Belgium Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooklynTom

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am picking up tonight at KelSo Brewing in Brooklyn NY, a 5gal batch of un-hopped wort. the grain bill is:

85.3% Bohemian Pilsner
5.3% Cara Munich 60
2.7% Flaked Barley
2.7% Melanoidin
2.7% Dark Munich
1.3% Chocolate

They use this to make a nut brown lager. They are asking that we experiment with hops and yeast and see what we can come up with.
My question is, What hops and yeast would work well with this wort?
I am thinking about a Belgium brown.

for a BelgIAN dark ale, really any belgian yeast will do the trick. Noble hops would be traditional. You can really do whatever you want. The yeast is the key factor. If its unhopped though, I would get that thing inoculated ASAP

So this is unboiled wort? Did they give you the OG and are you allowed to add any sugars? If so some dark candi syrup would be nice, then like m00ps said use the Belgian yeast of your choice (WL 500/530/550 or Wyeast 1214/3787/3522 for example). Noble or noble-like hops as mentioned, just a bittering addition then maybe a small 5-10 min addition. I agree though, you definitely don't want to leave that wort sitting around.

Thanks you guys for the input. I was just informed that they changed the Grain Bill.
The new one is much different. More of an IPA.

90% Golden Promise
5% Carastan 13-17
5% Special Aromatic
O.G. 1.060

I guess I will use WY3711
and Mosaic @ 60min
El Dorado @20min
Mosaic @ 5min

I might also add the zest of some limes in the secondary, to make a lime sassion. I will have to think about it.

Back