Belgian yeast for wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
So I had a recipe and ingredients for an American wheat that I planned on brewing up sometime soon. This weekend, the planets aligned and I'll be able to brew both today and tomorrow, but the problem is that I already have an American wheat on tap. Since I have all the ingredients other than the yeast, I thought that maybe I could change that up and get something different going on.

My first thought was to turn it into a witbier, but then I realized that I have never had one that I actually enjoyed so that was out. Then I decided that I could possibly branch out and use a Belgian yeast, one that may be used for a dubbel or something like that.

Would this work well? If so, what white labs yeast would you recommend (all that's available at my LHBS)? I'm looking for something with more Belgian "character" than Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes, if that helps to narrow it down any.

Are there any other yeasts that you could recommend that could create something more interesting than another american wheat?

Wyeast 3864 ;)

Seriously though, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly and capture the yeast, add a little sweet orange peel to the brew (vs. bitter)

I had a really nice Belgian wit done by Goose Island (Chicago) this past summer, I'm pretty sure they used sweet orange vs. bitter (the nose was almost like those jellied orange slice candies) but the candy sweetness did not overpower in the taste.

I'm a big fan of the Unibroue yeast because it finishes so nice and dry, and can be used in a variety of different styles (it also doesn't throw a lot of wacky phenolics if you don't let the temp get too high).

(if you don't want to wait to do a yeast capture, try the Wyeast 3944, and see if you can get dried sweet orange peel, and perhaps some dried chammomile - it might give your brew a nice nose and perhaps a slightly different fruit character than American wheat beers)

wyeast 1762 might work out well or what you could do is throw some corriander in at flame out to give it a wit profile...

You may also want to try a Kolsch yeast to try an "American" version of Kolsch, as a traditional one is made with Pilsner malt.

Wyeast 3864 ;)

Seriously though, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly and capture the yeast, add a little sweet orange peel to the brew (vs. bitter)

I had a really nice Belgian wit done by Goose Island (Chicago) this past summer, I'm pretty sure they used sweet orange vs. bitter (the nose was almost like those jellied orange slice candies) but the candy sweetness did not overpower in the taste.

I'm a big fan of the Unibroue yeast because it finishes so nice and dry, and can be used in a variety of different styles (it also doesn't throw a lot of wacky phenolics if you don't let the temp get too high).

Did you like their Quelque Chose? I found it almost undrinkable...

I don't have access to either that beer or (probably) those yeasts. I'll take a look when I get to the store, but they have a limited selection of wyeast compared to white labs.

How does the kolsch yeast differ from another clean style like cali ale?

Well have you ever had an authentic Kolsch before... Reishdorff makes one that is pretty close as is Gaffel... It has this taste that I can't describe but is really unique and clean... Its just delightful... Its not belgian by any means, but it takes a a beer that is all pilsner malt and allows you to brew an ale that has many characteristics of a Lager... I just love Kolsch...:tank:

I've only had 2 kolsch before, and neither one of them was "authentic" (meaning German). It is a little intriguing though. I'll report back after I get a chance to make it to the store this afternoon.

Did you like their Quelque Chose? I found it almost undrinkable...

Hell no. Sounded like it would taste like cough syrup so I just passed.:fro:

No, what I love from Unibroue are Blanche de Chambly, Ephemere, La Fin du Monde, their "annual" brews, and the Quatre Centieme (which was brewed in 2008)

I have a similar problem. Bought a sack of wheat and have lots to use before it goes bad. Have plenty of wit so i'm going to the darker wheat side, dunkelweizen. Adding some munich, a little chocolate, and hefe yeast.

So I ended up rolling with the Trappist high gravity yeast Wyeast 3787. They stepped up their wyeast selections since I was there last, and I was able to score this pack half price because it was wayyyyyy old. So instead of brewing tomorrow, I'm going to on Thursday on my day off (perhaps a double brew day?) so that I'll have time to build up the yeast to a pitchable amount. The key factor in my decision was that I wanted a yeast that would be more tolerant of higher temps (because a swamp cooler is hard to control if you aren't at home all day) and to me, Belgian yeast just tastes better when you ferment it warmer.

I know this was ages ago ... but how did this turn out?? I want to use 3787 to make a Hef. and then after its done, pitch a triple onto the yeast cake. Basically, the hef will be like a huge started for it. Any flavour notes would be appreciated. Thanks.

I wrote a whole nice paragraph and forgot I wasnt logged in Vman!
Anyways, I have some experience using the Trappist yeast 3787, the Witbier yeast 3944 and the Hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner) strain 3068..
Please keep in mind Belgian yeasts will throw Belgian flavors, and the Hefe yeast throws a whole different set of flavors.
From my experience:
3787: You get bready, biscuity layers, some tartness, citrusy or citrus rind, some stone fruit, some slightly vinous character at times, some plum
3944: You get tartness, some citrusy tones (though usually supplemented with actual orange) a bit drier character
3068: You get bready, clovey, banana, sometimes bubblegum/vanilla

What my experience shows is that the 3787 would be best started as a Witbier or better yet a Dubbel, rather then as a Hefe. You just won't get much of the German Weizen character you want in your first beer. It will be a Belgian funky tart instead of spicy banana bread richness.. in my opinion. You could use a 3068 Hefe cake for a Weizenbock beer, or a 3944 for a Witbier to Tripel, and lastly it is possible some sort of a witbier/double with 3787 to start a Tripel.

I wrote a whole nice paragraph and forgot I wasnt logged in Vman!
Anyways, I have some experience using the Trappist yeast 3787, the Witbier yeast 3944 and the Hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner) strain 3068..
Please keep in mind Belgian yeasts will throw Belgian flavors, and the Hefe yeast throws a whoel different set of flavors.
From my experience:
3787: You get bready, biscuity layers, soem tartness, citrusy or citrus rind, some stone fruit, some slightly vinous character at times, some plum
3944: You get tartness, some citrusy tones (though usually supplemented with actual orange) a bit drier character
3068: You get bready, clovey, banana, sometimes bubblegum/vanilla

What my experience shows is that the 3787 would be best started as a Witbier or better yet a Dubbel, rather then as a Hefe. You just won't get much of the German Weizen character you want in your first beer. It will be a Belgian funky tart instead of spicy banana bread richness.. in my opinion. You could use a 3068 Hefe cake for a Weizenbock beer, or a 3944 for a Witbier to Tripel, and lastly it is possible some sort of a witbier/double with 3787 to start a Tripel.

:mug:

Thanks man. What you've described sounds perfect for my pallette. "bready, biscuity layers, soem tartness, citrusy or citrus rind, some stone fruit, some slightly vinous character." I like that citrus, sour flavour. Witbier it is and then the tripel on top. :)

Let me know how it turns out. Remember to gently crack your coriander for the Witbier, not crush. I used 20 grams in 5 gallons of Witbier and it shined through nicely; 15g on a Tripel of mine was nice.(not really typical of Tripels, like "La Fin du Mondes" trace of coriander though!) You really have to determine how fresh the coriander is. You can over do it, I would under shoot it if you are more a fan of citrus notes.

Latest posts

Back