" stuff offered at the restaurants/bars commonly recommended. Oh, and Amsterdam is probably the prettiest city I've ever visited; I think that the amount of walking we did there negated the amount of cheese/bread/waffles/fries/beer I consumed while in Europe!

Ghent was absolutely lovely, I'll second almost all sentiments...except for a slight preference for Antwerp :)

On the trip I took to Europe in May-June last year my phone said we walked over two hundred miles in twenty-eight days. I'm not sure I believe we walked over 40 miles in five days in Paris when I was taking the Métro a ton as well. Although, when I'm working as a restaurant server, I can easily walk 5-10+ miles a shift (which is typically four to seven hours).

Hm ****. My friend can't make it that early. How terribly is he needed to hit the 10 people limit?

Long time lambic lover booking my flight for my first trip to Brussels today. Going in April for night of great thirst and hopefully quintessence. Are there any guesses for when quintessence is? My wife was there 10 years ago so we have some stuff figured out but any suggestions/ tips for the trip would be greatly appreciated. Reading through thread now.

Long time lambic lover booking my flight for my first trip to Brussels today. Going in April for night of great thirst and hopefully quintessence. Are there any guesses for when quintessence is? My wife was there 10 years ago so we have some stuff figured out but any suggestions/ tips for the trip would be greatly appreciated. Reading through thread now.
It's in the belgiansmaak podcast with Jean, I wanna say the first of May?

Back