Belgian Triple Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabimkbrewer

Reaction score
I brew a Belgian Triple (brewer's Best) on 1-23-16 (16 days as today). Fermenting in the carboy since then. I don't see movement on the carboy or coming from the airlock, except small strip of yeast on top where the beer starts.

It has been in my basement closet on a temperature of 63 to 68 F for all this time, I read on this forum some folks suggested to bring it to a higher temperature room around 78sh-80 F after 12 plus days.

I did that, 24 hours ago, I want to know if you think is good for bottle carbonation? moving the fermented carboy to 78 could have damage this batch, should I bring it back down to basement 63-68F ?

Thanks for your help

Mk

You never saw any activity during the past 3 weeks? The little foamy yeast floating on the top is evidence something bigger happened. Maybe you missed it.

It should be done by now. Heating it a bit after most (80%) of the fermentation has completed helps to attenuate the last few points left and condition the beer, cleaning up byproducts created earlier on. So leave it at 78 for a few days is good. Take a gravity reading and another one 3 days later. Only if both are the same and they are near your expected final gravity it is safe to bottle.

Check the gravity. If it is at the kit recommendation, you are good to bottle. If it is different, leave it and check in 2 days. If stable, bottle, if lower, let it go more.

You never saw any activity during the past 3 weeks? The little foamy yeast floating on the top is evidence something bigger happened. Maybe you missed it.

It should be done by now. Heating it a bit after most (80%) of the fermentation has completed helps to attenuate the last few points left and condition the beer, cleaning up byproducts created earlier on. So leave it at 78 for a few days is good. Take a gravity reading and another one 3 days later. Only if both are the same and they are near your expected final gravity it is safe to bottle.

Thanks for the reply, I did see a lots of movement, I even had to setup a blow-off OG was 1.070 and FG was 1.010 x 131.25=7.8% - I found it a little high, but at this point it's set for carbonation.

Mk

Back