Belgian Yeast in a Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not done this in a porter, but I've brewed a pretty close clone of Allagash Black. I would say first and foremost that, if I were you, I'd just use the commercially available Westmalle strains (I used WLP530) to ferment. I'm very certain that's what they are using for this beer through discussions with the head brewer, Jason Perkins. At least it saves you the trouble of trying to build up yeast from bottles of beer where the yeast was stressed.

Best of luck!

I used a Belgian stout yeast strain for my Imperial Chocolate Oat Belgian Stout and it is fantastic, so yes there are strains you can use.

here's a link to it: https://www.wyeastlab.com/3rdqtrPC.cfm

As far as Belgian porter goes, in not sure if you could ferment with this strain and get a majority of typical porter qualities, but as far as dark beers go this is a great yeast.....

I used a Belgian stout yeast strain for my Imperial Chocolate Oat Belgian Stout and it is fantastic, so yes there are strains you can use.

here's a link to it: https://www.wyeastlab.com/3rdqtrPC.cfm

As far as Belgian porter goes, in not sure if you could ferment with this strain and get a majority of typical porter qualities, but as far as dark beers go this is a great yeast.....

Beersnob16,

I would suggest using some Special B instead of roasted barley and pehasps some dark Belgian candy sugar.

Srob18,

I am all aboard for your suggestion.

You recommended this yeast to me in another thread. I stopped in my LHBS and they contacted Wyeast last Monday. The yeast is not and will not be available. Do you have any bottles left to use in making a starter?

Just brewed a Brown Porter. Half got WLP002, half Wyeast's Abbey II. Works great in stouts expect it'll be good in a porter too.

Beersnob16,

I would suggest using some Special B instead of roasted barley and pehasps some dark Belgian candy sugar.

Srob18,

I am all aboard for your suggestion.

You recommended this yeast to me in another thread. I stopped in my LHBS and they contacted Wyeast last Monday. The yeast is not and will not be available. Do you have any bottles left to use in making a starter?

I have 3 Bombers left filled with the dregs i guess. i drank it pretty fast! The Abby yeast would work well by my guestimation too.

Back