Belgian Saison Yeast...OOPS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stfudonny

Reaction score
Just started a batch of cider using Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison. Didn't notice the higher temp requirement....

My brewing area is normally 65-70. Should I add another strain? If so, what?

If not, should I just let it go longer?

That's my plan. Probably go French Saison if I need to supplement I think. The real question is when do I make that call? I'm never in a hurry, I usually wait until totally still and clear before I move to secondary--8 weeks or more.

I used a french farmhouse ale (TASTY!) and used small ceramic heater to get the temp up a bit, once fermentation got hold it became endothermic and self sustaining (1-2 days) and the yeast warmed themselves up.
12 gallon batch so it was harder (longer) to get going, but held its own heat better.

just for experimentation I did a 1/2 g "starter" and let it ferment all the way out ... :drunk: apple wine? I should have checked my OG. not a great apple flavor. Not giving up on the farmhouse yeast just yet ... one more try with frequent gravity checks. any suggestions on an ideal gravity/abv?

Back