Belgian Golden Strong Ale Belgian Brother Golden Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
Yeast Starter
2L Starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Pitched at 62 and rose to 74 over course of a week, kept at 72 until FG was reached
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/a
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned
Tasting Notes
See below for detailed tasting notes...
247395_602884498059_58801067_33109494_547380_n.jpg

7 pounds Rahr Pale 2 Row
5 pounds Castle Pilsner
1 pound White Wheat Malt
2 cups Plain White Table Sugar

Mashed 6.5 Gallons @ 150 for 60 minutes
Batch Sparged 2 Gallons @ 170 for 20 minutes

0.5 Ounces Saaz 5.8% AAU @ 60
0.5 Ounces Saaz 5.8% AAU @ 23
1 Ounces Saaz 5.8% AAU @ 5
0.6 TSP Wyeast Yeast Nutrient
1 Tab Whirflock @ 15 minutes

Look: Crystal clear, light golden color, effervescent, gold is deep and strong while still light.

Aroma: Spicy light and fragrant hop aroma, strong malt presence in the aroma, slight fruity esters and moderate phenolics that create a complexity above what grist bill represents. Phenolics may be perceived as the spiciness from the Saaz hops, unable to tell.

Taste: Similar to aroma, crisp, light taste. Fruity esters are dominant, phenolics present mostly in the middle and very dominant in the aftertaste. Saaz hops provide a symbiotic relationship with the yeast phenolics. Alcohol taste not present at all.

Mouthfeel: Light, refreshing, dry crisp finish. Silky smooth initial mouthfeel with phenolics and a carbonation level that leave your tounge feeling pricked with small liquid barbs and wanting more.

Drinkability: The most drinkable beer I have made to date, extremely refreshing, satisfying, ever sip leaves you wanting more.

I made 10 gallons of this for my wedding and everyone loved it, raved about it, it was extremely flattering as the brewer to say the least. It was pretty damn cool to look around the room and see such a large group of people enjoying my brew...very rewarding experience!

DannPM said:
During the boil, I believe I added it either at the 10 minute or 5 minute mark so as not to potentially caramelize it to any noticeable degree.

That was my guess, but I wanted to be sure. I'm dying to knock out this recipe.

I made 10 gallons of this for my wedding and everyone loved it, raved about it, it was extremely flattering as the brewer to say the least. It was pretty damn cool to look around the room and see such a large group of people enjoying my brew...very rewarding experience![/QUOTE]

Yea the sight of people enjoying YOUR beer is awesome.. I might only of seen a few of my friends enjoy it... But if I saw a large group of people enjoying it. Well I might have a heart attack. It's look like a wonderful beer might have to try one time for a nice spring beer on my new Keezer:)

I was looking for a beer that can ferment at relatively higher temperatures, since my basement is holding at about 75. Came across this recipie and just brewed it up.

Based on a conversation at my LHBS, I altered the mash schedule a bit. He was saying how duvel starts the mash at 120 and slowly raises it to 150. Said he does it this way and it turns out great. Based on this, I mashed in at 120 for 30 min, then 135,then 145, then 150,each basically for 30 min.

I only got it cooled to about 72, unfortunately. Best I could do on a 97 degree day with no AC. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It self rose but I held it back along the way and had to artificially hold it at the higher temps towards the end of that run.

Nova, perhaps you entered 2 lbs of sugar instead of 2 cups (0.88 lbs)?

Brewed this today, sort of. Used American 2-row instead of Rahr, and i do not know the brand of german pilsen malt i used.

Also used 4oz of whole saaz hops rated at 3.0 AA, with a schedule adjusted in brewtarget until i arrived at an appropriate IBU rating for a belgian strong golden ale. I picked this recipe because i bought the hops cheap on clearance and they have been falling out of my freezer for months waiting for a recipe.

According to my refractometer i achieved an OG of 1.063, and i just now realized that i forgot the sugar, so I suppose I'm going to go make a simple syrup in the microwave and then wait for it to cool before pouring it into the primary.

Hey just came across this. Looks awesome and wanna try it. Just wondering what you used for carbonation and how much. Looks like you have a nice big frothy head so wondering what you used and how many volumes of CO2.

Could anyone recommend a dry yeast for this? I'd use the recommended liquid one myself, but I'm not the one brewing... this time. Thanks in advance, looks awesome.

