Belgian candy sugar modified koln clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiot

Reaction score
I am making a modified Kölsch clone. I use 3.3 lb pilsner malt 3.3 lb pale ale malt. 2oz of Hallertau. It is going to come out much darker than typical Kölsch. :D

The recipe right now cost me about $35. I know I can reuse yeast etc. I have a different question.

I have 2 ideas for making the ingredients cheaper one is eliminate the pilsner extract and use maybe 6-7lb of pilsner all grain malt instead. I would save about 8 bucks that way.

Another idea I have is to make Belgian candy sugar that I'll make myself. Problem is what part of the recipe to replace and how much to use. I don't have the slightest idea.

I can reuse yeast, buy the amber extract in a 33lb container, buy hops by the pound bringing my cost down to maybe 20 bucks.

One problem is these extract containers don't say what is in them so replacing them is trial and error. I herd good things about belgian candy sugar and it probably cost nothing to make.

How much do I use what should i replace to make the beer taste similar or better? It be good to add maybe 0.5% alcohol this stuff is only 4%.

I want a better cheaper beer, any help would be appreciated.

:tank:

I am making a modified Kölsch clone. I use 3.3 lb pilsner malt 3.3 lb pale ale malt. 2oz of Hallertau. It is going to come out much darker than typical Kölsch. :D

What makes you think using pilsner and pale malt will make a dark(er) beer? Also 6.6 lbs of grain seems really light (weight-wise). Is this a 2.5 gallon batch?

I have 2 ideas for making the ingredients cheaper one is eliminate the pilsner extract and use maybe 6-7lb of pilsner all grain malt instead. I would save about 8 bucks that way.

Eliminate what extract? Above you say you're using 6.6lbs of grain, nothing about extract.....

Another idea I have is to make Belgian candy sugar that I'll make myself. Problem is what part of the recipe to replace and how much to use. I don't have the slightest idea.

It's not incredibly hard, just tedious. Depending on what color you're going for, you can make your own in about 40 minutes or so:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/make-belgian-candi-sugar/

My batches usually come out to $15-20 depending on amount of hops used. That's my biggest cost hands down. My main ways of saving money are: Buying grain in bulk (sacks), hops in bulk (pounds), and harvesting yeast indefintiely from a single pack/tube.

If you are going to the bother of doing the grain for one of the extracts you might as well do it for both. All grain isn't hard to do at all and then you can save the extra cost of the extract on every batch. Do a little research on "Brew in a Bag". It's cheap, easy, effective, and can be high efficiency too.

The recipe right now cost me about $35. I know I can reuse yeast etc. I have a different question.

I can reuse yeast, buy the amber extract in a 33lb container, buy hops by the pound bringing my cost down to maybe 20 bucks.

One problem is these extract containers don't say what is in them so replacing them is trial and error. I herd good things about belgian candy sugar and it probably cost nothing to make.

How much do I use what should i replace to make the beer taste similar or better? It be good to add maybe 0.5% alcohol this stuff is only 4%.

:tank:

Just last month I brewed a Kolsch with 67% pils, 30% pale and 3% Carahell, as for the color, just like I was sitting in Cologne drinking it fresh from one of the many breweries, but taste wise way too malty for an authentic Kolsch. As for sugar I hate being a stickler, but avoid the sugar. I've never brewed with extract before, so not sure how it will turn out, you could stick with just pilsner and carahell(can you get this in extract?). Without the caramel malt the beer just falls flat and hollow in the palate, but don't go too heavy with the caramel so it's sweet. If you have the capability don't be afraid to ferment this beer cold, like around 12C, you'll be surprised how well it turns out, but if you don't have the ability I wouldn't worry about it.

Back