Belgian saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcw203

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian saison session from Austin home brew on 4-27-12 my question is it is stuck at 1.018 and no bubbling in the airlock. I moved to a warmer room and still nothing. Do I bottle or wait?

What Yeast did you use?

A Saison should finish a lot lower than that. I have done many Saisons and they always finish low. Even extract ones that I did when I started brewing finished down at about 1.004-1.006.

It was an extract and I used safbrew t58 I had a pretty good start on it and everything. I also have a Belgian white that is stuck at 1.016 and I'm not home today but I am 99% sure that it is the same yeast.

I have not used T-58 but do brew a lot Belgians and Saisons.

One thing I have found with these yeasts is that they often take off fast and slow down, but continue to work for a long time. Let it go for a couple more weeks. Depending on what temp you are at now you may want to get the temp up to the upper end of the range. That often helps.

Here is a great quote from Brew Like a Monk.

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It can often take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it does for the first 80%."

I routinely give my Belgians a lot longer time in the fermenter than brews like IPA's etc.

T-58 won't give you the super attenuation of a true saison yeast. It's probably done if moving it to a warmer place didn't do anything.

Back