Could anyone recommend a dry yeast for this? I'd use the recommended liquid one myself, but I'm not the one brewing... this time. Thanks in advance, looks awesome.

Safale S-33 claims to be for belgians including trappist style. Not that I've ever used it.

Brewed this about a month ago. Few slight tweeks due to availability of specific grains.
Ended up with 19L batch of some fine tasting Bale. The trappist yeast take about 3 weeks to finish properly and word to the wise use a slightly larger fermenter than you normally would. The high trappist yeast caused several blow outs!

Thanks DannPM for the recipe

I am going to make this...of course a few changes. I am going to use Wyeast Abbey Ale II Yeast. Also changing the hop schedule to 1 oz Saaz 1oz Amarillo at 30 minutes, 1 oz Amarillo at 5......the biggest reason for me brewing this is I found a jar of Abbey Ale II Yeast in the fridge and want to step it up for a Barley Wine.....which I am going to do a party gyle with most likely. So should be interesting.

So I made this had a very aggressive week 1, week 2 looks like things are starting to settle. Hoping by the 15th it clears, so I can keg this and put it on tap.

I need to get this one in the rotation again. It was amazing last year, and only got better with time.

TimpanogosSlim said:
Safale S-33 claims to be for belgians including trappist style. Not that I've ever used it.

I have used
S-33 several times- would be good choice in dry yeast. Currently have a HopManna clone and it fermented out great for a 9% IPA...

I used 2 lbs of Belgian candy sugar instead of the table sugar , I also used s-33 dry yeast for 10 gallon batch Og 1.074 do you think these changes will impact it very much?

Can I bulk age this in a Carboy or do I have to bottle age it

I'm of the opinion aging is always best in bulk, seems to get more character that way. If you do age for an extended period of time and then bottle condition it may be necessary to pitch a bit of new yeast at bottling time.

never saw any replies back to the people talking about using s33 with this. Has anyone used that yeast with this beer yet?

I used 2 packs of s-33 per 5 gal and it fermentation was crazy haven't taken a hydrometer sample yet I will thus week and let you know

Looking forward to hearing your results. I have meter used s33 but have been looking for a dry option for standard Belgians. I was fortunate enough to spend a week in Brussels and Bruge this summer. Most of the breweries and beer bars had as their house ale, a crisp dry blonde ale with just a hint of the "typical" peppery and phenolic Belgian yeast signature. I've read the term "firmly hopped" in several BJCP style guidelines. But I didn't understand how that translated into a balanced beer until I tasted some of those beers fresh from the brewery.

This recipe looks like something I could translate into a beer like that and I would like to use a dry yeast if I can. I am about to step up to 10 gal batches. I am considering making a smaller gravity version of this recipe and using s33 for half and the new danstar belle Saison for half.

winvarin said:
Looking forward to hearing your results. I have meter used s33 but have been looking for a dry option for standard Belgians. I was fortunate enough to spend a week in Brussels and Bruge this summer. Most of the breweries and beer bars had as their house ale, a crisp dry blonde ale with just a hint of the "typical" peppery and phenolic Belgian yeast signature. I've read the term "firmly hopped" in several BJCP style guidelines. But I didn't understand how that translated into a balanced beer until I tasted some of those beers fresh from the brewery.

This recipe looks like something I could translate into a beer like that and I would like to use a dry yeast if I can. I am about to step up to 10 gal batches. I am considering making a smaller gravity version of this recipe and using s33 for half and the new danstar belle Saison for half.

Stupid autocorrect. Meter =never

This beer is fermenting away VERY nicely! Wake up today(day 2) to find 9 liters of Krausen and foam!

Added 1 more pound of pilsner for lost efficency with BIAB. Scaled the recipe down to size of my pot. Increased the mash time to 85 minutes 65 c, and 10 minutes 75 c. Boiled 90 minutes. Ended up with 17,5 l of worth(supposed to be 14,9l)
Og was 1.69. Wow! Efficency! :D

856306_10152520630080268_946193660_o.jpg

This is my first All grain brew. Mash calculators say to use a total of 10.04 gallons of water. 4.32 gallons for the mash and 5.72 for the sparge. It's my first AG brew, so, I am a little confused. Any toughts? :confused:

Does anyone have a recipe that resembles Brother Thelonius? That stuff is my absolute favorite; i'd like to see if i could duplicate it.

Back