Belgian Wheat Low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
I just checked my gravity last night after my belgian wheat has been in the primary for two and a half weeks. To my surprise, the FG was 1.007. I'm going to take one more reading tonight before I bottle (maybe I read it wrong), but what would account for a lower than expected FG? The recipe calls for a FG of 1.010-1.012. This was the first time I used a starter for my liquid yeast, wyeast 3944. Other than that, and the fact that I used coriander and dried bitter orange peel of which a small amount was transferred to the primary, my process was very similar to my previous batch which I hit the FG dead on. I'm not as concerned with the numbers as I am with the outcome of this beer, so I hope this doesn't have a drastic affect on the taste, i.e. too dry. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I don't have experience with wyeast 3944 but WLP400 (which is same strain) can dry beer out from my experience. No worries on low FG its just going to be a little dry, thats all

Temps higher will account for that some times to dry a beer out a little at the end I will let it sit at a higher temp do this in summer like alittle dryer when it's in the 90s....beer will be alright.

Thanks for the input guys. I think that the temp might have contributed to this, as it fermented at about 70 degrees F. My last ale fermented at 66-68, but obviously the weather has been getting nicer this time of year. Hope it still tastes great!

temps will influence, as will the viability of the yeast as a whole. don't forget that they give you an attenuation range for a reason. 1007 to 1011 (probably) isn't going to be very noticable.

Latest posts

Back