Belgian Strong Dark Ale - Mikkeler Santa's Little Helper Clone/Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this beer over the season and wanted to get a head start on an attempt and try by Christmas. Found this post that offers/suggests some of the ingredients.

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/beers/mikkeller-santas-little-helper-2/

The notes that stood out the most for me when tasting were the smooth milk chocolate, dark candied fruits (cherry/plum/fig), spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander), thick body, and minimal booze taste.

I haven't been able to find a recipe so I threw something based on the beer's profile and style. Not used to making recipes so any criticism is greatly appreciated. I do mostly extract with grains.

Extract/Partial Recipe 5 Gallon Batch

GRAINS
Belgian Biscuit 0.5lb
Belgian Special B 0.5lb
Caramunich II 0.5lb
Pale Chocolate 0.5lb
Flaked Wheat 1lb

@155 for 30min

9lb Pilsen Light Extract Preboil
1lb Pale Candi Sugar

HOPS
16% Magnum 0.3oz @60min ~ 14.1 IBU (LBS has no Northern Brewer)
11% Hallertau 0.5oz @ 30min ~ 12.9
5% Styrian Goldings 0.5 @5min ~ 5.4

ADJUNCTS
Nutmeg 0.15oz (1/4 teaspoon) @ 10 min boil schedule
Coriander 1oz @ 10 min boil schedule
Sweet Orange Peel 0.5 @ 10 min boil schedule
Sweet Orange Peel 0.5oz Secondary
Cocoa Nibs 4oz Secondary
Cinnamon sticks x 3 Secondary

YEAST
Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong x 2 (Starter)

Estimated Calculations By BeerAlchemy
OG: 1.088
FG:1.017
ABV: 9.5%
IBU: 32.5
SRM: 20.6

I know Mikkeler makes some complex beers and based on the ingredients I've seen listed elsewhere it's a bit intimidating to come up with something that could even approach the flavors. Thoughts?

So I went with this recipe and added 1 tsp cloves and 1 tsp cinammon to 10 min boil. Fermentation has slowed down after 1 week but smells quite good after removing the airlock briefly. Look forward to tasting/racking to secondary for prolonged spicing in 1 week. Tasting will dictate amount of spicing/flavoring at secondary.

Back