Belgian Quad way to sweet. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok. So here's the deal. I messed up and my Belgian Quad is WAY too sweet, finished at 1.035. Started something like 1.112. It's in the bottle and carbonation is good.

So 2 questions. ...

Will the sweetness mellow out with age???
Can I mix it with something you make it drinkable? Like lemon-lime soda or something?

I did the same a few years ago. Ended up dumping all the bottles. I'd say that's the best bet for you too. Sure, you can mix it with stuff, do other things that will inevitably show up in posts below, but IMO sanity requires immediate disposal.

Dump, erase from mind, move on. That's how I maintain zen. Good luck!

Ok. So here's the deal. I messed up and my Belgian Quad is WAY too sweet, finished at 1.035. Started something like 1.112. It's in the bottle and carbonation is good.

So 2 questions. ...

Will the sweetness mellow out with age???
Can I mix it with something you make it drinkable? Like lemon-lime soda or something?

Recombine together and dry it out. Use any yeast you can get. Maybe standard ale yeast. BElgian or saison. Champaign yeast. Try krausening and raised temperature.

Why did you bottle at 1.035? Obviously not finished.

it was 1.035 for 2 weeks. I tried re pitching and nothing. only good thing I guess is I learned from it

Make a patersbier or something else with the same strain of yeast, bottle the something else, then put the quad on its yeast cake. As long as your recipe isn't something like 40% crystal malt, that's pretty much a sure-fire way to unstick a stuck fermentation.

ETA: Whoops! missed the part about how it's already in the bottle.

it was 1.035 for 2 weeks. I tried re pitching and nothing. only good thing I guess is I learned from it

did you consider brettanomyces?
but you should open all bottles and ferment it again for months in a carboy

Use a yeast nutrient next time if you try it again, and don't bottle it if its not done. I wouldn't dump the beer if the only problem is overly sweet. Try mixing in the glass as you use it up. First thing I'd try is about 1/2 shot of vodka to try to balance the sweetness. I've made some dry ciders that come out too tart and have mixed them with brown ale that was kind of blah and the drink was pretty good. You could also use the beer for cooking, I use Belgian beer in a Flemish beef carbonade recipe I found online that is very tasty.
As you ponder ways to salvage the beer you should try to figure out what went wrong in your process

add some saison yeast. I use one strain or another the supplement all my high gravity belgains. 1.035 sounds disgusting. Pour it over ice cream maybe

I did the same a few years ago. Ended up dumping all the bottles. I'd say that's the best bet for you too. Sure, you can mix it with stuff, do other things that will inevitably show up in posts below, but IMO sanity requires immediate disposal.

Dump, erase from mind, move on. That's how I maintain zen. Good luck!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this post is spot on. Dump it, dude.

I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but I could not be silent :) I actually found this while looking for a very sweet quad recipe, not looking for a way to make it less sweet. One of my favorite beers of all time is Firestone Walker's Stickee Monkee. The OG and FG are very similar to what you brewed and then they barrel age it. It is sweet, but is outstanding. They call it a Central Coast Quad. Doesn't necessarily taste like a Belgian to my palate, but it is amazing.
So if any of you guys "mess up" again and even consider dumping a batch of sweet quad goodness, I will send you my address for PROPER disposal!

I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but I could not be silent :) I actually found this while looking for a very sweet quad recipe, not looking for a way to make it less sweet. One of my favorite beers of all time is Firestone Walker's Stickee Monkee. The OG and FG are very similar to what you brewed and then they barrel age it. It is sweet, but is outstanding. They call it a Central Coast Quad. Doesn't necessarily taste like a Belgian to my palate, but it is amazing.
So if any of you guys "mess up" again and even consider dumping a batch of sweet quad goodness, I will send you my address for PROPER disposal!
You can mash high, use lots of unfermentable sugars and don't use a var diastaticus strain, avoid simple (sometimes called adjunct) sugars and you are good to go, basically this is what you would do for a pastry stout or any beer you want to finish high

Back