Belgium Blonde for my second brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
So my first batch (an amber ale) is fermenting and i was trying to think of what to brew next. Reading around on here a Belgium Blone Ale sounds really good, but is it hard, and does anyone know a good extract recipe?

Check out Biermuncher's swmbo slayer.

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.6 %
0.50 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4.8 %
5.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 47.6 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Belgians are pretty easy. A couple of important notes:

- Use a Belgian yeast. Don't expect to use an English yeast to get a Belgian beer.
- Allow it to get warm versus keeping regular yeasts below 70. No need to try and control the temperature. I usually start mine around the high 60s to low 70s and then raise the temp a couple of degrees a day up into the 80s. if you have no temp control, just let the temp rise on its own.
- Use lots of simple sugar, table sugar is fine. A good Belgian should end up dry, which is very hard to get with extract, and simple sugar will help dry the beer out. While sugar is frond upon in most beer styles, it is used a lot in Belgian beers. Don't be afraid to use up to 20% of the ingredients as simple sugar. I have gone as high as 30% in a really big beer.

Back