Belgian Tripel-OG too high.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre the giant

Reaction score
I never thought I'd say that I had a beer with an OG too high, but my Belgian Tripel turned out a whopping 1.103! I looked at the style guide and it suggests that a tripel should have a OG around 1.085. I used a recipe listed in BYO magazine but substituted 2 row malt instead of pilsner malt. Dya think that had anything to do with it?

I'm not worried though. I have a feeling that this beer is going to be fun to drink. It's definitely the strongest stuff I've turned out yet. I poured the starter in, and two hours later, the krausen was taking off. Four hours later, I needed a blowoff hose. The trappist yeast is definitely finding something yummy in there.

Recipe:
10lb 2 row
1.5lb Pilsner malt
2lb Vienna
3lb Belgian light candi sugar
1oz Willamette (60 min)
1oz Saaz (60min)
Irish moss
Yeast nutrient
Trappist ale yeast

Mash-in at 140, mash at 148 for 60 minutes, mash out at 168. 90 minute boil.

OG: 1.103

I guess I could call it a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. :rockin: :ban: :drunk:

OK, its 10 days later and the brew is still bubbling at the rate of a bubble every 7 seconds. Geez... There must be a lot of fermentable stuff in there. :ban: Not that bubbling is a scientific way to measure or anything.

The beer is clearing quite nicely, and its just in the primary. Maybe I'll snap some picts at lunch and post them. Tis a thing of beauty.

Back