belgian brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it depends on how hung up you are on authenticity and whatnot. One thing to be cautious of is the carbonation levels. A typical Belgian beer is carbed higher than a typical American beer and longneck bottles aren't designed for that pressure. You can find Belgian beers commercially in capped bottles. Take a look at how hefty the glass is on them.

If you carb appropriately for the bottles, you should be fine.

For me, however, I wanted the Belgian beer experience. Check out the link in my sig for my bottle thread. It was fun and I really got a kick out of doing it.

Depends on the beer. I just did a Belgian that actively bubbled for 19 days. I am still seeing activity at 21 days. This one may take a while. I just checked gravity and it is very close but I am guessing it may need as much as six weeks to finish and clean itself up before I bottle it.Each fermentation is different and you just have to let the yeast do it's thing.

If it is a high gravity beer it may also take some time to bottle condition and carb up. Don't be in a rush .

I like the look of the corked and caged bottles, you can use whatever. It doesn't matter.

Do NOT use the 1,2,3 method, EVER. Don't transfer anything to a secondary or bottle it based on time alone, do it based on gravity.

My golden strong sat in the primary (corny kegs with the gas hose sitting in a bucket of StarSan, for 29 days before I bottled. I bottled on October 23 and they're JUST coming into their prime.

A Belgian is not a beer you rush.

I like the look of the corked and caged bottles, you can use whatever. It doesn't matter.

Do NOT use the 1,2,3 method, EVER. Don't transfer anything to a secondary or bottle it based on time alone, do it based on gravity.

Ok, I'm clueless - what is the 1,2,3 method?

Latest posts

Back